Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what do u do that would bring the quilt police? >

what do u do that would bring the quilt police?

what do u do that would bring the quilt police?

Old 07-22-2014, 06:57 PM

Hehehe... corners. I got a pattern once that told me to "square" my corners by sewing folded triangles into them. Best plan ever! lol. Makes me so happy. I had to take remedial cutting classes as a child, so anything that can help in that department works for me.

And I've also seamed together backing fabric; and I've seamed borders, too. gasp! To top everything off, on a quilt for my niece, I apparently didn't have a large enough seam allowance for one of my squares, so it tore open when I was quilting. Did I tear the whole quilt apart like a good little quilter? No. I just grabbed my trusty little applique needle and whip stitched the seam back together and yes, even though the stitches are tiny, they show on the quilt top if you're really looking for them. What can I say? I sew on top of a computer desk (so the entire table is to the right of where my chair sits) -- that's probably a crime too. lol.

Last edited by Bree123; 07-22-2014 at 06:59 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:15 PM

A great thread. FUDGE, FUDGE, FUDGE! We all must love the stuff 'cause we sure go through a lot of it to get that quilt to work and FINISHED! Happy quilting everyone. Now I must go and sew on my binding.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:51 PM

Best thread ever! I never do any of the things you all mentioned. Or at least if I did I'd never tell, I'm actually afraid of the quilt police. Early on in a class a lady told me I needed to cut all the threads on the back of my just finished quilt top and that I shouldn't hold it up to show the class until I did. Never mind that no one else cut their threads. I've seen the quilt police and I'm afraid, very afraid LoL.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:04 PM

Wow, QB. Some people should not teach others. That just isn't right. I don't even always cut the threads on the back of my quilt top before I quilt the thing & people still pay good money for them. Unless it's something like black thread for a white fabric quilt top, I don't really know how anyone could even tell. I think that must be the silliest rule I've ever heard of -- especially for an in-progress quilt!
Old 07-22-2014, 09:12 PM

Yip, all of the above, my German Shedder scares off the quilt police as they step on the drive way, he also lies on top of my feet while I quilt, when I can't t find the right shade of blender fabric I have also been known to use sheets and not always 100% cotton in my tops, but nobody knows except me, so don't tell anyone my guilty secret lol.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
I've made a couple of quilts with some patches of polyester fabric. Not a blend but the real 100% thin woven polyester.

GASP!!! WHAT?? THAT'S PRETTY MUCH QUILTING SACRILEGE.

Wait. I can hear the sirens screaming outside my door right now. Now there's pounding on my door and a loudspeaker blaring, "THIS IS THE QUILT POLICE. WALK AWAY FROM THE SEWING MACHINE AND COME OUTSIDE WITH YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR."

Gotta go. Looks like I'm in real trouble here.

Lol We need a like button .... this did make me chuckle ...jj
Old 07-22-2014, 10:07 PM

I very rarely use a regular block pattern - that is, using the sizes they say to use for the pieces with the 1/4" seam allowance - cuz i sew with my standard presser foot - which gives a 3/8" seam allowance, which is what i used for years before i knew that there were "rules" to quilting. I make the pieces the size i need them to be to allow for the 3/8"seam allowance.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:31 PM

And as my dear Gram used to say...."close enough for the guys we loaf with".
Old 07-23-2014, 02:16 AM

I don't pre wash and I don't bury my threads..... Just snip them off! Oh and all of the above!

hugs

Caroline
Old 07-23-2014, 03:39 AM

This is just what I need to hear...I thought I was the only one making it up as I went along..