Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Uncomfortable foot pedal on old machine >

Uncomfortable foot pedal on old machine

Uncomfortable foot pedal on old machine

Old 04-20-2011, 06:01 PM

This is sort of embarassing but I have to ask...I have an old machine that I love. It's a Singer 15-91 and makes beautiful stitches. The problem is, it has a strange foot pedal. I don't think its a knee pedal, but I could be wrong. It has one "knob" that doesn't do anything and another small "knob" that I'm pushing with my foot. It's very small and on the left side. Am I missing something? I'm so used to pushing the pedal with my right foot, but I have to use the left on this one. What's the deal?
Old 04-20-2011, 06:02 PM
Power Poster

I have that kind of foot pedal on one of my machines. Maybe there is a way to switch it out for a different kind.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:03 PM
Power Poster

You are right it takes some getting use to:)
Old 04-20-2011, 06:20 PM

It's designed for you to rest your right foot on the right hand "button" and rock your foot to the left to activate the actual button that makes it go. In theory it's supposed to alleviate a cramp in your leg, and it certainly help you to take your foot completely off the foot controller when you aren't sewing.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:26 PM

I have one of those also, but I'm used to it. I'm sure that your neighborhood sewing machine guy could switch it out for a newer one, if you decide that you need it.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:43 PM

I have one of those too. If it really bugs you....turn the entire foot pedal around. Then the working "button" is on the right. Your foot will rest on the floor instead of the base of the pedal, but it may be more comfortable for you.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:45 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tortoisethreads
I don't think its a knee pedal, but I could be wrong.
Someone else has given you a good explanation about the way that foot pedal is meant to work.

Re your comment about the knee pedal ... if your machine was in a cabinet, the foot pedal would be mounted, and then there would be a knee pedal that would press on the foot pedal to make it go!

That's how I learned to sew ... and it was so hard to get used to the idea of a foot pedal!! :)
Old 04-20-2011, 07:56 PM
Power Poster

I remember starting off sewing with a knee pedal. I was really strange to switch over to a foot pedal. I still like my Mom's sewing maching with the knee pedal! I always lose my foot pedal...it walks away from my foot!
Old 04-21-2011, 02:28 AM
SEW

I just got a Singer 201 that came with a foot pedal like you described. This thread answered some questions that I had...thanks for posting.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:43 AM

The original foot to my Singer Featherweight 221 was the "button type". I am used to Berninas and their clam-shell style and HATED the button foot. I ordered the newer, clam-shell type Singer pedal on line and was able to wire it into the machine cords myself. It is much more comfortable for me and it wasn't very expensive at all. Before you order a replacement, be sure it is compatible with your specific machine. Also, if your machine has potential antique value, hang on to the original foot pedal. Upgrading to newer, more efficient parts, usually decreases its resale worth.