Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
taking pictures in quilt stores >

taking pictures in quilt stores

taking pictures in quilt stores

Old 03-31-2015, 01:47 PM
RST

Generally speaking, it's not the customer's job to win over the retailer. Sales people and owners who behave like that are shooting themselves in the foot. They need to compete with online retailers-- sure. So they're going to have to do that by being more pleasant and more supportive environments, by offering things that online stores can't, and by winning the buyer's loyalty.

Think how that scenario could have gone. Sales person notices you using phone camera. "Can I assist you with anything?"

Buyer "No, I just wanted to record this information so I can figure out how I can use this fabric which I love. Gotta go home and look through my patterns to see what kind of yardages I'd need."

Salesperson: "I hear you -- that is such a lovely line. Would you like me to cut a small sample for you so you can see what you have in your stash that coordinates? Also, we have other prints over here that would be amazing in combination. Would you like me to put your name on a mailing /call list so I can notify you when we get the next shipment of this line? It's very popular, and we find that we're selling out the bolts within a week or so."

Alternatively, the sales person could offer asssistance by looking up patterns online and seeing yardage requirements for you then and there.

I love a good brick and mortar fabric store as much as anyone, but if they want to survive, they need to keep up with the changing markets and the shift in how people shop.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:51 PM

I think a carefully worded sign on the door or somewhere prominent in the store, stating how taking pictures of fabric and bolt information can be a problem. I'm sure a creative shop owner can come up with a witty way of saying this.
I'm sure that shop owner watched at least 3 other people taking pictures that day and had just had enough. BUT, she probably could have treated our friend better. Gina
Old 03-31-2015, 02:03 PM
RST

In my opinion, it should not be a problem to take photos of the bolt end. That's useful information for many reasons, not all of them having to do with purchasing online. Making a policy like that is going to put off potential customers in a time when brick and mortars should not be driving anyone away. Very short sighted.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:49 PM

The salesgirl may have been the shop owner or had an investment in it. I work at JoAnns----and sell at craft shows. Table toppers are one of my items that I sell. One of my fellow co-workers told me that a lady was buying quilt fabric, and when she asked what she was making, the woman pulled out her cell phone & showed her a picture of my craft table display!! She told her she was going to copy my toppers to sell and craft shows!! My friend didn't know what to say to her---and I've been looking for them at craft shows---but to no avail. So I can see both sides of this dilemna! Many people are tring to "one up" ---whether trying to find a product cheaper---or copy another ones work.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:03 PM
Power Poster

I was in Barnes and Nobles and saw a woman taking pictures of pages in a knitting book. I also saw several women taking pictures of recipes in new cookbooks. I asked the employee if that was allowed. He shrugged and said he wasn't allowed to stop them. He said people do it all the time. The woman taking the pictures of the knitting book had two pre teen girls with her. They see her doing it and think it's okay!
Old 03-31-2015, 04:11 PM

My two cents is she shouldn't have been rude to you as you obviously meant to spend money at her store. Sorry this was the case. Someone had mentioned keeping your phone in your pocket but honestly I've never taken a picture of fabric to later buy online. My phone doesn't have the little app you can scan the barcode either. But I do use my phone's calculator in fabric shops to figure how much something might cost in the amount I need. Or how much something is going to be if it has a discount. I use it in any store for that type of thing.

As far the LQS owners that have people rude enough to come in, take a picture and leave. Perhaps a sign at the front of the store stating that this is not allowed would help or even some humor. "There will be a one dollar for each photo you would like to take in our store." Or actually charge these people
Old 03-31-2015, 06:42 PM

In my experience, those that are going to shop online for best price no matter what will only buy at the LQS if they cannot get it anywhere else. Had I been the recipient of this person's customer service, I'd have returned anything already purchased, put down anything I was considering for purchase and quietly explained to the shrew why she's lost my business and that of anyone who asks my opinion of her shop. Service has to be the differentiator as price is not likely to be. I will happily spend much more at my LQS because I'm treated quite well there and enjoy the experience and value the experience and opinions of the staff.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:54 PM

I seem to be so out of the loop!! I've never taken a picture of fabric, or end of bolt information. I do however, save a lot of pictures of quilts I like. I look at them, and most often change something to make it more to my liking. I'd never copy something exactly and pass it off as my design though.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Keepsake Quilting has always blocked out all the end of bolt info and, with one or two exceptions, they never refer to fabric by manufacturer or line name in the store, on the phone or online.
i was in KQ a few days ago, and a woman was taking a staff member to task over this. She was very insistent that the labels on the ends of the bolts could be positioned in a different way, but the salesperson said that "they" just go down the bolts, shooting the stickers onto them and (by implication) are too pressed for time to notice where the stickers go. Ok, I thought, but do all the bolts get the same sticker? Aren't they different prices?

I am going there tomorrow and will look more carefully, but one thing I do know is that my joints hurt when pulling bolts down to unwind and look for the manufacturer, and it would be way easier to tip them down and read the label. Even then, the last time, the bolts were wedged so tightly together that another quilter reached over to help me. I don't look particularly frail (haha), but as soon as I made the "muffled pain" noise, she offered to help. Are quilters wonderful folks or what?

hugs,
Charlotte
Old 04-01-2015, 02:35 AM

Had that happened to me, I would have immediately put down anything I had planned to purchase and left the store - AND then mentioned the bad service to my friends. I am not a prolific quilter, and as far as creativity goes, I have very little - so when I go to quilt shops , I am often doing it for inspiration as much as material. If I see something made up, I want to take a picture to inspire me to make it later on, an and I always buy something in these stores.
I understand the problems in local small shops, but you have to make customers want to come back - not run them out the door.