Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Turning living room into sewing room

Blog Entries
    I agree with others, go for it.
    Joyce

My living room was turned into my studio about two years ago and I have never regretted it for a second. I spend much more time sewing, designing, and creating than I ever did before. The room is open, bright, comfortable, and a real joy to be in. I work with less stress, fewer mistakes, and more enjoyment of the whole process. As a result, I think the quality of my work has improved...and I'm certain that the quality of my time has.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

It is your space to use as you like. I have sort of taken over our dining room - I can pull the door closed. I like the big table and need some of the chairs, but there is no place else in the house for the rest of the chairs where they wouldn't be in the way. So far, any company has been happy to eat in the kitchen. And if they aren't happy, well, then, there's my answer!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sharon59 View Post
    I need others thoughts and ideas of making my living room into a sewing room. It's only me here,and hardly any company at my apartment. I think if I move sewing room to living room and visa-versa, I would work more on my quilting. What are your thoughts?

Thank you
    Sharon
    I too live alone in a small apt; I say do what you want ! I have a sewing machine set up on "dining room" table, where it stays almost ALL the time. I have a small non conditioned "sunroom" that I use for storage; I have a small desk in there that I use for my cutting table; it is about 2 steps away from my sewing machine so that is convenient. Just this week I bought a 6' folding table from Target for $32 (sale price, wheeeee!) that I'm going to set up my bedroom in order to use as a cutting table; the bedroom has sliding glass doors to the sunroom so it will all be convenient.

Sometimes I feel that my living room is one big craft room, since I not only sew, quilt but am an avid knitter also; therefore I always a project or two (or four or more) lying around......my thoughts are, IT IS YOUR APT, not a show room and you should do what makes you happy !
    Sandy

Blog Entries
    I agree, use the space the way you want to use it. I almost did the exact same thing, but instead I turned my master bedroom into my office/sewing room. It works really well for me and I love it.

Blog Entries
    My Den is my sewing room and the only disadvantage is that I have to put everything away once a month when we have our family birthday party and I have 15 to 20 people here for lunch. The light is good. I have my Juki in front of one of the windows so the light is just right coming from the right side. I can see what is going on outside, etc. I say "go for it".

Blog Entries
    I changed my sewing room in the small bedroom into my master bedroom and now I don't have sewing stuff scattered all over the house. I live alone too.
    TwandasMom

Its hard, I'm down to my bedroom from a 3 bed home that I had taken over completly after kids left, but when new home gets built a small 1 bed room, lr and kit with a screened back porch, can't wait, already told Son he will need to widen back porch, he's complaining because it will change roof pitch, oh well he's gotta make be happy. lol

Blog Entries
    So many times people don't use their space to it's maximum. I think it'd be fun to have a sewing space like that..And just the enjoyment of sewing in a place you like is great

Blog Entries
    I also say do what works best for you. I did that in a small house I had and it worked great.
    SMILE- it will make everyone wonder what you are up to.
    Stay strong and keep looking up.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast