Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what do u do that would bring the quilt police? >

what do u do that would bring the quilt police?

what do u do that would bring the quilt police?

Old 07-22-2012, 04:27 PM

If my blocks don't all match in size, I pick the smallest one and cut all the rest to that size...who cares what the ending size of the block is....
Old 07-22-2012, 05:17 PM
Power Poster

I have made enough mistakes and done enough things bass-ackwards to have learned being careful and accurate really does save time and effort in the long run.

My partial list of stupid mistakes: cutting a quarter inch circle off the end of one finger with a rotary cutter, using fray chek to oil a machine, cutting pieces the wrong sizes, misreading a pattern, believing that pattern instructions were always correct, intentionally sewing over pins, assembling several blocks incorrectly - even though the pieces 'went' together okay, that wasn't what I meant to do - I had forgotten how the pieces were 'supposed' to have gone together, bought too much or too little fabric, used my Gingher scissors to cut things other than fabrics, poked a hole into a piece while unsewing, forgot to look and cut more than I intended to.

That should be enough humble pie for one sitting.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:44 PM

I'm glad to see someone admit to using odd colors of thread. I have an abundance of all colors of thread given to me by a man whose wife had died. I've been using that thread where it doesn't show. I can't bear to spend $2.00 or more for a spool of thread when I have hundreds of spools of different colors at home.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:30 PM

I have really enjoyed all of these responses. I am going to print them out and post the booklet by my machine to read when I start getting stressed! Bless all of you for reminding me about the fun of quilting!
Old 07-22-2012, 06:58 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Betty Ruth View Post
I'm glad to see someone admit to using odd colors of thread. I have an abundance of all colors of thread given to me by a man whose wife had died. I've been using that thread where it doesn't show. I can't bear to spend $2.00 or more for a spool of thread when I have hundreds of spools of different colors at home.
I just dismantled 70 ten-inch squares that had been sewn with red and/or white thread. I could not tell from the front which color thread had been used. I used to be very matchy matchy with thread colors when I did piecing. Now it doesn't really seem to matter very much!
Old 07-22-2012, 07:11 PM

I sew the binding by machine to the back, fold it to the front & then use the decorative "rick rack" stitch to sew it down. Most of my quilts are for children or to take on picnics & I love the look. No one has ever complained & they use the quilts, only complainer is a quilt police acquaintance who is appalled, totally appalled & &
Old 07-22-2012, 07:43 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

If I come up short paper piecing, I add another seam. Try to make the piece big enough so it isn't obvious.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:30 PM

Not perfect piecing and breaking rotary cutting rules...Miscalculating measurements and either shorting or buying way to much fabric...Not paying attention when assembling rows and havering to unsew because the layout mattered ( was for a show ) what I get for multitasking....

Last edited by Digitizingqueen; 07-22-2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:42 PM

I always buy more fabric, than I need. If I don't, I'm sure to make a mistake and have to go buy more. If I already have more, I won't make nearly as many mistakes!
Old 07-22-2012, 09:37 PM
Power Poster

I have enjoyed sitting here tonight reading this, and it making me think of my dear mother who passed away in March of this year. She always sewed and quilted thinking others work was better. It wasn't though, and she would rip out anything she thought she had missed. She put her whole heart into it. I am a newbie in the quilting world, but I love every day I have been on this board. The Lord himself directed me here. I feel encouraged here, and meet so many nice people from various places. I get to enjoy the work and creativity of so many. I make most of these mistakes, but enjoy every single thing I am working on knowing that with more practice and challenges I take part in, the more I will improve, but most important to me is the more I will enjoy myself, and stay close to the thoughts of my precious mother who talked to me about loving to go into a fabric shop, and feel the fabric on her hands. My precious dad made her several quilting frames. He has a little workshop, and is very talented in this way. I loved reading these comments so much. I guess too, I am a quilter. Wow! That makes me happy. lol....