Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what do u do that would bring the quilt police? >

what do u do that would bring the quilt police?

what do u do that would bring the quilt police?

Old 05-12-2015, 10:54 AM
Power Poster

I also soak new fabric in HOT (not boiling) water for several hours.

Kind of funny - what horrifies some, is a mandatory step for others!
Old 06-19-2016, 04:40 PM

this thread still makes me laugh. i have read and re-read the comments and i am still laughing and saying to myself "yep, i do that" or "oh good idea" love the hammering trick to get the bumps out and I find myself saying to my perfect quilting friends "if you can't see it from a galloping horse, who cares" and they ignore me and then mull the thought in their head and we laugh and laugh and they admit "you know, you are right".
Old 06-19-2016, 04:51 PM

I don't clean my sewing room much. It's a mess with thread, little bits of fabric and tons of lint and dust. Piles of fabric leftovers. And everything the other s said.
Old 06-19-2016, 05:11 PM

Too funny on this thread! I made 3 quilts in a row with lots of points--or at least there were suppose to be! I called them my "no points" series--one if officially labeled "Points?! Points!? We don't need no stinking points!" Steam is my friend--to get blocks into shape and also to get rid of excess on the quilting frame. And just bought a new, neon orange, plastic 3lb mallet to get those seam bumps that just did not get "nested" right flatter.
Since I don't do big quilt shows, I want to spend my time on exploring all the types of quilts I'm curious about instead of just sewing,ripping, sewing, ripping on the same quilt!
Also--check out some of the improvised piecing in modern quilts--they even want you to ignore the rulers! How fun is that!
Old 06-19-2016, 05:34 PM

Sharpie Marker when seams don't match up??? Nope, I have never done that...., but I have used a Pigma Micron....
and agressive ironing on starch soaked fabric for blocks that came out too small, or out of square

Rob<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>
Old 06-19-2016, 05:47 PM

Oh this is an old thread, but as it has come up again here goes.

I am making a 60 degree triangle quilt for a very good friend's baby. Lots and lots of points. Do they match? Maybe a couple... There also is one seam that the fabric was short on one side, so the seam is barely catching a thread on one side. Time for an applique!

I will be using the machine for the binding, this quilt should gets lots of washing, it will need to be as secure as possible. My hand stitching would not stand up to weekly washing.
Old 06-19-2016, 06:22 PM
Power Poster

ACK! This thread is making me twitch! I must be a quilt police.

This thread reads like "True Confessions: Quilter's Edition".
Old 06-20-2016, 01:08 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by CookieZenmilk View Post
if my seams don't match up, i color the fabric with a sharpie or magic marker.
PLEASE, don't use a Sharpie. I have done this for decades using Micron Pigma pens. I occasional use a rotary cutter towards me but I am very careful and use a 28mm blade. I don't always iron my fabric because I don't wash it but I don't end up with bowed strips. And yes, I am trying to get better at changing a needle when it is dull. Breaking a needle is hard on your machine.
Old 06-20-2016, 04:21 AM

Oh, I too cringed reading all these "old" posts......I'm sorry, I may be insulting some with what I'm going to post now but...in my mind I cannot justify doing this by just eyeball cutting, skimping on seam allowances, covering a mistake with an appliqué, or whatever....just to get it done.....I feel I have invested too much time, $$$, know-how to just slap something together and give it to someone or keep, and if it's not the best I can do, oh well! I am not a perfectionist by any means, but I do have limits in what I let slide. Ah, having said all that....I don't pre wash...if I think there might be a bleed, I'll do the hot water in cup test....and no starch..not a spit of it or soak til cardboard....and I do not wash/dry anything after I finish it.....as it is being worked on it is not being dragged around a dirty place with grimmy hands, so no need...so now I leave the confessional! .....and ducking the slings and arrows!
Old 06-20-2016, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by elizajo View Post
When I was selecting fabrics for my first big quilt, the Quilt Police at the LQS informed me most emphatically that I could not mix prints with cream backgrounds with those that were white. I just said "Hmm, really?" , then bought what I wanted. Every scrappy quilt since then has both white and off-white fabrics.
This one made me laugh out loud! I don't know you, but I can "hear" you. A kindred rebel. "hmm? really?" Then bought what I wanted.

I wonder how many of us rebels are second born?