Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Should I get??? >

What Should I get???

What Should I get???

Old 08-25-2015, 10:08 AM

Default What Should I get???

Hi Guys,

My daughter (my beautiful baby) is coming home for a visit in October and bringing with her my wonderful grandsons...... this in itself is amazing and I should not be asking for anything else.....! but she has said that she will have room in her suitcase to bring Mummy home so quilting things.....

Well, my little brain has gone into overdrive and I just cannot think.... so I need so ideas of what I should get sent to her in Texas for her to bring me.

I think I am just over excited.... I am going to get the Moonglow kit...... but I need ideas for fabrics, notions and fusible etc that I can't get easily in the UK!

Help please!

Hugs

Caroline
Old 08-25-2015, 03:02 PM

Caroline, I'm just so happy for you and I'm sure you must be too excited right now to think of anything! Sorry, I don't have any suggestions for you right now. Hopefully, some ideas will come to you soon. Just enjoy!
Old 08-25-2015, 03:35 PM

Is there a particular type of fabrics you like? CW, 30's, precuts. Find.a good sale so you can really get her suitcase full. Have fun choosing
Old 08-25-2015, 04:39 PM

Favorite threads? I love Aurifil & hear it's much cheaper in the U.S. Not sure what kind of fabrics you like (repro, solids, large print, batik...) but it would be easier to give suggestions if we know that.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:50 PM

You should look online - you could even order things online and have them shipped to your daughter. Missouri Star Quilt Company has a flat rate $5 shipping, and they have a wonderful selection of precuts. Enjoy your visit!
Old 08-25-2015, 07:12 PM

Missouri Star Quilt Company and Fabric.com .
I like Beverly Fabrics too - they have the Daily Deal with some great prices. I do machine embroidery and love the prices on Threadart.com, they have cotton thread too. But I cannot vouch for the cotton, I do like the embroidery thread.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:36 PM
Power Poster

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by CarolinePaj View Post
Hi Guys,

My daughter (my beautiful baby) is coming home for a visit in October and bringing with her my wonderful grandsons...... this in itself is amazing and I should not be asking for anything else.....! but she has said that she will have room in her suitcase to bring Mummy home so quilting things.....

Well, my little brain has gone into overdrive and I just cannot think.... so I need so ideas of what I should get sent to her in Texas for her to bring me.

I think I am just over excited.... I am going to get the Moonglow kit...... but I need ideas for fabrics, notions and fusible etc that I can't get easily in the UK!

Help please!

Hugs

Caroline
No idea but it sounds like a fun problem. Just keep track of how much her suitcase is allowed to weigh. We just went to Hawaii and I had 40 lbs of extra weight I could take back. I filled it in no time with T-shirts, food, towels and fabric. I ended up shipping back by mail another 20 lbs of fabric, lots of big pieces for backs, and 11 lbs of food. The T-shirts and towels for all the kids filled most of the 40 lbs extra space we had in our luggage. I think it came close to 3 yards of fabric is about 1 lb.

Have a wonderful time with your DD and grand babies!!!!!!!!
Old 08-26-2015, 01:42 AM

Hi Guys,

thanks for all the ideas....... Thread is a great idea and doesn't weigh too much and I will definitely be picking up some fabric....... the reason I posted is that I often see great notions and accessories (different stabilisers etc) mentioned here on the board, but I just cannot for the life of me remember what I have seen.

I am so excited to see our grand babies........ as some of you will know C.J. has undergone brain surgery twice in his short little life and I worry so much about him.... to have him here for nearly 4 weeks of condensed Gaga (he christened me this when he couldn't say Grandma) time is going to be amazing.... I am counting down the days..... plus I get to cuddle my own baby for a few weeks.

Hugs and thanks for the ideas...

Caroline
Old 08-26-2015, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
No idea but it sounds like a fun problem. Just keep track of how much her suitcase is allowed to weigh. We just went to Hawaii and I had 40 lbs of extra weight I could take back. I filled it in no time with T-shirts, food, towels and fabric. I ended up shipping back by mail another 20 lbs of fabric, lots of big pieces for backs, and 11 lbs of food. The T-shirts and towels for all the kids filled most of the 40 lbs extra space we had in our luggage. I think it came close to 3 yards of fabric is about 1 lb.

Have a wonderful time with your DD and grand babies!!!!!!!!
May I ask what kind of food you brought back from Hawaii? We weren't allowed to pack any food when we went several years ago. Had to ship pineapples from the airport.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:26 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltin-nannie View Post
May I ask what kind of food you brought back from Hawaii? We weren't allowed to pack any food when we went several years ago. Had to ship pineapples from the airport.
Some items had dried seaweed and all were packaged Asian type foods.

Due to allergies, I also hand carried a lunch of cut fresh pineapples, cold cuts, cut steamed vegetables, cheese sticks, hard boiled egg, crackers and popcorn. I did leave the raw almonds in HI.

I called the airlines the night before leaving and asked about the fruit and vegetables and was told it was OK for a personal lunch.

I know there sometimes are specifications like the egg needs to be boiled very hard. People were bringing pineapples onboard but I think they were specially packaged and cleared for taking to the mainland. Maybe they changed on specifications?