Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
thimble thimble whos got the thimble >

thimble thimble whos got the thimble

thimble thimble whos got the thimble

Old 10-26-2014, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Gannyrosie View Post
I like my fingernails, so an enclosed thimble doesn't help me. Can't get used to them either. So I've resorted to the little round pads made out of leather. Because it's what I've now gotten accustomed to, it's what I use all the time.
One of the reasons I like the thimblelady thimbles is because they are open-ended. I keep my nails (when I actually have them) without issues.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:55 PM

I like to use the small leather pads that stick to my finger. Couldn't get used to a regular thimble and these work great for me
Old 10-27-2014, 03:11 AM

I couldn't use a thimble either, until I discovered the leather thimble. I love it.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
Geri B, are you referring to the book? The thimble? I bought the book used on amazon, I don't think it was much, around $20? The thimble a few years back was $15 purchased on line.
Maybe I am reading something wrong.....I went to thimblelady site.....btw, seems kind of wordy and difficult to find thimbles, anyway finally did....cheapest is plastic for $15.00, next cheapest is stainless steel $42.00.... Did not even bother to check out S&H......went to amazon....some sort of package deal close to $100.00.......I will pass...my luck I would lose the dumb thing like I have lost one of pairs of good earrings! And I don't do that much handquilting and regular hand sewing I can do with a regular thimble.....I do have the aunt Becky gizmo, but hand quilting is a winter thing, so have not tried it yet......but is right around the corner......
Old 10-27-2014, 04:51 AM
Power Poster

I like the Natural Fit Leather Thimble by Clover. I bought it off Amazon for a great price ($10) and no shipping. It's soft and long enough that it doesn't pop off.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:29 AM

I find the thimble so awkward that I don't use one at all. I do get stuck occasionally but I am able to quilt better than with one.

Susan
Old 10-27-2014, 06:13 AM

My first thimble was one my Grandmother used to teach me hand sewing and quilting. The problem was that I have a big bump on the side of my finger and the thimble made my finger sore. My Grandfather made me a leather thimble that fit and didn't wear on the bump. I have use leather thimble ever since. I would try on several and see what works for you.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:15 AM

I must have over a dozen different thimbles. When I was at a quilt show in Walla Walla, WA, I saw the Clover thimble with the rubber or neoprene on it demonstrated, so I decided to buy and try. I love it! It stays on very well. The only drawback I've noted is that sometimes my thread gets caught in between the metal cap and the rubber, so I have to be careful or it will unthread from my needle.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:17 AM

A thimble is worth learning to use, I promise. You will be able to sew through much thicker items, and you won't have a sore finger, which I can guarantee if you don't use a thimble. The thimbles with openings, usually on one side of the top to make room for your nail, are often more comfortable since your finger doesn't get as hot. And, the little leather dots are very good, too, because the dots stay on for a long time, and they can be saved for the next sewing session if you put them somewhere easy to remember. The way I made myself use a thimble was to buy an expensive (to me) Roxanne thimble, and then I had to justify it by using it all the time!
Old 10-27-2014, 08:01 AM

I use an UltraThimble to protect my under finger and an open ended thimble on my upper hand. It is made by Clover and has two bands that fit around the rest of your finger that you can adjust to fit. I also use my pointy finger sometimes and this thimble works great.