Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
In a slump!!! How can I get back in the swing of things? >

In a slump!!! How can I get back in the swing of things?

In a slump!!! How can I get back in the swing of things?

Old 11-21-2010, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by janb
Originally Posted by Marlys
I think we all have those moments. When I have them I try a couple of different things. I have tons of jeans so I grab a pile and start cutting the usable parts. Then when I am ready to make a jean quilt the "yucky" part is done. Or I will go into my scrap bin and cut some of those into squares or strips. Even if I am not sewing, I feel like I got something accomplished and then the sewing bug eventually comes back!
What is the "yucky" part?
I think she doesn't like to cut up old pants. You know how it is cutting all of those seams out. It's not near as much fun as sewing them back together.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:09 PM
Jim

I have been there and I think all quilters go through it...to get out of a slump I look at magazines for inspiration and for patterns I've never tried. I always keep 3 or 4 quilts going at any time. I get bored with one and go on to another. But being close to Christams we are very busy quilting tops for others and making our own quilts for gifts I just finished a pointed fan dresden plate. My MIL says its gorgeous and I believe everything she says. :lol: You'll soon be out of your slump and stitching away
Old 11-21-2010, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by crankygran
Hope this is temporary however if it continues or affects other areas of your life see your Doctor. It is easier to treat depression from early stage. Ask me how I know.
Been there and done that too. Vitamin D and a smile really helps the depression. No, I don't think its depression. Maybe just a case of DROPSY and HEART TROUBLE.
You know, just DROP down anywhere and don't have the HEART to get up!
I'm taking some of yall's advice and I'm beginning to feel a little stirring deep in my gut. Only time will tell.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker
I don't know what's wrong with me. For about a month now, I haven't wanted to work on anything. I pick up something and work a minute and put it back down and get something else. Then I put it down. I can't seem to get back in the groove of things. I've had a lot going on in my life that I've had to deal with but around here, that's normal. I just can't seem to get my desire to quilt back. Maybe I'm burned out. Do any of yall ever feel this way???? How can I get that DESIRE back??? Help!!
OK! Start watching the mailbox. There's something coming. I sent it by alligator!

:lol:
Old 11-21-2010, 09:48 PM

Location: Muscatine, Iowa by way of West Virginia, Washington State, and Montana

Same here :-) Hugs

Originally Posted by quiltinghere
Yep - I get that way often - I feel like a need a 'block' of time to do something.

So when I'm in the mood you're in - I clean and organize. Then when I have that 'block' of time - I'm all ready to go.
I think that handling fabrics helps!
Old 11-21-2010, 09:52 PM

Do not feel alone. It happens to us all. It took me around 6 months before i wanted to quilt again. I also find that if i HAVE TO MAKE A QUILT, that is what puts the pressure on me and i do not feel like sewing, but if it is for fun...... yippppeeeee. It seems like i sew for around 1 1/2 years, then i have a breather and then back into the swing of things.
I have found a fantastic company in Johannesburg, SA who stitches my top quilt to the batting and does my binding, this allows me to carry on 'creating' more quilts. The JOINING takes me forever and they do a fanastic job.
Good luck, enjoy the break and when inspiration flows, you will enjoy quilting more. ♥ :thumbup:
Old 11-21-2010, 10:51 PM

#1peacemaker, this slump is your body telling you it needs a break to recover from stress, happens to me every year just after Christmas. Go with the flow and when the time is right it will happen.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:53 PM

This happens to me now and then and when it does I try to work on a small project, not a quilt. I've made little pin cushions, aprons for my grandsons... Just something to get you back in action and keep it small and not overwhelming. If possible, get together with other quilters and chat while you patch. Hope this helps!
Old 11-21-2010, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker
I don't know what's wrong with me. For about a month now, I haven't wanted to work on anything. I pick up something and work a minute and put it back down and get something else. Then I put it down. I can't seem to get back in the groove of things. I've had a lot going on in my life that I've had to deal with but around here, that's normal. I just can't seem to get my desire to quilt back. Maybe I'm burned out. Do any of yall ever feel this way???? How can I get that DESIRE back??? Help!!
Doing nothing from time to time is a good thing. It recharges the batteries, gets the creative juices flowing and allows you to discover new things about you and the world around you. Why not embrace it and wait for the glorious changes and new discoveries to come?
Old 11-22-2010, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by Nolee
Originally Posted by Dwbbie
Hello:
I am also in a slump! I have taken a break from all repairs and quilting, now I am on the look out for small or beautiful quick items that I can be inspired by to do for the holidays. Anyone know of anything that will be inspirational for us slumpers? Fast and cute ideas...I'd like to feel inspired by appliqued something or other. Andyone with ideas? Maybe something that I'd be able to do ten minutes a day or see it completed in part at least quickly.
Thanks!
I love making potholders. I cut an 8 1/2" square of heat-resistant fabric and add one layer of batting to the back. I put a diagonal line on the heat-resistant fabric and start by putting a 2" strip x WOF in the middle of that line, then add more strips till it is to the edge. I cut around the heat-resistant fabric to get all the extra fabric off, then add backing and binding and it's done in less than an hour. They are always so beautiful when you finish them. You can also do crazy patches. I attached some pictures so you can see what I mean.
I have done that too, but I put my backing fabric under the batting so I am quilting all the way through, then I just square it up and bind it. Sometimes I even cut the backing larger so I can self-bind by wrapping it to the front. In fact I need to make some for a small gift.