Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tale of Woe and Lesson learned  .. I hope >

Tale of Woe and Lesson learned .. I hope

Tale of Woe and Lesson learned .. I hope

Old 03-12-2015, 05:23 AM

Oh no! I know that feeling - I did nearly the same thing. On my own project, at least, but one that I was rushing to finish (always happens when you're rushing!) and I felt just sick to my stomach. I ended up being able to mostly fix it but it wasn't as good as the original job had been, sigh! You did a great job fixing this mistake, nobody will ever know it was there except you two, and might even make the quilt that much more special to your friend because it has a little hidden, secret story to it! Thank goodness it was a scrappy quilt and not something that you had to try to find out-of-print fabric for or something!
Old 03-12-2015, 06:01 AM

Whew...............great save too. I'm sure your friend appreciated your honesty and felt your pain. Glad she turned out to be the great friend you thought she was.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:21 AM

Remove all permanent markers from the sewing/quilt room!
Old 03-12-2015, 07:32 AM

You are not alone, my friend! I use and love the FRIXION markers that disappear when you press them (the lines reappear in very cold -- refrigerator-like conditions, though; but that's not a worry.) Anyway, I was also marking a quilting pattern on a quilt top. The Frixion pen was right next to a permanent marker and, you guessed it, I inadvertently picked up the wrong one! YIKES! The good thing, however, is I drew on only one block. Whew! That was a lesson WELL learned!
Old 03-12-2015, 07:42 AM

beautiful job of fixing it.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:53 AM

When I was very young, we used dry faultless starch mixed into a paste and applied to ink stains, and let them sit in the sun for several hours. The starch always seemed to draw out the ink stain, and the starch washed out. That has been many years ago, and I cannot guarantee this would work on the markers manufactured in our world recently. It'd be worth a shot! I've also used a hair shampoo (Suave-probably cheapest brand on the market) to remove ironed-in blood stains from a pin prick to my fingers. The fabric was 100% polyester, but I had ironed the baby dress and I just knew I had ruined it! Oh, so much work with all the ribbon and lace, etc. on that little dress! Of course, not as much as the quilt, obviously, but I wasn't ready to trash what I had done and start over without trying something! LOL Your save looks great and friendship is an extremely valuable commodity of relationships in this world. Where would we be without our friends?!

Jeanette

Jeanette
Old 03-12-2015, 08:16 AM

I'd be a nervous wreck, but your friend worked with you and what a great save. All of my permanent pens are in a cigar box, from my FIL who watches with amusement from Heaven, and kept far away from my fabric. You have a true friend that didn't freak out and throw you to the wolves, plus it all worked out. We all do this kind of thing at one time or another. We take such care in measuring, sewing that elusive 1/4 inch seam and then a weird thing messes us up. Do you think it is to keep us from becoming overconfident? Ain't gonna ever be that confident.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:41 AM

Hair spray can remove markers sometimes, and always removes ball point pen ink. I use Aqua Net for that. If you use permanent markers on a white board, use an eraseable marker and squibble all over it, then erase.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:35 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Saved both the quilt and the friendship !
Old 03-12-2015, 09:42 AM
Power Poster

You have a great friend, definitely a keeper. I'm sure we've all done something similar, but I would have been devastated, although I've done some things worse than what you did, so we've most of us been there. So glad it worked out.