Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Respect The Work of Others >

Respect The Work of Others

Respect The Work of Others

Old 11-25-2014, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
I was under the impression that most selling patterns on ebay are selling the original pattern, ripped out of magainzes.

I can't imagine why anyone thinks that is a copyright violation if they are selling originals.
I have personally purchased patterns (crochet in this case, not quilting) from ebay, thinking that they were pages from magazines, as that's what was depicted in the photos, only to have them arrive and actually be bad photocopies of said pages. This happened with at least three sellers that I can recall (quite a few years ago). I was disgusted enough to stop buying patterns from ebay entirely. I questioned a couple of the sellers about it and got extremely rude replies.
Old 11-25-2014, 03:58 AM

Quilt shows I've entered require a written statement from the designer when basing a quilt on that persons design even if it's modified. I think that makes sense. Unfortunately it is sometimes difficult to contact a designer for that agreement.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:13 AM

This is such a sticky situation. Is it then illegal for us to have a sewing room "sale" at a quilt guild meeting to offer patterns we no longer use? And, if it's illegal to copy an idea, what about Pinterest? I totally understand not to purchase a pattern, make copies and then sell them as my own and for my own gain but beyond that, it seems it gets to be interpretation of the law. If I'm going to copy the pattern and charge or distribute that, I understand it is illegal. But, if I'm going to use the pattern to make a personal project, is that a problem? Seems, if it's in a magazine, it's already pretty much available for anyone to use. Who owns the copyright in that instance--the designer or the magazine?
Old 11-25-2014, 04:14 AM

I have seen on Amazon used patterns in the original packaging that quilters sell for a nominal fee when they are finished with them. Have never bought one but this post made me think of that.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:39 AM
Power Poster

You can resell any pattern for any amount of money as long as it is the original. Don't get bogged down with copyright law. Don't copy to give or resell and don't claim a design as your own and your are fine is what I go with.

Last edited by Onebyone; 11-25-2014 at 04:43 AM.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:34 AM

So where does the phrase " inspired by" fit into the copyright cloud?
Old 11-25-2014, 05:40 AM

Copyrights are a huge deal in the embroidery world. When I first started out someone sent me a bunch of tree and leaf designs. They were so cool and if anyone asked I passed them along. I found out later they were from a Brother card and here I was sharing. We even had people trolling on the different embroidery groups trying to get you to send them designs, and then bang down came the hammer. Rumor had it that a couple in Canada lost everything, machines, $, and even the right to embroider anymore. Hopefully a rumor, but these copyright cops, could be vicious. They were mostly connected to a certain big design company. I made sure I never bought any of their designs, ever. I just try and respect the designers creation.
Hetty G gave us some great info, but she does state you can't copyright an idea. Well, one designer made these shadow applique designs and copy righted them. They have been in the public domain for hundreds of years, but I suppose not by machine and she took them and has a patent on them now. Not sure if that is the same thing.
I think the golden rule applies very well here.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:32 AM

Several years ago I found a quilt pattern I really loved. There was a copyright printed on the back that stated the purchaser could not duplicate, copy or sell the pattern and that the finished product could not be sold or reproduced for sale to others or used for your own personal use. Why would I spend $12.00 for a pattern that I could not make for myself?????
Old 11-25-2014, 06:54 AM
Power Poster

Wonder how many pattern makers give credit to those that created before them and their designs look very similar to something made one or two hundred years ago?

Right or wrong, I feel that once I have purchased a pattern, I should be able to resell it, lend it, or give it away.

Notice, I did not say " reproduce the pattern."
Old 11-25-2014, 06:57 AM
Power Poster

Usually, if the pattern is free it's noted. There are so many free patterns out there and so many inexpensive patterns for sale. The thing is give credit where it's due. Celebrate the designer! They do make our lives a bit easier.