Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what do u do that would bring the quilt police? >

what do u do that would bring the quilt police?

what do u do that would bring the quilt police?

Old 07-22-2012, 09:38 PM

Well, I am going to start a quilt tomorrow. I will be using my SERGER as much as I can. My serger has a cover stitch(it sews like a sewing machine with a zigzag stitch on the bottom) and I may just use it for the binding.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:56 AM

Your comments are hilarious, everyone! And I can agree with almost all of them. But since I don't believe the Quilt Police even exist...... That is just your conscience telling you that you are breaking some obscure rule that your great grandmother made. Ha! Ha! I don't put my quilts up for judging for a reason. I have made many a mistake (if you want to call them that) on quilts. And I notice that once the quilt is all finished, people don't even see the mistakes, unless you point them out. So....my lips are sealed!!!! What happens in the sewing studio stays in the sewing studio!
Old 07-23-2012, 04:02 AM

Love this thread!!! My head is bobbing up and down like a bobble doll as I read through the entries - yep, I do that, yep, I do that too!!

It's funny, because I am rather meticulous about some things (my kids would tell you OCD). And other things, not so much. Sometimes the more effort I take to square things up, do it by the books, the worse it gets (I wasn't having a problem prior). No one's complaining, and I am generally happy with my quilts. Most points match up, but where they don't, they don't. Paper pieced pieces a tad short? Yep, learned about liquid stitch, love it and no one else is any the wiser! I think I have only ripped and pulled up a row of blocks twice to fix a pattern error, because it would have bothered me. Never pre-wash. If I have a few slightly wavy strips, I make it work.

Learned a lot of tips from this thread! You ladies are the best!!
Old 07-23-2012, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by grann of 6 View Post
Your comments are hilarious, everyone! And I can agree with almost all of them. But since I don't believe the Quilt Police even exist...... That is just your conscience telling you that you are breaking some obscure rule that your great grandmother made. Ha! Ha! I don't put my quilts up for judging for a reason. I have made many a mistake (if you want to call them that) on quilts. And I notice that once the quilt is all finished, people don't even see the mistakes, unless you point them out. So....my lips are sealed!!!! What happens in the sewing studio stays in the sewing studio!
I love your last sentence. What happens in the sewing studio stays in the sewing studio! I'm going to have to remember that one!
Old 07-23-2012, 05:13 AM

Can I give you my list of what I don't do??? It would be so much shorter
Old 07-23-2012, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by CookieZenmilk View Post
if my seams don't match up, i color the fabric with a sharpie or magic marker.
i rotary cut towards myself instead of away from myself.
i don't always iron the fabric before i cut my fabric. i often see bowed strips but i "make it work"
i only change my needle if it breaks.
My dad had a sign in his workshop that said " As you travel on through life, two rules will never bend; never whittle toward yourself, or pee against the wind"! I think the first time you cut yourself TOWARD yourself, the quilt police won't even have to tell you to change! But really, cutting away from yourself is just safer. ( I think it's easier because I find you have to use less arm strength to get the same cut, but whatever - just be careful !)
Also, I've colored non matching thread that shows with a marker, put appliqués over seams that don't match, and put other colors in binding that don't match and pretend it was a "design decision"!

Last edited by quiltmom04; 07-23-2012 at 06:41 AM.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:24 AM

Are you supposed to square up a quilt?
Old 07-23-2012, 08:29 AM

As I only make table covers and wall hanging I never wash fabrics first(figure they won't bewashed very often).Always manage to cut points so they don't match etc. I could go on forever, don't have design wall so I don't see goofs until quilt is done lol.Oh well who cares if I'm not perfect?
Old 07-23-2012, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
I NEVER square up my quilts! I sew my bindings on by machine. I don't always check for the grain of the fabric before cutting. I change my needle whenever.
I still have never figured out the grain of the fabric.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:07 AM

Love it! Now I have to get a new tool for the sewing room.

Originally Posted by Deborahlees View Post
When all else fails and I can not trim a seam well enough to get it to flatten, I hit it with a hammer, works every time