Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what do u do that would bring the quilt police? >

what do u do that would bring the quilt police?

what do u do that would bring the quilt police?

Old 07-21-2012, 06:45 PM

Truth be told......I don't measure my sashings or borders. I just sew them on and snip them off at the end.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by OneMoreQuilt View Post
Truth be told......I don't measure my sashings or borders. I just sew them on and snip them off at the end.
Oh, I forgot this one! I do this too! They are never short or wavy!!
Old 07-21-2012, 07:00 PM

Ok - I DO have a new one that no one else has mentioned. Although I don't have many visitors, I do allow smoking in my house. The SHAME!!!! of that one. The quilts and fabric do have their separate room, however. I used to be like Miss Meticulous but have relaxed in my old age. I used to want everything perfect. Now I just want things done so I can start the next one. (Kinda compulsive that way - I do finish things) I've been doing this for so long that those little missed points add up to nothing for me and for the most part they are right on anyway. I don't wash the fabric first. I wash the quilt with some vinegar. Works for me. Yes, the bindings are always hand stitched and the quilting is done by hand 98% of the time. The good part ?? We all get to choose how we do it!
Old 07-21-2012, 07:37 PM

When I was selecting fabrics for my first big quilt, the Quilt Police at the LQS informed me most emphatically that I could not mix prints with cream backgrounds with those that were white. I just said "Hmm, really?" , then bought what I wanted. Every scrappy quilt since then has both white and off-white fabrics.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:39 PM

I sure do like this thread I too am guilty of many of these things but I never thought other quilters were. I have never shown any of my work on this board because I thought everyone else pretty much followed the rules. I cannot absolutely cannot completly follow a pattern and am always taking shortcuts got so tired of miscuts that I started using my scissors to cut
Old 07-21-2012, 07:50 PM

I don't prewash, I attach binding with machine stitch on both sides, I sometimes use cotton thread on top with polyester in the bobbin and I dont press my seams open.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:32 PM

I mix fabrics, often placing LQS fabric right next to WalMart fabric.

Was showing my daughter how to hem sleep shorts, this afternoon. "I'm gonna explain the right way to do this, then I'll show you how I do it." She agreed my way is easier/faster, therefore better.

I'm another, who seldom changes the needle. If it breaks or bends, it gets changed. For some unexplained reason, this has never caused me any problems.

Last edited by Neesie; 07-21-2012 at 08:38 PM.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:57 PM

I guess it's my turn to admit the unruly things I do. I do size my blocks as I go along but never size my finished quilt
before binding. I mix store bought material with cut up pieces from barely used cloths. I never change my needle unless
it starts a clicking sound ,are thread starts to break a-lot. I use surger thread most of the time even though I have
other kinds but there in smaller size so don't use them as much. I do prewash and starch. I smoke my cig.'s while I work ,there's always a ash tray nearby. I do wash all my quilts after they are binded before storing are given away.
I also use sheets for my backings and Blankets for my batting most of the time cause they cost me less.
I pretty much do what I want to do and I have fun doing it..
Old 07-21-2012, 09:14 PM

sheets for backing - yup, yup, yup. I make quilts for the high school grads from my small church. I've known these kids all their lives and seldom have a teen aged boy who I think will take care of his quilt. So I happily make them from fabrics I've collected on sale and back them with sheets. The love is still there, but if the quilt is lost the first week it's gifted - no pain! Well, a little, but I don't usually find out about it anyway.

Edited to say: I took over this joyful chore from a lady who made quilts for the grads for many years. She's over 100 years old now and unable to sew. My kids graduated in 1998 and 2000. Their quilts from her are still in use - both backed with sheets, made with big blocks, no batting (summer quilts), birthed instead of bound - the quilt police who take this lady in if you told! But ... much love went in them and the day the quilts are laid out for gifting it's a Big Deal - then and now.

Last edited by JanTx; 07-21-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:45 PM

You have no idea how much this thread has given me (a new quilter) a boost! I'm a bit like MacThayer - a tad obsessive/compulsive too...

I look at everyone's hammered, uneven, unwashed, sheeted, unmeasured, scissor cut, pet haired, smoky, polyester quilts and see them as perfect.
My absolute favourite is BellaBoo and the glued seams - hilarious.
Since I joined this board I'm slowly relaxing and have even stared a new project without finishing the last one and am also guilty of hacking at a lumpy point with a pair of scissors to make it lie flatter. Where will it end?