Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
In a slump!!! How can I get back in the swing of things? >

In a slump!!! How can I get back in the swing of things?

In a slump!!! How can I get back in the swing of things?

Old 11-22-2010, 06:22 AM

It sounds like you are not alone. Sometimes our hormones throw us a loop. I take Evening Premrose Oil (one a day and get it at Walmart). Google it for information. Get a new hair do or take a friend to lunch. Have faith, you'll get there. That right quilt pattern will grab you when you least expect it.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:27 AM

I think we've all been there. It's quilters burnout. I usually put everything away (since I don't have a sewing room) and do something completely different....like read a juicy book. After that, I usually find myself going thru quilting magazines because I am ready to start a new project. If I have left one on hold, I will return to it and finish it up. As a matter of fact I have two projects on hold, but since I am having surgery today I will keep it on the back burner a little while longer. Take time to change your daily routine. You will often find yourself interested in doing something for a short while before you get back into the swing of quilting. Quilters can't stay away from their machines for long.....it's just the itch to get back to creating. I'm sure everyone on this board will agree.....
Old 11-22-2010, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by grammyp
I usually take a break and "clean" my sewing room. That usually works to get me back in the mood to sew.
I think this is a GREAT idea to help get over a slump! Sometimes a good quilting magazine will help. But sometimes you just need to take a break.
Unfortunately, mine is a business, and I have customers waiting for their quilts for Christmas. I can't take a break until January or February!
But I also keep a different kind of project going, too, like knitting. It helps break up the routine.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:52 AM

I find that I have this block as well, When that happens, as many others stated, I clean and organize. Sometimes the clutter of the sewing area is what the 'block' really is.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:03 AM

This sounds awful but his mother is in our spare bedroom. hehehehe! I had to laugh outloud myself when I wrote this. My MIL is 91 and she has dementia. We are taking care of her.[/quote]

This could explain your slump too. Caring for a sick person can be very demanding and stressful. My mother is sole caregiver for my dad who also has dementia and I know it has taken a toll on her. Please get out of the house now and then if only to a movie or for a cup of coffee. Give yourself little breaks. God Bless.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:13 AM

The fact that you are taking care of you mother-in-law is a huge responsibility. Hopefully he is helping you. I was responsible for my father-in-law. He had full blown Alzheimer's, and I had to make all of the decisions because my husband was unable to. It is huge to take care of someone else who isn't you parent. But it is easier as it is not you own parent. I have been in a slump for over two years. I have had three family members die in a year and I know I am in a depression so what I am doing now is cutting out the patterns. Putting them in bags. I have not been able to sit down and sew. I know I will get to it soon.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:56 PM

I am in that state of non sewing right now. Been there to long to mention it here. Right now it is getting everything organized and put away or cataloged to sell it on here. DD is back living with us again, I do not know if she will ever move out for good. I am trying to remain upbeat and escape to my sewing room often. It is my haven and my prison. Right now I am turning a to small wool sweater into a purse. So working on a lot of small projects now to get over the hump. Smile, God has your back!
Old 11-22-2010, 06:51 PM

When this happens to me I like to try a mystery block or a block of the mo. project. Currently I have 3 going. I find both of these keep me guessing.
Good Luck
Gloria :-P
Old 11-23-2010, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Nolee
I love making potholders. I cut an 8 1/2" square of heat-resistant fabric and add one layer of batting to the back. I put a diagonal line on the heat-resistant fabric and start by putting a 2" strip x WOF in the middle of that line, then add more strips till it is to the edge. I cut around the heat-resistant fabric to get all the extra fabric off, then add backing and binding and it's done in less than an hour. They are always so beautiful when you finish them. You can also do crazy patches. I attached some pictures so you can see what I mean.
Nolee - thanks so much for this idea! I made two of them this afternoon! They really are fun!!!

String Potholders
[ATTACH=CONFIG]132636[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-132631.jpe  
Old 11-23-2010, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker
I don't know what's wrong with me. For about a month now, I haven't wanted to work on anything. I pick up something and work a minute and put it back down and get something else. Then I put it down. I can't seem to get back in the groove of things. I've had a lot going on in my life that I've had to deal with but around here, that's normal. I just can't seem to get my desire to quilt back. Maybe I'm burned out. Do any of yall ever feel this way???? How can I get that DESIRE back??? Help!!
You've suffered from this syndrome for 1 month?...Try a year!
I've made a couple runners, and still can't get motivated. I refuse to accept it's a burn-out. I even picked up my knitting needles again. That hasn't inspired me either.

I too, have had a lot going on, so I'm hoping things will get better for both of us, and we'll get inspired by all the great quilters on this Board. :thumbup: