Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what do u do that would bring the quilt police? >

what do u do that would bring the quilt police?

what do u do that would bring the quilt police?

Old 07-21-2012, 12:07 PM

Yes, I have done everything that is listed and I am sure I will do them again. Quilt Police are welcome at my house, I have plenty that they can help me finish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-21-2012, 12:11 PM
Power Poster

"Good enough" and "Close Enough" are my most used phrases when peicing. Horrors of horrors I iron more often than I press. I don't square up my quilts when trimming down after quilting and before putting on the binding.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:12 PM

Sometimes when paper piecing, and something is too short, I glue a little piece so it doesn't show. Shhhh don't tell anyone, or I might fined by the quilt police!
Old 07-21-2012, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees View Post
When all else fails and I can not trim a seam well enough to get it to flatten, I hit it with a hammer, works every time
Oh, wow, THAT one hit home! lol

I just don't care what color thread is on the machine. If I'm in the mood to sew, who wants to waste time changing the thread? Otherwise, I guess I'm still too new at this to have learned much bad stuff, but I can see that reading this blog will eventually corrupt me. lol
Old 07-21-2012, 12:47 PM

This thread has been tooooo funny! Run the stinkin' Quilt Police outta town! I do the best I can in my projects. I also do whatever it takes to get the job done and if it means breaking quilt rules or reinventing the wheel to accomplish a finished quilt, so be it.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:00 PM

i don't change my rotary cutter blade until it is skipping.
and i tug on the fabric to get it just right and steam the hell out of it to make it flat.
handcuff me now, i have more UFO's than i can count, all waiting for binding which i hate to do.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:08 PM

I share my sewing room with sleeping pets. Then I only have to give my quilts to other pet people, right?
Old 07-21-2012, 01:20 PM

Well, so that's what the other side of the fence looks like! Gee, I'd like to be there! I'm one of those "a tad too obsessive compulsive types" who will re-do a whole block if it doesn't turn out perfect, and will rip out a whole set of blocks if they don't line up perfectly, and I drive myself absolutely nuts getting everything in perfect alignment, with perfect points, and everything square, and the binding properly sew on, with the back done by hand, and so on, and so on, ad. nauseum. This is why one person can do 40 - 60 quilts in one year, and I'm lucky to get 12 or more done. I would love to "sew with abandon" and not care if they line up, and just get something finished. I've even taken to making smaller quilts. So if anyone has a magic wand that could fix me up, I'd appreciate it! I did talk to my doctor to see if I should be medicated, and he just laughed at me and told me it was just my personality type, and please let him know if I start anything strange like washing my hands 50 times an hour, or performing rituals prior to each bite of food. I think the word he used was "meticulous". I can tell you that "meticulous" people have very clean and neat homes, awesomely organized sewing rooms, and make very few quilts every year because they spend just as much time with their seam ripper as they do with their sewing machine. So positively revel in what you have ladies! It's a gift! Trust me, it's a very wonderful, very freeing gift, and I envy you!
Old 07-21-2012, 01:27 PM

I buy fabric from Walmart and covet fabric from Hobby Lobby.

Last edited by jaspersu; 07-21-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:32 PM

Well, so far I don't see a thing that's new(s) to me...are we all bad, or just super good???