Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • what do u do that would bring the quilt police? >
  • what do u do that would bring the quilt police?

• what do u do that would bring the quilt police?

Old 07-05-2013, 10:12 AM

I've only been quilting for almost a year and am guilty of most, if not all of these transgressions (and several others that aren't listed). Consequently I am confined to the hoosegow indefinitely! Do I care? No. I made a quilt for my great granddaughter for Christmas, not using a pattern, adding blocks and borders at will to make it the right size. Sent it off, hoping to get at least a 'thank you'. wow, they LOVED it, warts and all! My one granddaughter said it was a work of art. That's all I need to keep going! Now everyone will get quilts, and since no one sews, I'm sure they will be a hit.

I am obsessed with this craft. I don't want jewelry or fancy clothes or designer bags. I just want fabric! Every morning I get up and know I will do something creative that day. If the QP don't like my work, then they don't have to look at it.

My quilts are simple, no fancy triangles or stars or points. I have no desire to do intricate arty quilts, just colorful, fun original projects. I do what I love. I do it to give.

Renate
    Old 07-05-2013, 11:41 AM

Anyone ever use tape?
    Old 07-29-2013, 05:09 PM

Oh my.....am I feeling so much better!!! I am doing okay afterall! Who woulda thought.......
    Old 07-29-2013, 06:17 PM
    Power Poster

I iron my blocks. In fact, some of them were pressed like I was rolling out pie dough. And you know what? Because I cut the pieces so that the grainlines go all the same direction in a block - most of my units/blocks end up being the size and shape I intended them to be.8
    Old 07-29-2013, 06:20 PM
    Power Poster

Most care labels say to wash in cool to warm water - which I do on a finished item - but I soak my uncut fabrics in very hot water at least an hour.
    Old 07-29-2013, 06:58 PM

I just heard the sirens scream past the house, they missed me again. I only change my needle when it breaks, and I have no idea what size it is. My cutter gets changed when it just wont cut any more, about 4 months after it should have been. I seam with either white or black thread and only change it if too many pieces are the wrong shade. I have never bought fabric just for a quilt yet. I have been sewing for almost 40 years so thought making quilts I would use up all my old fabric from the girls clothes. Yes flannel, light denim and cotton as well as poly all go in the same quilt! If it looks good it is good! Most of my points match but if not that what the quilting is for (stitching covers all). But with enough starch and my steam iron, any thing can be made flat!
    Old 07-29-2013, 10:09 PM

Guilty as charged! I've done almost all these things. BUT I am now retired and quilt because I enjoy it. Stress at my job almost killed me, so now I do what I want, when I want and how I want. If my quilts make me happy, then the quilt police can just give me a ticket and I'll put in in the drawer with all the speeding tickets I have!
    Old 07-30-2013, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees
    When all else fails and I can not trim a seam well enough to get it to flatten, I hit it with a hammer, works every time
    Ha Ha Ha!!!! That sounds like me. My best friend is the galloping horse or the 3 yard rule. If the man on the galloping horse can't see any hiccups riding past at a 100 mph then it's fine. Likewise if I hold up something and look at it from 3 yards away and it's "perfect" that's great too. I don't do "perfect" - haven't had anyone give me one back 'cos the points or seams don't match.
    Old 08-27-2013, 08:30 AM

This is a great thread!

I do all my bindings by machine, and when something didn't march up at quilting group, I would quick hide it from my quilting teacher. I do the same at pottery! Most people don't notice anything wrong at all!
    Old 08-27-2013, 07:54 PM

Wow ... this post is an oldie but a goodie! Makes me feel so much better about my quilting, as I have probably violated every rule the Quilt Police has made. But, like others, I just don't care. I'm having fun doing what I do, and won't let anyone take away that fun. As I always say, "my quilts are not show quilts, they are love quilts."