Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sometimes it's hard to admit who you are - am I nuts? >

Sometimes it's hard to admit who you are - am I nuts?

Sometimes it's hard to admit who you are - am I nuts?

Old 07-13-2014, 04:52 AM

Default Sometimes it's hard to admit who you are - am I nuts?

I'm not a fabulous quilter and don't think I ever will be. So many are magnificent in their detail and workmanship that I am in awe and even though I would love to say "I did that!" it's not me. My favorites are the simple, happy quilts, full of vibrant color and cheer, many of which are those made for kids. The personality of fabrics made for kids just makes me so happy.

The same with dolls. I see art dolls and I had to make one, but you know what? She's an art doll, very imperfect, but sort of stand-offish. You can't pick her up and hug her, change her clothes or confide in her. I like her, but she doesn't make me as happy as the ones that end up going to someone who loves them.

So...I'm just going to continue to make happy dolls and fun quilts.

Am I crazy? I'm 56 years old and feel like I should 'grow up' but I feel most comfortable in my little world.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:56 AM

good for you
Old 07-13-2014, 04:56 AM

You answered your own question. If you feel confortable in your little world, then enjoy it! Who says you have to make a certain type of quilt, it's your life, do what you want!
Old 07-13-2014, 04:58 AM

I too will never be a master quilter but what I create makes me happy so.......stay happy and keep the child in you nourished!
Old 07-13-2014, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by jetayre View Post
I too will never be a master quilter but what I create makes me happy so.......stay happy and keep the child in you nourished!
I think you hit on it...I'm nourishing the child I never was.

explain: one of those things that life throws on a family - younger brother died (changed our lives), father worked long hours construction in Boston, and I had to help my mother with 3 younger sisters and present myself accordingly. Funny how you look back at things at 30 then at 50 you're whole perspective changes. No animosity there; life is quite the lesson, isn't it?

Last edited by Butterfli19; 07-13-2014 at 05:29 AM. Reason: felt I had to explain
Old 07-13-2014, 05:27 AM

The only person you have to please is yourself. It's too bad that it takes so long to learn that. Once learned, life is so much easier. So, congrats on being happy with who you are. Some people can never accomplish that.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:35 AM

Yes, congrats about doing what makes you happy. Actually I'm quite similar to you, just substitute teddy bears for dolls! And I'm over 60.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:40 AM

Even though you were forced to grow up before your time, think how well you could handle a crisis now! Sometimes I think that the younger folks don't how to manage when life gets them by the tail, and my job entailed dealing with people in crisis. (Very recently, someone young asked me what the women of yesteryear did with their time when they didn't have so many meetings to attend? I replied, "You mean after the cows were milked, the chickens fed, the wool spun, the gardens tended, the children birthed on the table and then tended, the clothing all made, the water packed to the wash, the wash hung out, brought in and ironed, and everything made from scratch for a meal which they actually sat down and ate three times a day, all with no electricity or other mechanical help?" She was close to me or I wouldn't have been so blunt!) Think of it this way: Now you can enjoy the freedom of youth with a lot more knowledge than you would have had then.

Last edited by Quilter 65; 07-13-2014 at 05:42 AM.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:50 AM

If what you do doesn't make you happy - no matter what it is - there is no reason to do it !!!!! Life is too short. THAT takes some years on the calendar to figure out......some of us are lucky and figure it out sooner rather than later. Someone once said to me that in life we learn by trial and error --- "it's a multiple choice test....but unfortunately you get tested on what you have not yet had a chance to learn."
Old 07-13-2014, 06:13 AM

But it's such a contrast to what my whole life has been! "do this, say that, wear that, speak when spoken to", I even married a man like that, but we are divorced 21 years now. Still single, no luck with relationships but I think I'm too serious sometimes and truthfully, even though it would be nice to share my life with someone, I don't think that's in my stars. But otoh, you don't meet someone until you find you own self, so maybe...

Pennif - that's an interesting statement: "you get tested on what you have not yet had a chance to learn"