Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Those oh so funny remarks about quilting... >

Those oh so funny remarks about quilting...

Those oh so funny remarks about quilting...

Old 12-11-2011, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by RenaB View Post
My response to the one that stated this would be, I do not see how because I do not sell my quilts to WalMart so how can they be the same?

I have found these people are jealous that they do not have the drive, talent, or patience to make beautiful art but yet wish they could.
If I ever heard that about WalMart I would just show a shocked expression & say " Really? You buy your heirlooms at WalMart!?!"
Old 12-11-2011, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Derla View Post
The remark that stays with me came from my husband. I had been knitting or crocheting afghans for nieces and nephews, when he suggested that I start getting into something cheaper to make -- like quilting. Little did he know he had started
me on a much more expensive way of gifting. But I've been quilting ever since.
Serves him right, I'd say. LOL
Old 12-11-2011, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by nhweaver View Post
I forgot the one from my mil (now deceased, and I hesitate to speak evil of those who are no longer with us), she was a phenominal seamstress and at times snippy, who critiqued my first grandbaby handquilted quilt that I made (at the baby shower), to my daughter when she opened the gift,she said "those stitches are so uneven, give me that "thing" and I will do it right!!!" It was my best effort at the time, my daughter thanked her, and went on opening the gifts. Everyone else at the shower was impressed with my efforts.
Ouch! I'm glad you persevered despite her cutting remarks.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
I am so done with this thing of women putting other's skills/work/craft down, ya know?
Hear, hear! I so admire all the work I've seen on this board, whether it's done the way I would choose to do it or not. I truly value the friendship of people who invest time in making art, which is what these beautiful quilts are. Arts and crafts enrich our lives, and it's each artist's choice about how to create each piece.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:56 AM
Power Poster

I bet you could give 10 people on here identical piles of fabric and each would create his or her own unique style quilt - I bet no two would be identical!!!
Old 12-11-2011, 07:26 AM

Even before I sewed, handmade items were so special to me. I was in awe and afraid to use these beautiful pieces. I have my great grandmother's quilts, cherished baby blankets made by talented women, and a gorgeous knitted afghan from my MIL.

I think we're all a lucky group to have a hobby we love so passionately. Quilting is so much fun and quilters are some of the nicest and generous people I've ever met. We're artists, and art can be very subjective. Just smile and ignore the ignorant. And above all, keep having fun doing what you like doing!
Old 12-11-2011, 07:37 AM

hello in Holland -- my husband has family that lives in Wassenaar - is that far from you. She too is a quilter/crafter/stitcher.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Suedon View Post
I overheard the following at a quilt show: "I could never be a quilter because my arms are too short. All of the quilts
Here were made by "long arm " quilters".
I love that! Thanks for a great quilting joke!
Old 12-11-2011, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Suedon View Post
I overheard the following at a quilt show: "I could never be a quilter because my arms are too short. All of the quilts
Here were made by "long arm " quilters".
Ding ding ding ding ding!!!! We have a winner for the funniest comment!! This one made me laugh out loud, and I shared it with everyone I know!!!!
Old 12-11-2011, 09:02 AM

Last year I had crocheted a pair of fingerless gloves for a young fellow who is a seasonal worker in my area and so he asked me to make another pair for him to give his brother for Christmas. He paid me a reasonable price for the gloves BTW.
This year he wanted me to make him a quilt for his mom for Christmas. This was mentioned oh maybe the beginning of November. I politely told him I had at least 8 quilts ahead of any more I would be starting...some of which had been started and were intended for birthdays 2 years ago. His response, well maybe you'll have it done next year when I get back! Granted this year has had more than the usual amount of interruptions so getting the ones I have started done is not as far fetched as it might sound, but I think he is giving me more credit for speed than is justified. And besides I really only do ones for gifts, not for sale. Haven't decided if his mom will be on my gift list or not...