Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what do u do that would bring the quilt police? >

what do u do that would bring the quilt police?

what do u do that would bring the quilt police?

Old 05-11-2015, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by mulberryellie View Post
I make traditional blocks.........in the uk the quilt police are all art quilt obsessives!
I see that here in Europe, in general, there seem to be mostly artsy type quilts.

There is a group going from Poland to that show in Sept in France, but when I looked at the classes, etc. I really am not interested in going...as they seem to be mostly about art quilts.

That is the least interesting part of quilting to me--as I don't have that type of talent or interest. I may enjoy looking at them some, but am not really interesting in going to class after class (the whole time) in learning to make them when that isn't what interests me.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:07 AM

My replies to the OP part of the thread:

1. I use poly thread - whatever I have.
2. I use poly/cotton fabric if I have it and need it.
3. I don't wash most fabrics before I make the top, but to be fair, I work with a lot of used items, which have been washed. However, I have started washing quilts once finished--love the look.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:18 AM

I want to thank the OP for the link in post #17 to the cautionary tale about holding pins in your mouth.

Last night I read it, and the comments, and said to myself, "Well, I won't be doing that any more." But I have since found out it's a VERY hard habit to break.

Maybe this will work :

[ATTACH=CONFIG]519422[/ATTACH]

Daffy
Attached Thumbnails nopinsinmouth.jpg  
Old 05-11-2015, 11:37 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Daffy Daphne View Post
I want to thank the OP for the link in post #17 to the cautionary tale about holding pins in your mouth.

Last night I read it, and the comments, and said to myself, "Well, I won't be doing that any more." But I have since found out it's a VERY hard habit to break.

Maybe this will work :

[ATTACH=CONFIG]519422[/ATTACH]

Daffy
Pins in the mouth will get THE MOTHER in me yelling at you to "DO NOT DO THAT!!!!"

A swallowed pin is not a good thing.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
I sew with whatever color of thread I have, and I don't care about the brand. I only change needles when they break.
I love this one -- "don't care about the brand." I often use the detested Coats and Clark thread. My dear Granny used it on her quilts 50 years ago, and they are still together and looking as good as new.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:40 PM

What a refreshing thread! I too am a new quilter (5 months) and have enjoyed it both as a spectator sport (watching videos and gathering an impressive pinterest file) and making quilts (I am on my third) I have discovered that 1) quilting reflects your personality; there is a reason some write the books, and others give gifts of love. 2) quilting has evolved from a necessity to an art form. Recognizing that it is 'OK' to quilt according to your personality is freeing. I must admit I don't always follow the rules, but I do what makes me feel good about myself and my project. Thanks, ladies for some wonderful laughs!
Old 05-11-2015, 12:42 PM

Oh my Gosh---I try to do everything right. I get so upset if things don't match. I've been known to carefully take a square out of a finished quilt and turn it around so it is perfect. I'm a mess that way. I wish I could just ignore mistakes because I make so many of them and the older I get the more mistakes I make. Sometimes I even feel like quitting permanently. I need to relax. I love Jenny Doan and the way she doesn't get upset and does everything the fast way. I'm 'gonna' try. Sorry!
Old 05-11-2015, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Pins in the mouth will get THE MOTHER in me yelling at you to "DO NOT DO THAT!!!!"

A swallowed pin is not a good thing.
Yes, Mom! [hangs head]

Daffy
Old 05-11-2015, 01:13 PM

OMG! I have done most everything that is here at one point or another.

Points, yeah they gota match, do they always? Nope, do I care... aaaah no!

Do I always close the rotary cutter? I do now.. long story

Do I put pins in my mouth? No, because I never know when my DH is going to sneak up on me and scare the poop outa me! He swears he never sneaks, but I think he does. He says I am to intent on what I am doing to pay attention... really, seriously? No, he sneaks!

Do I change my needle between projects? Only if it breaks or I hear a loud popping when it is stitching.

Do I keep my cats outa my sewing room? Nope and my motto in my house is this: If it doesn't have cat fur on it, hang on a sec and I will get you some!

Don't smoke, never have, but I do leave my windows open and let the wind (and dust) blow in.

Do I pre-wash my fabric.. Nope! I like the look un-washed fabric gives to a quilt when it is washed and dried in hot water and a hot dryer (oops) I even just use plain ole laundry soap and softener.

My quilts are for me and my family! Do I want them perfect? Only when I am making them for a pattern to sell and I have to take a picture that everyone will see, even then... they are handcrafted, not perfect by any means.

Fun thread!!
Old 05-11-2015, 01:48 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Daffy Daphne View Post
Yes, Mom! [hangs head]

Daffy
Good girl!!!