Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you think of this idea for selling fabric? >

What do you think of this idea for selling fabric?

What do you think of this idea for selling fabric?

Old 10-11-2010, 07:52 AM

I think it's a good idea. However, I never buy anything on the internet that I can't see what I'm buying. Learned that the hard way many years ago.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:06 AM

I'd be interested in a box of fun fabrics at sale prices. I love whimsy!

PM me when you're ready to start clearing out and come up with a price and an approximation of yardage.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:15 AM
np3
Power Poster

Originally Posted by katied772
Originally Posted by featherweight
I want to see what I am purchasing for 30.00. 4 yds =25.00 +5.00, for unseen fabrics?????
I agree but I am thinking a large amount will fit into the flat rate boxes and it wouldn't be 4.00 per yard. I know I would take a loss on the fabric but want to clear it out quick and am willing to do so.
Here is what I do on eBay

I stand the fabrics up sideways in the box and take one picture. Then I put the fabric on the bathroom scale and tell how many pounds it is. For cotton fabric, 4 yards is about a pound. This is acceptable for a bargain box. The picture shows the colors/prints and the weight gives an approximate yardage. If you want a better price, you will need to measure it.

There are documented bad experiences on eBay, but I don't think that kind of issue will come up with the quilters on this board. We are all willing to help you.....we get fabric!!!!
Old 10-11-2010, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by np3
I want to see what I am purchasing for 30.00. 4 yds =25.00 +5.00, for unseen fabrics?????
I agree but I am thinking a large amount will fit into the flat rate boxes and it wouldn't be 4.00 per yard. I know I would take a loss on the fabric but want to clear it out quick and am willing to do so.

I stand the fabrics up sideways in the box and take one picture. Then I put the fabric on the bathroom scale and tell how many pounds it is. For cotton fabric, 4 yards is about a pound. This is acceptable for a bargain box. The picture shows the colors/prints and the weight gives an approximate yardage. If you want a better price, you will need to measure it.

There are documented bad experiences on eBay, but I don't think that kind of issue will come up with the quilters on this board. We are all willing to help you.....we get fabric!!!!
Very good idea!!
Old 10-11-2010, 08:17 AM
Banned

wht a neat idea to sell off you stash in surprise packages. but with the way the real world is, you realy do need to post pics, as most people who dont know you wont trust you. I hate to be blunt but honest.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by stewyscrewy
wht a neat idea to sell off you stash in surprise packages. but with the way the real world is, you realy do need to post pics, as most people who dont know you wont trust you. I hate to be blunt but honest.
Totally understand that and I realize it will not be everyones "cup of tea" but for those willing to take a chance, they will get some truly quality fabric for a great deal. And I will have a clear space!
Old 10-11-2010, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by np3

Okay, I tried filling a large flat rate box and it is 10 pounds. So, according to your figures that would be maybe 40 yards? What would be considered a good price to you for this? 100% cotton, LQS quality.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:32 AM

I'm not sure what would be a good price or not, but I think if you filled the medium rate boxes you would have a better chance of selling the boxes "site unseen" kind of thing. I think the larger boxes people would consider too much of a risk.

Also, debbieumphress sold some scrap boxes with fabric on here not too long ago... maybe look that up and see what her prices were (can't remember) to use as a possible guideline? Hop ethis helps you a little.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:32 AM

Interested in stash box. PM when ready to do so. Xmas is my first choice.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:33 AM
np3
Power Poster

Originally Posted by np3

Okay, I tried filling a large flat rate box and it is 10 pounds. So, according to your figures that would be maybe 40 yards? What would be considered a good price to you for this? 100% cotton, LQS quality.
That will be high. For $2 a yard, the fabric would be $80 and the shipping another $14.95. And I don't know if that is enough money for you per yard. $3 per yard would be $120 plus shipping.

Why don't you try 20-25 yards in the medium box which would take it down to around $40-$50 plus $10.95 shipping? (If you want $3 per yard, it will be higher) You would get more takers.