Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Respect The Work of Others >

Respect The Work of Others

Respect The Work of Others

Old 11-26-2014, 01:38 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
Based on this post, I guess I should not have gifted any of those quilt patterns I have sent to secret pals and secret santas. I wonder how many of them sent money to the pattern maker? How about the patterns I have used in the past, and gifted the quilts, or sold the quilts? Good thing I have given up using patterns as of today, so no one copy anything I post from now on, okay? I am so glad I can make my own patterns, so I will no longer be breaking any laws. Anyone want a huge pile of patterns, or am I required to burn them?
you need not worry.
as long as you gave or sold the original patterns and did not make copies to keep for your own use, you are well within the law.

as to whether or not one can legally sell a quilt made from a copyright protected pattern, i am personally a bit fuzzy.
unless they caught somebody mass producing the quilts i think they'd have a hard time getting past the first-use clause. my amateur decision would be to include the price of the pattern in the final cost of the quilt and send that pattern along with the quilt. the quilt customer has purchased the pattern. her "personal use" was to have somebody else make it.

the only grounds that might stand up in court [in my amateur mind] are that by purchasing the pattern, a person has agreed to whatever absurd terms of use the designer/publisher put in print. so, as others have already advised, the wise course of action is to not buy patterns with absurd terms of use.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:14 AM

Based on this post, I guess I should not have gifted any of those quilt patterns I have sent to secret pals and secret santas. I wonder how many of them sent money to the pattern maker? How about the patterns I have used in the past, and gifted the quilts, or sold the quilts? Good thing I have given up using patterns as of today, so no one copy anything I post from now on, okay? I am so glad I can make my own patterns, so I will no longer be breaking any laws. Anyone want a huge pile of patterns, or am I required to burn them?
No, that is not what is being said. I posted the info about the First Sale Doctrine. You can dispose of the copyrighted material any way you want. You can NOT copy it and give away the copies.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:35 AM
Power Poster

You need to reread what was posted. You have it all wrong.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
You need to reread what was posted. You have it all wrong.
no, I got the message right, but evidently this thread was sparked by my offering to trade another member for a pattern. I always thought you could trade the patterns with others, as long as it is the original not a copy. Mea culpa.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:42 AM

no, I got the message right, but evidently this thread was sparked by my offering to trade another member for a pattern. I always thought you could trade the patterns with others, as long as it is the original not a copy. Mea culpa.
You are right - you can trade the original. You cannot trade a copy or keep a copy for yourself.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:43 PM

I, myself, had asked for a copy of a pattern that another member had, which was in a magazine. I received a message from administrators, that was not allowed. I had not realized that, since the magazine was no longer being printed. As soon as I realized that was not right, I now try to locate the magazine myself, and if I can't locate it on ebay or amazon, then I move on to something else. There are BUNCHES of gorgeous patterns out there, but if I use a pattern designed/created by someone else, then they definitely deserve the credit that is due them, and on my labels, I include '...adapted from..."
Old 11-27-2014, 08:34 AM
Power Poster

When you need info about a pattern you don't have it's best to pm the person and not post on the board. Many posters mistake what you are asking about.

I looked for years for an out of print quilt book that had one pattern I wanted. I found many people here that had the book but wouldn't sell it as soon as they knew it was highly sought after. I emailed the author of the book and after many months got a reply of the pattern or book will never be re published so I would have to keep looking to find the book or maybe someone would copy the pattern for me from the book.
The author/designer did not have a copy of the book or kept the pattern info. ? But I got permission to have a copy of the pattern.

Last edited by Onebyone; 11-27-2014 at 08:49 AM.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:12 AM

Some time ago I saw a picture of a quilting design, a stencil I think, that I thought would be great for a baby quilt. I filed it away in the back of my mind till I got ready to finish the baby quilt I'm working on. I practiced drawing the design free hand on paper and then on a practice sample and now I've quilted it onto the quilt. I love it and was thinking of posting a picture. I've googled just now and can't find where I got the
idea from. Am I stealing someone else's work?
Old 12-01-2014, 10:47 AM

So here's a question ... I don't quilt with patterns. (I've done one!) I google quilt images and then find a pattern that I like, buy my fabric, design the pattern in powerpoint and sew away.

I donate most of mine - I have never signed any of my quilts, or named them ...

What am I doing wrong?
Old 12-01-2014, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by BettyGee View Post
The talented people who design the patterns for the quilts we make have their work protected by copyright. We should respect those rights. I erred when I advised that I had a copy of a magazine containing the pattern that some of our members wanted. I have no right to copy that pattern and give it to others. I will not violate the rights of the designer. The pattern for the quilt that some members want is available for sale. The designer is entitled to sell the pattern while I do not have that right. I apologize to all for any misunderstanding.
Yep. Thank you for your humbleness in this.