Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what do u do that would bring the quilt police? >

what do u do that would bring the quilt police?

what do u do that would bring the quilt police?

Old 06-10-2013, 09:49 AM

This is a GREAT thread, especially for someone relatively new at quilting. I posted the thread a little while ago about everything going wrong from the beginning of a quilt I am making for my hubby and I should have read all this first. Now I don't feel so bad that nothing worked for that quilt and I will proudly give it to him father's day without listing my errors. Where can you get a list of these policed rules (dos and don'ts) from? Just so I have something to throw darts at!
Old 06-10-2013, 10:07 AM

Thank you for this funny thread, it conforted the french beginner that I am... excuse my poor english!
Old 06-10-2013, 03:08 PM

Thank you~now I know it's okay to put the many quilting books down and just have fun. I have been striving for perfection to be just like the rest of you. Now I know it's okay to break the rules, if necessary, and no one will know except me. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:08 PM

I started using only neutral thread for piecing after I read a quote from a national quilt lady that does that too. works for me.
Originally Posted by JENNR8R View Post
I always use clear monofiliment thread on top and an Ecru-colored thread on the bottom of my free-motion quilting. I always pick backing fabric that the Ecru thread will blend with. (If you can't see my stitches, the quilting looks fabulous!) All of my piecing is done with the same neutral beige/grey thread.

Three kinds of threads in the same colors... that's it. I'm too cheap to go out and buy different colored threads to match each color of fabric in the quilt.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:13 PM

Oh boy, Oh boy! This is great! I taught myself to quilt on the internet 2 months ago, and have been feeling like a "quilter wannbe". Each time I try something new, it's never "perfect". I keep trying, but can't stop myself from taking bunches of shortcuts (as many of you have described). Now I won't be as hard on myself... I'm my own worst enemy and critic. All of your beautiful quilts make me feel like I'll never, ever get that good. Maybe if I get a better machine, new template, more lessons, better rotary cutter or mat, or, or, or! But, I'm really, really good at enjoying this board every day. Yea!
Old 06-10-2013, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by MacThayer View Post
Well, so that's what the other side of the fence looks like! Gee, I'd like to be there! I'm one of those "a tad too obsessive compulsive types" who will re-do a whole block if it doesn't turn out perfect, and will rip out a whole set of blocks if they don't line up perfectly, and I drive myself absolutely nuts getting everything in perfect alignment, with perfect points, and everything square, and the binding properly sew on, with the back done by hand, and so on, and so on, ad. nauseum. So positively revel in what you have ladies! It's a gift! Trust me, it's a very wonderful, very freeing gift, and I envy you!
I've got an assignment for you. Ask your friends to give you two fat quarters of absolutely ugly fabric (you can give them 2 nice ones in return). Using no templates and only scraps, make a quilt. No matching please! Back it with uglies and put several tucks in that back. Quilt it with the most outrageous thread and uneven stitches. Bind it with zigzag. put curtain hooks on it and hang it from a shower rod. Show it with pride at you next quilt guild and definitely post pics. HAVE FUN.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:17 PM

I try to do the best I can, but I often have a talk to the perfectionist in me...saying "it's ok...done is better than perfect."
Old 06-10-2013, 06:30 PM

and I thought I was the only one that broke all the rules lol
Old 06-10-2013, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by CookieZenmilk View Post
if my seams don't match up, i color the fabric with a sharpie or magic marker.
i rotary cut towards myself instead of away from myself.
i don't always iron the fabric before i cut my fabric. i often see bowed strips but i "make it work"
i only change my needle if it breaks.
As long as they don't carry stun guns, I'll just sic my big dog on them.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees View Post
When all else fails and I can not trim a seam well enough to get it to flatten, I hit it with a hammer, works every time
I've done that when I have 8 pieces meeting in the center. Works for me.