Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Techniques have you used to HIDE-N-SNEAK fabric in the house? >

What Techniques have you used to HIDE-N-SNEAK fabric in the house?

What Techniques have you used to HIDE-N-SNEAK fabric in the house?

Old 03-18-2011, 05:38 AM

Dh never says a word about what I buy. He learned about 30 years ago not to say anything. We use to visit my parents and would go shopping at a craft store. I would only buy little cross-stitch kits that were on sale. This is basically how our conversation went that day:

Dh: Do you really need that?
Me: No, but I want it, it's cute.
Dh: Don't you have enough stuff at home?
Me: Probably. Do I go out to Bingo with the ladies, then go sit in the bar with them for a couple of hours afterwards?
Dh: No.
Me: Do I go bowling with the girls and sit in the bar for a couple of hours?
Dh: No.
Me: Where am I every night?
Dh: Home.
Me: What am I doing every night?
Dh: I don't know, some kind of stitching.
Me: Now, would you rather have me home stitching or out with the girls?
Dh: Home. Is there anything else you need?
Me: No, this is it.

Since then, he never says anything about fabric or anything else I buy.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:55 AM

I don't hide, but I think hiding sounds like much more fun!!
Old 03-18-2011, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by charity-crafter
For me, I have a very frugal hubby which most of the time I appreciate. He want's to get value for his money, he's very careful of what he buys and expects me to be as frugal. I think if I would only buy what I was going to use for a project he probably wouldn't give me the sad look.

Plus my stash isn't very pretty so it sort of looks like a mess to the nonquilty people. I mean, I understand my piles...

A few years ago I mentioned I wanted a new sewing machine because the one I had was very basic, I wanted to get a few more bells and whistles. He went to the fabric store by himself and talked with the sewing machine lady and bought me a brand new Viking DSE. This is the man who doesn't bother buying presents for major events. His thing is a kiss and a "I love you" So I was completely blown away with a $5k sewing machine that I would have never bought for myself.
this is my hubby too. A frugal man that loves to see me happy, and never hesitates to let me purchase something I want if I think I need it!!! He just smiles :thumbup:
Old 03-18-2011, 06:14 AM

My husband really doesn't care but there is something exciting about sneaking something into the house.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:28 AM

Funny this should come up now. I was just talking about this with some friends. One told me she knew a lady who kept empty Cheerios boxes. Then would roll her fabric up, place the boxes among her other groceries, and sneak it in that way!

Personally, seems like too much work for me! Guess I'm just lucky I carry a big purse!
Old 03-18-2011, 06:29 AM

My husb does not care if I buy material. He buys tools. So I don't have to hide my materal .Sometimes I think he may put his new tools away before I see them though. I don't know why...
Old 03-18-2011, 07:02 AM

I don't hide fabric, DH is usually with me when we visit a quilt shop which is when we visit our grandbabies. No quilt shops local. If I buy online he knows about it too. We are very honest with each other.
I also must add, that DH does not care, he told me, he buys tools, why shoudn't I be able to buy fabric
Old 03-18-2011, 07:25 AM

My DH would probably buy me a fabric store if it was in the budget. He just built (with help) a quilting studio/guest house for me out of a grain silo. I'm married to a saint! I've spent the last 5 years living 6 hours from him tending to the needs of his mother who has Alzheimers.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:27 AM

I don't hide it. I complain every time I bring some home about the price.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by moonwork42029
Hubby is gone all week so there's no reason to hide it coming in...however...he NEVER goes into the room where it's piled...think he's afraid...and he should be, lol.
Me too, and I pay with cash so there's no paper trail! I don't over spend, but my DH has different priorities when it comes to spending--his! I'd just as soon avoid the hassle.