Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
thimble thimble whos got the thimble >

thimble thimble whos got the thimble

thimble thimble whos got the thimble

Old 10-27-2014, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
<snip>.....I do have the aunt Becky gizmo, but hand quilting is a winter thing, so have not tried it yet......but is right around the corner......
I will be very interested to hear how you progress with Aunt Becky. I couldn't believe how fast the woman was quilting with it on the youtube demo I saw!</snip>
Old 10-27-2014, 08:18 AM

Just checking - you are using a thimble that has a flat end with a ridge on it, right? That's to hold the needle as you're pushing it through several up and downs. It took me forever to learn to get the thread end of the needle in that ridge area (I kept using the side of my finger - the middle finger), but once getting it down, my stitches got smaller and much more even. As to grasping the thread, I use the little round balloons with the "neck" cut off and put one over my index finger. Works like a dream and I have a lifetime supply for a buck!
Old 10-27-2014, 12:05 PM
Power Poster

Don't feel bad - I wish I could recommend something to you, however, I never mastered using a thimble, because every time I put one on, I would use another finger. Oh well, I tried. Good luck though as I wish I could have learned.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:09 PM

Thank you all for the information and help yes I see that Alex Anderson uses her pointer finger I have ordered some of the finger pads made of leather and I am still trying each day to get use to the thimble from clover I am determined not to let this stop me. I love this board and all you ladies thank you
Old 10-27-2014, 03:43 PM

I too have the thimble problem. No matter which finger I have it on I use the other. I found a thick quality packaging tape like duck brand works well. Just like having a thick skin on your finger and I can get a LOT of thimbles out of that roll.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:39 PM
Power Poster

I have never mastered the thimble. I have tried plastic, metal and leather but I can't stand it when my finger feels sweaty.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:02 PM

Well, once again, I'll say what I do. I've used thimbles off and on for garment sewing over the years but when I began to try to learn hand quilting, I realized the thimble was driving me crazy. I bought 4 or 5, metal and the soft rubber or vinyl kind. Nothing worked well; they wouldn't stay on, or they got in the way. In desperation on day I cut the thumb and finger out of an old kid glove (dress glove) that fit my hand nicely, and what do you know?! The glove fingers fit, stay on, and protect my fingers. I cut the glove fingers rather long, at least two inches and they stay on well. I still have problems wearing something on the under hand, though, because I need to "feel" the needle.

I do at times use the soft rubber thimble I bought, along with the glove fingers, but I don't think I'll ever learn to use a metal thimble for hand quilting.

Last edited by Friday1961; 10-27-2014 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:19 PM

I have an expensive, silver Thimblelady thimble, and gel ones, and leather ones, little stainless steel pads that stick to your fingers, etc, etc. I have found that a cheap metal thimble works as well as any of them. The secret is in how you hold the needle to the thimble when using it. I put the needle on the "side" of the thimble when sewing and using the tip of the thimble when pushing the needle through the fabric. I don't know if that explains it very well but it is the technique more than the thimble. I had tried years to use thimbles and always thought that it had to be the thimble and not my technique using it. It seems so simple. I was watching a lady in one of my groups using one and just sat and watched her. I realized how she was manipulating the needle on the thimble.
So one day, as I was sewing on a binding and it just clicked to use the needle on the side of the thimble and the flat, dimpled end to push through the fabric like my friend was doing and lo, I was finally using a thimble!! Hope that helps. Try not to spend lots of money on thimbles, the cheapy ones work fine once the technique is figured out...
Old 10-28-2014, 09:43 AM

I use the sticky leather dots. Buy them by the package. Have them stuck to pin cushions, spools of thread, lamp, side of machine but I only use them when I really need one.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:59 AM
Power Poster

I learned a long time ago when I started hand sewing what thimble to use and on what finger. A few pokes and drops of blood taught me. I keep my thimbles nearby. Have about 3 of 7 different kinds.