Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tin Lizzie 18 >

Tin Lizzie 18

Tin Lizzie 18

Old 06-09-2016, 07:15 AM

Make sure you have good support.... I bought a Viking 8x18 mega quilter, had nothing but trouble. Stitch regulator quit and the sales person said 'don't use it!" Then the system board broke and it would take off sewing all on it's own.... she said I plugged it in too hard and broke it. A couple of thousand $'s later they send it back home with me, (200 mile trip) and it would not do anything.... had to take it back again, and they had to adjust something. That time I had them set it up so I could see it running before I left with it. They also had to replace the stitch regulator and the speed control... it has been a real challenge... also, when I went in for lessons they just said 'we can't teach you anything' Was not happy! Can't afford to replace it!

This is the Viking version of the Tin Lizzy

Last edited by sxboyer; 06-09-2016 at 07:16 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 06-11-2016, 06:21 AM

I bought my Queen Quilter (basically a TL 18) from the folks in Spring. Had a problem with it once that a local TL mechanic could not fix. Took it to Tom in Spring, 5 hour drive but worth every mile. This guy is a genius. He has even helped me fix a problem with just a phone call. If I can ever afford to upgrade, I'm driving back to Spring.
Old 06-11-2016, 08:24 PM

Thanks ladies! You have given me food for thought. I had not even considered a sit down machine. I just thought if I had to push the quilt around I could do that on my domestic. I have a brother 1500 on a handy quilter frame but can't seem to get my stitches to satisfy me. I don't know what to do.
Old 06-12-2016, 04:51 PM

I had a Viking 18x8 which was a tin Lizzie. Had nothing but trouble with it until I had a tin Lizzie tech work on it and it worked really good. I bought a new 18" tinn lizzie last fall from Sabrina at Janesville, wisc. A great machine with 100% support! I do like the 18" as that is all the further I can reach anyway! Good luck with your decision!
Old 06-13-2016, 11:27 AM

Well, free Motion Quilting is a bear on the first Tin Lizzies. They weigh in at 90 pounds plus. Hard to control. The LS version that came later was half the weight. I solved it with a setup from QBot. All my LA is now done by computer.

Lots of people have had issues with TL. Mine? I bought used and have a great dealer nearby who I have taken the machine back to once in 8 years. Guess I can't complain.

There are better setups than the TL18 but not for the money.

tim in san jose
Old 06-13-2016, 01:57 PM

Thanks everyone!
Old 06-14-2016, 06:40 PM

I have had the Queen Quilter 18 with the
Shirley Stitcher for 7 years and have never
had a problem with it. Any issues have been
operator mistakes.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:31 AM

I have a TL18LS & it's a 2009 model...Lizzie is a workhorse! You do have to learn to use them...there are a lot of things to remember, and it's the same with all Longarm machines. This is NOT a low quality machine...they don't have all the bell and whistles the Gammills, APQS, etc. have...but that means less to mess with.

I do most of my own troubleshooting/maintenance & have only had a few issues. The encoder cables (which is the main cable between the encoders and machine) went out...ordered new...no issues since. If you fail to keep the encoders & sensors clean...you can get skipped stitches, or the machine will sew really fast...not hard to do.

TL18 company has come a long way in the customer service area...and if you register the machine with them (you can do this at any time if you have an older machine)..they keep a record of what issues you have.

They took away several dealers who were not helping customers...and they now have learning centers, etc.

I am not affiliated with the company in any way..just love my machine.

Originally Posted by mamajack3 View Post
Yes it is new. Supposedly they found a few in the warehouse. I can't afford a really good long arm. I just don't want to get into a big headache. Thanks!
Old 07-14-2016, 10:40 AM

Im leaning towards the Block Rocket. It runs about 3200 dollars. Already have a table but with just a Baby Lock Jane on it it is useless, only 9 in throat area.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:16 AM

I had a new TL sl 18 and it was a nightmare. Nothing worked right and I was an experienced LA quilter so it was not operator error. Had absolutely no company support. The dealer tried to help but was not very knowledgeable. Stuck it in an out building on our farm and bought a Nolting. Nolting is not high end but it is a work horse. I have used it for 6 years with absolutely no problems. Tech support is wonderful. Don't waste your money on a TL. there are too many good machines and reputable companys out there to be suckered in my some one who is telling you they found a few of these machines in a warehouse..