Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what do u do that would bring the quilt police? >

what do u do that would bring the quilt police?

what do u do that would bring the quilt police?

Old 07-22-2012, 11:18 AM

I guess I am as normal as most of you, have read the postings and I do those things too. As for the quilt police, you don't have to do anything, they just sneak up on you, they are nosey. When I see other peoples work, I don't pick it up and inspect the stitching on the back, nor do I point out the small flaws I see, I just look, enjoy and praise them for their work. Yet the quilt police is always lurking in the shadows , so pretend you don't see, hear, etc.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:36 AM

Well I guess I AM a quilter!!!
Old 07-22-2012, 11:44 AM

I love it. No wonder I feel at home on this board. I plead guilty to many of these transgressions.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:52 AM

I don't like to follow directions, so if I have a pattern to work from, I might adjust anything in that pattern, including but not limited to:
changing block and border sizes, creative cornerstones and sashing, changing color patterns from block to block, replacing alternate blocks with (or adding) complimentary blocks, making it scrappy, tying to finish instead of quilting, adding applique...
honestly, I just have trouble using someone else's plan from beginning to end! I feel so much better when I take that risky step, and more often than not I'm pleased with the results because I made it MINE! lol
Slap the cuffs on me now...
Old 07-22-2012, 11:54 AM

Geez, you gals have made me feel like I could become a professional quilter. I do strive to 'get it right' cause my mother always taught me to do everything as if I had to put my signature on it. I am very careful with the rotary cutter because I have an awful fear of slicing off body parts. I do hand bind my quilts, because they are so pretty when finished and I use the time to sit in the living room with my husband and decompress after all the months of quilting in my sewing room. I find it relaxing and enjoyable. My points are getting better, but that could just be my eyesight ain't as good as it use to be. Same goes for matching seems. Not sure of the last time I changed my sewing machine needle but it seems to be doing OK. Haven't heard any bad noises or seen any skipped stitches. The way I figure it, if I am going to go to the expense and all my time to make a quilt, I'm sure going to do the best that I can. But perfect, not likely. I still want it to look hand made and not like something bought in a store.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by MacThayer View Post
Well, so that's what the other side of the fence looks like! Gee, I'd like to be there! I'm one of those "a tad too obsessive compulsive types" who will re-do a whole block if it doesn't turn out perfect, and will rip out a whole set of blocks if they don't line up perfectly, and I drive myself absolutely nuts getting everything in perfect alignment, with perfect points, and everything square, and the binding properly sew on, with the back done by hand, and so on, and so on, ad. nauseum. This is why one person can do 40 - 60 quilts in one year, and I'm lucky to get 12 or more done. I would love to "sew with abandon" and not care if they line up, and just get something finished. I've even taken to making smaller quilts. So if anyone has a magic wand that could fix me up, I'd appreciate it! I did talk to my doctor to see if I should be medicated, and he just laughed at me and told me it was just my personality type, and please let him know if I start anything strange like washing my hands 50 times an hour, or performing rituals prior to each bite of food. I think the word he used was "meticulous". I can tell you that "meticulous" people have very clean and neat homes, awesomely organized sewing rooms, and make very few quilts every year because they spend just as much time with their seam ripper as they do with their sewing machine. So positively revel in what you have ladies! It's a gift! Trust me, it's a very wonderful, very freeing gift, and I envy you!
Guilty! I strive for the best but don't always achieve it. I wondered if others rip out and re-do as often as I do. I figured I was just inept but I prefer the word meticulous. Wish I could be freer also but then I wouldn't be happy with the results and would probably quit quilting. My motto is do what makes you happy! P.S. I love the hammer trick and most likely try it. Although I enjoy hand binding, I also intend to try more fold over the backing to the front for binding. My family will love them no matter what. You are all such an inspiration!

Last edited by KathyKat; 07-22-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:30 PM

Is the "using the backing for binding" wrong?
Old 07-22-2012, 12:56 PM

I'll be honest. My philosophy is finished is better than perfect. I machine bind all the quilts I don't birth and I piece with whatever color thread I have in the bobbin. I quilt with a color that loks good all across the quilt top, usually a variegated, and something on back that looks good even if it doesn't blend in.
A couple of Christmases ago, I made a tablerunner for a dear friend of mine. After it was all piced, quilted and bound, my then 16 yo DD shows me where you can see the selvedge edge of one of the fabrics. I still gifted it anyway and the recipient loved it anyway and still thanks me for it when we see each other. That table runner was as close to perfect as I'll ever get and it was more about therapy for me than perfection in quilting but it was relatively perfect - minus the selvedge edge.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:11 PM

my list would be to long that is why I have become the lady of fix it or change it to suit what I need to. no one else needs to know though so shhhhhhhh.

Last edited by crtwelvecats; 07-22-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:14 PM

After reading all the posts I've come to realize...I'm a quilter, I'm gifted, I am a free spirit when creating, and most importantly...I have fun! You all have made my day.