Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what do u do that would bring the quilt police? >

what do u do that would bring the quilt police?

what do u do that would bring the quilt police?

Old 07-24-2012, 05:01 AM

Wow, this is great....
I feel better now.. after seeing all these beautiful quilts that you ladies have been making and showing...
I am still learning so, ok
I don't pre-wash because I like to new feel and stiffness
I don't change rotary blades as often as I should
I redo points or blocks maybe twice then if not right then bag it and I figure I'm the only one that will know
Old 07-24-2012, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltyPleasure View Post
When I first started, I couldn't afford cotton or polyester batton, so I used fleece blankets from the dollar store (still mostly do)
you know this is a great 'cheap' idea for charity quilts....what "dollar store has cheap Fleece blankets ?????
Old 07-24-2012, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by sewplease View Post
Great thread here but have I missed this one - flipping a seam the opposite way to get it to nest and causing it to twist in the middle?
When I moved from a third floor apartment to the first floor, I just picked up my mat with project and open rotary cutter to carry down the stairs. Started on my way down, tripped, and the cutter fell all the way down. Thank goodness no one was below me and the quilt police were busy elsewhere. :-)
When I nest my seams and the seam becomes twisted like maybe 50% of the time, I the seam in the middle, half goes one way and half goes the other....Don't know if this is kosher, but what I do....A LOT !!!
Old 07-24-2012, 09:49 AM

I'm awful glad that the Q.P. don't know where I live.

I do all of the above and more.

I have the most fun when I'm in my sewing studio, cutting fabric and making the sewing machine hum. I recently cut squares for a backing for a Christmas door decoration. Some of those squares were hideous but when I put them all together they looked great, but I bet the Q.P. would take my machines and rotary cutter away from me if they ever saw it.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by annthreecats View Post
I'm awful glad that the Q.P. don't know where I live.

I do all of the above and more.

I have the most fun when I'm in my sewing studio, cutting fabric and making the sewing machine hum. I recently cut squares for a backing for a Christmas door decoration. Some of those squares were hideous but when I put them all together they looked great, but I bet the Q.P. would take my machines and rotary cutter away from me if they ever saw it.
i think they would only issue you a "stern warning", no ticket for the first offense
Old 07-24-2012, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees View Post
you know this is a great 'cheap' idea for charity quilts....what "dollar store has cheap Fleece blankets ?????
You have to watch what you use, because some of those fleece blankets can't take the high heat of commercial dryers, and will melt. QFK prefers cotton.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:04 AM

OMG I've been arrested so many time for breaking all the rules in quilting.. Im the worst.. I cant't follow a pattern,cause I get bored to easy & have taken the quilts appart so many times that my husband thinks Im just wasting my time.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by delma_paulk View Post
I always quilt to my tastes, always take every shortcut I can think of, Always do the binding on the machine, sometimes I miscut and will sew a scrap on to make it the correct size. I give my quilts to family. If they like it, good, if not, do not tell me and just put it in the closet.

Just gave my BIL one on Thursday, a valor quilt as he is retired Army, retired educator and has been honored by the office of the President of The United States of America as the Outstanding Citizen. Told him he could have this quilt one of two ways: 1...He could pay me $450 and he could say bad things about it, point out where I missed a point or seam or whatever. 2...He could have it with my love if he did not do all these things and it would not cost him anything. He thanked me profusely for the quilt and told me how great he thought it was, so its his.

I appreciate all Veterans and thank them for service to our country.

delma
hugs to your bil for serving our country,the other day at the super market an elderly gentleman was getting a shopping cart same time as I he very politely let me go first and said what a beautiful day you know I am a ww2 veteran I smiled and thank him for serving our country and gave him a hug right there in the parking lot and indeed it was a beautiful day blue skies no humidity doesn't get any better kind a day.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:43 AM
Power Poster

Most of the time I do a good job of "policing" myself.

I have put together some blocks where the centers are off - and I'm leaving them - because I'm not able to get them any better.

I press/iron a finished block like I was rolling out pie dough.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:47 AM

I never wash/dry fabric before I cut.
I've also used my permanent fabric markers if an important point doesn't line up.
I only change my needle if it breaks