Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what do u do that would bring the quilt police? >

what do u do that would bring the quilt police?

what do u do that would bring the quilt police?

Old 07-22-2014, 04:55 PM

[QUOTE=delma_paulk;5382365]I always quilt to my tastes, always take every shortcut I can think of, Always do the binding on the machine, sometimes I miscut and will sew a scrap on to make it the correct size. I give my quilts to family. If they like it, good, if not, do not tell me and just put it in the closet.

Just gave my BIL one on Thursday, a valor quilt as he is retired Army, retired educator and has been honored by the office of the President of The United States of America as the Outstanding Citizen. Told him he could have this quilt one of two ways: 1...He could pay me $450 and he could say bad things about it, point out where I missed a point or seam or whatever. 2...He could have it with my love if he did not do all these things and it would not cost him anything. He thanked me profusely for the quilt and told me how great he thought it was, so its his.

I appreciate all Veterans and thank them for service to our country.

delma, I love your story. I am sure he had a big grin on his face as you gave him the options!
Old 07-22-2014, 04:59 PM

[QUOTE=quiltsRfun;5382445]I've made a couple of quilts with some patches of polyester fabric. Not a blend but the real 100% thin woven polyester.

GASP!!! WHAT?? THAT'S PRETTY MUCH QUILTING SACRILEGE.
Wait. I can hear the sirens screaming outside my door right now. Now there's pounding on my door and a loudspeaker blaring, "THIS IS THE QUILT POLICE. WALK AWAY FROM THE SEWING MACHINE AND COME OUTSIDE WITH YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR."

Gotta go. Looks like I'm in real trouble here.[/QUOT

[COLOR=#a52a2a]QuiltsRfun, well, I have put flannel strips in with my cotton. I figured I had a good excuse since I am really new at this quilting. Someday that excuse will run out and I will still add flannel if someone give me a bunch of it like they did.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by MacThayer View Post
Well, so that's what the other side of the fence looks like! Gee, I'd like to be there! I'm one of those "a tad too obsessive compulsive types" who will re-do a whole block if it doesn't turn out perfect, and will rip out a whole set of blocks if they don't line up perfectly, and I drive myself absolutely nuts getting everything in perfect alignment, with perfect points, and everything square, and the binding properly sew on, with the back done by hand, and so on, and so on, ad. nauseum. This is why one person can do 40 - 60 quilts in one year, and I'm lucky to get 12 or more done. I would love to "sew with abandon" and not care if they line up, and just get something finished. I've even taken to making smaller quilts. So if anyone has a magic wand that could fix me up, I'd appreciate it! I did talk to my doctor to see if I should be medicated, and he just laughed at me and told me it was just my personality type, and please let him know if I start anything strange like washing my hands 50 times an hour, or performing rituals prior to each bite of food. I think the word he used was "meticulous". I can tell you that "meticulous" people have very clean and neat homes, awesomely organized sewing rooms, and make very few quilts every year because they spend just as much time with their seam ripper as they do with their sewing machine. So positively revel in what you have ladies! It's a gift! Trust me, it's a very wonderful, very freeing gift, and I envy you!
[COLOR=#a52a2a]Mac, You sound just like my daughter! She would never say a mean word to me, but I am sure she thinks I am an awful quilter ---
Old 07-22-2014, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by sassey View Post
I sure do like this thread I too am guilty of many of these things but I never thought other quilters were. I have never shown any of my work on this board because I thought everyone else pretty much followed the rules. I cannot absolutely cannot completly follow a pattern and am always taking shortcuts got so tired of miscuts that I started using my scissors to cut
[COLOR=#a52a2a]Sassey, I am just like you! I CANNOT follow a pattern! I do log cabin, block in block, string, and various other blocks, and often will mix them all up into one quilt! I have lots of fun!
Old 07-22-2014, 05:24 PM

I knew nothing about quilting when I made my first one. I saw the Quilt as you go technique on You Tube and said, "thats for me." I didn't think at that time to look for other instructions, I just went out and bought pieces of fabric from the Goodwill, cut some old shirts and dresses apart, and I was off and having a blast. Well, I decided to use two sheets as batting, since I didn't want to spend money in case I had to put my quilt in the garbage. It is Queen Size, and on my bed. It is so heavy I can barely take it off and on the bed, but I actually like the weight on me at night. Or so I tell myself. Yes, I do like it. It is a pretty ugly quilt though. I am on my 16th quilt now, in three years. I am 70 yrs. old, so I don't have time to fuss! I am loving all of these posts!
Old 07-22-2014, 05:44 PM

I accidentally cut a little hole in my quilt clipping a lone thread. What to do? I was almost finished -- batting, binding and all. First I dabbed it with liquid stitch stuff that keeps fabric from unraveling, then I cut around a little flower from a scrap of other fabric, ironed it on with that iron on sticky stuff, then I zig-zagged around it. The hole is nicely covered, but every time I look at that quilt, all I can see is that flower patch!! Oh well, it is going to charity, and I do guarantee that quilt will never come apart! I stitch them like crazy.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:53 PM

Oh wow! I love that! Fleece for the back, no batting. This is a whole new concept for me, and I will do it!
Old 07-22-2014, 05:59 PM

I thought of my Granny as I read this. Brought tears to my eyes. I keep her eye glasses on a little shelf where my sewing machine sits, as she did tailor work. She had a 4th grade education, and her hand made clothing looked like it came from Norstroms showroom. At least to me it looked that good. I am 70 yrs. old now, and just learning to make quilts. I don't have enough time left to be fussy. I love this thread. Makes me feel better for sure!
Old 07-22-2014, 06:15 PM
Power Poster

Y'all are incorrigible! LOL... I do machine sew my bindings, but they look nice!
Old 07-22-2014, 06:20 PM

Sandy, I have trouble with corners too. I have watched over and over You Tube videos on how to make perfect corners. I blame it onto being left handed, as I tried it the way it showed, and it didn't work out, so I just gather the material in a bunch and sew around the corner. One day I told myself I was smart enough to figure this out instead of trying to do it the way they do on You Tube, and now they are coming out pretty good. Not perfect, but no more bunching.