Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you like about your Quilting Guild/Group/Co-Op? >

What do you like about your Quilting Guild/Group/Co-Op?

What do you like about your Quilting Guild/Group/Co-Op?

Old 04-23-2014, 05:02 AM

Good point ZENNIA! It's a good way to stay motivated
Old 04-23-2014, 05:17 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
having 'friends' to show your projects to is wonderful, also, having a group to look at a 'problem' and help you 'problem solve' really comes in handy sometimes. being able to see what others are working on, help them, bounce ideas around- work on 'group projects', inspiration, motivation, - the opportunities ( with a guild) to have authors, designers, teachers visit & participate in workshops- the list goes on & on. I love my sewing group and guild!
This is exactly what I was thinking when I was reading this thread. Thanks ckcowl !! I never knew there were groups of sewers that met at my local senior center. Got to catch the 8:30am bus !!
Old 04-23-2014, 05:23 AM

For those of you that belong in a guild, what does the guild provide for you at sewing sessions? Tables, chairs, sewing supplies, irons and boards, spare machines???? Ours provided the bare minimum...just tables and chairs and electricity, of course. However, I have a friend that belongs to a larger guild and they have tons of supplies at hand and several ironing boards and irons that are there, ready to use...nice!

~Cindy
Old 04-23-2014, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
For those of you that belong in a guild, what does the guild provide for you at sewing sessions? Tables, chairs, sewing supplies, irons and boards, spare machines???? Ours provided the bare minimum...just tables and chairs and electricity, of course. However, I have a friend that belongs to a larger guild and they have tons of supplies at hand and several ironing boards and irons that are there, ready to use...nice!

~Cindy
Ours too only provides bare necessities...but we don't have them on a regular basis. Wish they were.....
Old 04-23-2014, 06:39 AM

I belong to a guild and love it. We have a variety of classes ranging from beginner to experienced for all levels. Most members are very welcoming. Show and tell is always the best. No matter what level you are at quilting, you always get good feedback from the other members.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:12 AM

Did not like the Guild with its minutes, volunteers, etc.
Miss my little group of six that I moved away from. We met once a month and brought a goodie to share and our projects. We made quilts for injured vets and our own group projects. We shared our knowledge and new finds.
It was great and I miss it very much.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:46 AM

Ours is not a guild, just a group of about 12 quilters that meets twice a month in our church social room. No rules, just show and tell, sharing of ideas and learning from each other. Bring our own lunch but some one always brings a dessert to share. We are doing a mystery quilt right now and once a year we plan a road trip to several quilt shops. No dues and no officers in charge.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by mic-pa View Post
Ours is not a guild, just a group of about 12 quilters that meets twice a month in our church social room. No rules, just show and tell, sharing of ideas and learning from each other. Bring our own lunch but some one always brings a dessert to share. We are doing a mystery quilt right now and once a year we plan a road trip to several quilt shops. No dues and no officers in charge.
Now that group sounds like fun...wish I could find one like that
Old 04-24-2014, 02:38 AM

Everyone is friendly and we all share ideas, etc.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:48 AM

I belong to two guilds and love them both. I joined the first one the first meeting after I retired. I had never had time to do those kinds of things when working. The second one after I moved to a new town. Both gave me the opportunity to meet others with similar interests.

The first one meets at a church where they let us store our supplies and have big tables and chairs we use. The second meets at a LQS and they let us store our supplies in their store room. They provide big tables and chairs as well. We learn from others. I love our workdays because we sew and laugh a whole lot. Once a month each guild has a meeting where we do our business and have a program teaching new and different techniques.

One has about 30 members and the other about 15. When you get that many people (in our case all women) you will have a touch of drama. Drama can be a bit fun as long as you are a spectator. For the most part both are just tons of fun and I have met some wonderful women and have become close friends with a few.