Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
In a slump!!! How can I get back in the swing of things? >

In a slump!!! How can I get back in the swing of things?

In a slump!!! How can I get back in the swing of things?

Old 11-22-2010, 04:35 AM

Good Morning: I was recently in the same position, just couldn't get motivated. Also, had lots of health issues in self and family. When my brain and body were ready I just seemed to automatically head back into my "sewing cave"((third bedroom)). Please try not to beat up yourself, this to shall pass. Sueinyuma
Old 11-22-2010, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by ShirlinAZ
Oh, I think you did solve it! DH is taking over and, like a good little wifey, you are stepping aside for him. Been there, done that! PUSH BACK!!! Take back your space and your hobby. Tell him you love him but you need him to stay out of your quilt area (at least for a while). Hope you regain control soon. -Shirley
Originally Posted by litacats
Girls, I may have accidently stumbled on to part of my problem. MY DH is taking OVER!! He has fabric and blocks everywhere!!!! Its driving me nuts!!
make him use a seperate room and leave you to yours :lol: :lol: :lol:
[/quote]

This sounds awful but his mother is in our spare bedroom. hehehehe! I had to laugh outloud myself when I wrote this. My MIL is 91 and she has dementia. We are taking care of her.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by sueinyuma
Good Morning: I was recently in the same position, just couldn't get motivated. Also, had lots of health issues in self and family. When my brain and body were ready I just seemed to automatically head back into my "sewing cave"((third bedroom)). Please try not to beat up yourself, this to shall pass. Sueinyuma
This is the same advice I was given when I was in labor with my second child. (This too shall pass) I'm feeling better already!
Old 11-22-2010, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker
Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
I love that Happy Daisies quilt but it doesn't look small or quick!! :D
What am I missing here???? lol
That may be why I put it on the back burner. But, then again, nothing I ever do is small or quick. It takes a while to hand stitch things. And my DH has stacked blocks all over my machine table. Girls, I may have accidently stumbled on to part of my problem. MY DH is taking OVER!! He has fabric and blocks everywhere!!!! Its driving me nuts!!
He quilts too? Wow!
Old 11-22-2010, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by luvrazz
I am also in a slump, my husband passed away 3 months ago and you would think that I should be quilting, quilting, quilting, because I don't have to stop and make dinner or any other thing that a husband requires but instead I just sit and watch TV. So I have decided to take an applique class the Sunday after Thanksgiving to try to take me out of this slump... Sure hope this works...
Good idea to take a class. My hubby passed away 9 years ago this coming Dec. 2. I know what you are feeling. It gets better. I took up quilting the year after he died. What a blessing it has been.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by Dwbbie
(I'd like to change my name to 'Debbie" instead of what it is here...)
Hello:
I am also in a slump! I have taken a break from all repairs and quilting, now I am on the look out for small or beautiful quick items that I can be inspired by to do for the holidays. Anyone know of anything that will be inspirational for us slumpers? Fast and cute ideas...I'd like to feel inspired by appliqued something or other. Andyone with ideas? Maybe something that I'd be able to do ten minutes a day or see it completed in part at least quickly.
Thanks! Debbie
Click on your name and go to yur profile and alter it. then you can be whoever you want to be. Hehehehe! Also, you might want to start a new thread with this question. You'll have a bigger response. And we might both get some new ideas. One lady did give a link to some neat wine coasters.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Nolee
Originally Posted by Dwbbie
Hello:
I am also in a slump! I have taken a break from all repairs and quilting, now I am on the look out for small or beautiful quick items that I can be inspired by to do for the holidays. Anyone know of anything that will be inspirational for us slumpers? Fast and cute ideas...I'd like to feel inspired by appliqued something or other. Andyone with ideas? Maybe something that I'd be able to do ten minutes a day or see it completed in part at least quickly.
Thanks!
I love making potholders. I cut an 8 1/2" square of heat-resistant fabric and add one layer of batting to the back. I put a diagonal line on the heat-resistant fabric and start by putting a 2" strip x WOF in the middle of that line, then add more strips till it is to the edge. I cut around the heat-resistant fabric to get all the extra fabric off, then add backing and binding and it's done in less than an hour. They are always so beautiful when you finish them. You can also do crazy patches. I attached some pictures so you can see what I mean.
thanks for the pictures. I have been thinking about doing some potholders for Christmas. (And for me. Mine are AWFUL looking)
Old 11-22-2010, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by GailG
Originally Posted by #1piecemaker
I don't know what's wrong with me. For about a month now, I haven't wanted to work on anything. I pick up something and work a minute and put it back down and get something else. Then I put it down. I can't seem to get back in the groove of things. I've had a lot going on in my life that I've had to deal with but around here, that's normal. I just can't seem to get my desire to quilt back. Maybe I'm burned out. Do any of yall ever feel this way???? How can I get that DESIRE back??? Help!!
OK! Start watching the mailbox. There's something coming. I sent it by alligator!

GailG, what am I going to do with you??? I love you my friend! You sure know how to pick a girl up. You know how I love surprises!!! OHHHH, I feel something happeneing!!!!! Stand back! Whewwwwwwwww!

:lol:
Old 11-22-2010, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by Suziuki
#1peacemaker, this slump is your body telling you it needs a break to recover from stress, happens to me every year just after Christmas. Go with the flow and when the time is right it will happen.
You are probably right!
Old 11-22-2010, 05:33 AM

You have all given me such great advice. I am blessed. This is a wonderful place and yall are a wonderful group of people! Thanks for the insights and reminders. I feel a definite stirring going on inside. In the mean time, I'll do a little cleaning, relaxing, reading, shopping and fondling of fabric. Surely something will get the old creative juices flowing!!! Thanks to you all.