Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what do u do that would bring the quilt police? >

what do u do that would bring the quilt police?

what do u do that would bring the quilt police?

Old 08-27-2013, 10:20 PM

I just do some of all of the above and leave it up to my longarm quilter to hide the mistakes. LOL
Old 08-27-2013, 11:13 PM

I am know to some in my guild as "The Quilt Police". But mainly because I can easily spot errors. i try not to point them out....
Old 08-28-2013, 12:36 AM

We all have physical problems as we get older and doing things the 'correctway' is difficult we do it our way. I like glue basting my friend things it is wrong and police should stop it. As long as it look right it is okay.
Quilt police should spend time producing videos showing us new ideas and techniques instead of spoiling our fun.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:25 AM

A friend of mine critiques my binding "skills".....esp my corners. I just laugh! But I am working on improving my corners. I just get in a hurry to finish and that is one area where I need to take extra care for my benefit. One reason I don't enter projects in shows. I really do this for fun and not accolades.

Sandy
Old 08-28-2013, 04:31 AM

This thread really made my day! As a newbie without classes except for You Tubes and the advice from members of QB, which I appreciate greatly, I have always posted pics of my quilts or works in progress with a bit of trepidation. I am guilty of using many of the fore mentioned "techniques". I use my cutting board's ruler to cut all my fabrics- have yet to master the use of my 16 inch acrylic ruler to measure. I use a regular foot for straight line quilting by lengthening the stitch. No quilting guide thing rather I use the edge of the foot as a guide for the next stitching line. Who knew that the skinny long metal thingy that came with the machine is used to vary the width of the stitches!
Mr.Seamripper and I are quite intimate although lately we have had somewhat of a falling out as I have found my way or at least a new way of matching seams that I don't need him around as much. Lol
despite everyone's use of these "techniques" we somehow manage to pull it off and create beautiful quilts- stunning works of artistic expressions. Keep Calm and Quilt On!
Old 08-28-2013, 07:30 AM

I feel like I should whisper my crime: I use a half-inch seam allowance. !horrors!
Old 08-28-2013, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR View Post
I feel like I should whisper my crime: I use a half-inch seam allowance. !horrors!
I am so roiling on the floor, I started with 5/8 finally got to the 1/4. Been there done that!!!
Old 08-28-2013, 02:08 PM

I took 2 classes from a perfectionist who would take out my stitches if seams were off when I wouldn't which I found frustrating. Well she was the teacher and wanted me to learn. My points are frequently cut off and I do some stretching to make things fit. I don't care. My family thinks my quilts are great (I'm the only quilter in the family). I'm a RN so have to be a perfectionist at work because lifes are at stake and is a stressful job. I won't be that way at home.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by phranny View Post
If the tension isn't perfect on my quilting, and it looks "loopy" on the back in places, I have just thrown the quilt into hot water and a hot dryer. The shrinking of the quilt kinda makes it disappear.

My mother had a saying growing up,' a blind man would be happy to see that ', and so I am very relaxed in my creative endeavors. I do wish I was more "meticulous" .
I love that quote. What a gem your mom is.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
I don't know how I missed this thread -- it is great.

I start out obsessing about the fabrics -- for some reason I am very picky about the color, value and hue. My sewing room is a disaster -- even if all I am doing is trying to find fabric to make a practice sampler. For a quilt, I could spend a week or more choosing fabric (or trying to find where I put a piece of fabric).

After that, all bets are off. I try to cut pieces the right size, but if the ruler slips I make it work. I try to sew straight seams, but hey I'm human and not perfect. I give my points one chance to match (and I do glue them), but if something happens then that's the way it is. My mitered corners are a bit rounded sometimes -- oh well.

I tear my borders and long sashing on the lenghtwise grain. I rarely will use either the fabric or color used in a pattern -- I want to make my quilt not someone elses. I have made an all blue quilt and an all purple table runner -- the differences are subtle with the purple, but I love them. My quilts talk to me and tell me how big they want to be (I have been arguing with a Halloween quilt for a couple of years now so it is sleeping).

I change my machine needle when it makes noise, I use my rotary blades until I can barely cut and I machine sew my binding. I prefer poly thread for quilting, but I like cotton for piecing. My TV set is on when I am quilting or piecing, though I normally only use it as a radio.

I have only entered one quilt in a show -- DH loved it, used a lot of metalic thread and the judges really reamed me (If they sell metalic thread -- shouldn't we use it? I sure wouldn't piece with it.)

I like simple piecing -- my attention span is short since if it takes more than a couple of weeks to finish a top it won't get done. My fabric has to do the work (hence my obsession with getting the fabric choice right).
I think those judges were snooty and trying to show off. A quilter named Marilyn Badger won major awards for a quilt using gold metallic thread-she said 12,000 yards of it.