Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Suggestions on sewing machines >

Suggestions on sewing machines

Suggestions on sewing machines

Old 05-10-2016, 07:50 AM

Since you're in Edmonton, I would suggest going to Johnson's Sewing Centre to look at machines and talk to the sales staff. No affiliation, just a happy former customer. When I was in university (over a decade ago,now) I lived walking distance from the downtown store, and they were really nice about letting me try machines, and not pressuring me into buying. They also had used machines, which I would recommend for you since you're just beginning.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:02 AM

My "wish list" would consist of: needle down capability, a thread cutter, auto threader, large harp and a knee lift. Also, a dealer who is willing and able to help you out as needed.

Watson
Old 05-10-2016, 10:13 AM

I have always bought used machines from a dealer and they do a great service on them before they sell them. I would suggest you buy a machine in your own budget and just see if you like quilting. Then as you improve and move on you will see what features you would like on a machine. I agree with the QB members that "needle down" is a great feature and also a 1/4" foot would be a great asset along with a walking foot. Good luck on your search.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:19 AM

I agree with what PaperPrincess said completely.

I have just recently started using my mother's old 301A and I have to admit that I'm really liking it for piecing. My Bernina 180 is still my go to for garment construction and mending though. Machine likes and dislikes are very personal. Go to some dealers and try out what they have. Finding what type of machine you are comfortable with is the most important thing. I'm also big on deal support and their guide classes.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:08 PM

It's my opinion that a built-in feature works better than an attachment, and since you will eventually need a walking foot, you might as well get the machine that has them built-in: Pfaff. My local dealer offers one-on-one lessons whenever you want them. Get a good dealer.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by christy81 View Post
Hi everybody. I just joined the forum yesterday and have received the warmest welcome. Since I am a beginner and have never quilted before what would be the best sewing machine to purchase? What functions am I looking for if any on it? Is a used sewing machine just as good? Thank you for any and all suggestions.
I have been quilting for YEARS, and when I started back at this wonderful hobby, I started with a used "old" (15-91) Singer that I got for $50.00. Had it services (another $50.00) and am still using it.....My most recent purchase was a Bernini 1630 that I got for $600 at my Bernini deal;er, who took it in on trade.......It is SO QUIET that you really cannot hear it running......I concur with the other suggestions to visit dealers in your area......try out several machines, but start out with something basic that is good quality ( I would stay away from the new Singers that Joann Fabric sells because they seem to have many problems )...A good used machine from a dealer is something you will not go wrong with..........HAVE FUN with your new hobby......and CONGRATS on finding and joining this Board at the beginning of your journey!
Old 05-11-2016, 03:52 AM

Welcome. You will get a lot of advice/info here. I know I have learned so much and enjoyed other's projects shared. As far as a sewing machine - I would try different ones and read about the different machines on the Internet. Good luck.
Old 05-11-2016, 05:35 AM

Welcome to the QB... You are going to love this wonderful, knowledgeable and helpful group of quilters. When began my quilting journey in 2011, I started out with an old simple Pfaff that was gifted to me ... You can always upgrade down the road when you decide what kind of sewer you want to become. : )
Old 05-11-2016, 07:24 AM

I agree with the previous statements about going to a dealer and check out the machines. But I would caution you to ask to get some references from other customers of that dealer. Not all dealers have competent repair and service people. If that is the case your machine now becomes useless as other more reliable dealers may not want to service the machine.. Also check the Better Business Bureau for reports about the dealers in your area.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Everyone is going to answer that their machine is best! I would visit sewing machine dealers in your area. Purchasing a machine from a dealer will give you someone to call if you have a problem. Many dealers have previously owned machines that they sell with a limited warranty and sometimes a lesson or two on basic usage & maintenance. Until you decide what type of quilting you are going to do, an entry level machine with a zigzag stitch, needle down option and a built in threader is really all you need. If you like quilting, you can eventually invest in a machine with more bells & whistles.
I agree with PaperPrincess. Buy from a local dealer. I was given 4 hours free lessons when I bought my wonderful Pfaff. I have had free advise over the phone when I didn't know what I was doing, and have stopped in with my Pfaff thinking it needed servicing when the person on the floor did a minor adjustment for free. I also take it in for a yearly maintenance without having to send it through the mail somewhere.