Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using quilt as a shower curtain >

Using quilt as a shower curtain

Using quilt as a shower curtain

Old 07-15-2014, 07:48 AM

Thank you for you replies. When I get this made I will piece the top, line it with muslin and use a detached vinyl liner. I have been looking around for fabric. Want to make it a two-color top, at least that is what I have in mind right now. LOL
We are using "coastal" decor so I am trying to pick out a pattern which would go along with that theme. So much to do but so little time to accomplish it. I can't drag out the fabrics, sewing machine, etc right now because most of my things are packed ready for the move at the end of the month. Going through withdrawal here! I think I need therapy!
Old 07-15-2014, 10:20 AM
Power Poster

I made one for my DD. I bought the vinyl coated cotton fabric. I made two curtains, one for vinyl facing out and one for the vinyl to face the stall side. I hemmed them and made eyelets for the curtain rings. I didn't piece it, just hemmed the fabric. It was the color and design she wanted that she couldn't find in a regular shower curtain. You could use the vinyl fabric for the lining. It's soft and supple and sews like cotton.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:20 AM
Power Poster

I would do it without batting. I would definitely use a liner curtain
Old 07-17-2014, 04:25 AM

I would lightly spray the back of it with either Scotchguard or the new Multiwet repellant by rustoleum. They make one for fabrics now. They say you can even put regular fabrics sprayed with this outside. That way if the back gets wet the water won't penetrate the fabric. I have to make my shower curtains because I have a walk in shower that replaced the tub and it needs 72 x 78 which you can't find except in the vinyl liner. I use curtains that I sew together and then hem and place button holes across the top about every 6 inches. Works great especially when I can get curtains on clearance for $2 - $3 a panel. And I do use a liner behind it.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:32 AM

Skip the batting as it will make the curtain too heavy and likely pull the rod down. Make the quilt top and add a backing, and use a plastic shower liner. This will allow light in and make it easy to launder. Good luck!
Old 07-17-2014, 04:59 AM

You said you want a 'coastal' theme. When I was living on the beach I found a great LQS that had lots of beachy fabric. That's what I used for the shower curtain I made. It was a peach color of sea shells..... loved it. Try looking for your fabric at LQSs along the coast. Good luck.

ps- I know how frustrating it can be when you're getting ready for a move..... my family calls me the moving queen. But, once you get things packed, just sit down, sip a glass of wine, and think about how wonderful it will be in your new sewing area. It works for me, every time.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by AlvaStitcher View Post
In our new home I am thinking about using a quilt or a pieced top for a shower curtain in the guest bathroom. This shower will not be used frequently (I was afraid of mildew) so I think it would hold up well. My question is this, do I make up the quilt as usual with backing and batting or just use the top or the top and backing with no batting. Either way I will use a shower curtain liner. I know some of you have done this and I need your opinions please. Thanks for your responses.
I made bedroom curtains, same principle, no batting, and used natural muslin for the backing. It's cotton, dries fast and holds up well. I put it together pillowcase style and hand stitched the bottom. Just a thought, Edie
Old 07-17-2014, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
You said you want a 'coastal' theme. When I was living on the beach I found a great LQS that had lots of beachy fabric. That's what I used for the shower curtain I made. It was a peach color of sea shells..... loved it. Try looking for your fabric at LQSs along the coast. Good luck.

ps- I know how frustrating it can be when you're getting ready for a move..... my family calls me the moving queen. But, once you get things packed, just sit down, sip a glass of wine, and think about how wonderful it will be in your new sewing area. It works for me, every time.
How absolutely wonderful. I thought I was the only quilter in the whole wide world that sat down to sew with a glass of wine. How sweet it is!!!!!!!! Try Trader Joe's Auslese - It is a quilter's wine. TRUST ME!!!! Or perhaps a nice Tawny Port! TRUST ME!!!!! Or, whatever's in your cupboard or fridge. TRUST ME!!!!! Edie

PS - I prefer the Auslese - nice lady at her machine or sitting in a rocking chair hemming or sewing her quilt by hand type of wine.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:38 AM

I made one years ago, I used cheater panels sewn togther, looked like a pieced quilt from a distance. I used a light weight batting & cotton batting, made eyelet button holes for the shower rings, also hung it with plastic shower liner. I thought it looked great, visitors complimented it. Had to replace the liner a couple of times due to mildew but the quilted curtain did well.
When we moved it didn't go well with bathrooms in new house so I just sewed up on the sides, added strap handles and still use it as a carrier for Stitch Camp portable table & cutting mat.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:40 AM

Thumbs up

I made a shower curtain and window curtain using panels prints and coordinating fabric for my master bath. I pull it down twice a year to wash it and have been using it since 2004. I did not back it, but I did zigzag over the raw edges, and sew the seams down for strength. I did use darker colors but my thinking is I know where everything is in the shower, so daylight is not really important to me. My bathroom light is on the ceiling just above and outside of the shower so it is not real dark, just slightly shadowy. When I made the curtain, I put a white strip at the top for additional natural light in the bath. The bathroom walls are painted a pale mint, and I love the way it turned out. I hope you like it.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg