Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Techniques have you used to HIDE-N-SNEAK fabric in the house? >

What Techniques have you used to HIDE-N-SNEAK fabric in the house?

What Techniques have you used to HIDE-N-SNEAK fabric in the house?

Old 03-18-2011, 09:23 AM

I couldn't hide if I wanted to. Every time I use the debit card, he gets an email from the bank that shows I made a purchase at where ever and how much I spent.

But it wouldn't matter. The man encourages me to spend and sew. We stopped at my sewing machine shop recently for me to buy a notion. He sees a Pfaff on sale for $6,500 and starts asking the store clerk questions about it like he is going to buy it for me. I had to drag him out of there! LOL! I'm the tight one at our house. LOLOL
Old 03-18-2011, 09:32 AM
Power Poster

i always find it sad and a little worrisome when i hear people are (sneaking-hiding) their purchases...regardless if it's fabric, food, clothes...what ever---it is a sad thing to be living in such a state...i would not be able to buy anything if i felt i had to hide it from anyone. i stay within my budget -sell and quilt enough to support my hobbie and would not dream of (sneaking packages into my home) i would feel dishonest
Old 03-18-2011, 10:03 AM

Well, I was getting worried at first reading this thread with so many declaring they didn't have to hide. You are lucky to have such understanding SOs. My DH just doesn't understand why I would ever need another scrap of fabric when I already have so much. Recently I bought a piece for backing, and he was astonished that I "needed" fabric. I had to explain what it was for, and then he seemed mollified. It's worse because most of the fabric in my stash was purchased with garments in mind and aren't suitable for quilting. (I'm working on destashing those.) Don't get me wrong; I can do whatever I want. But, as another board member remarked, I just don't like the looks and disapproving remarks.

That being said, I mostly used the whisking the fabric into the house when he wasn't looking or wasn't home. And I like the cover of "Oh, I already had that." I think I've considered using that from time to time but haven't needed to. At the height of my "illness," though, I actually had fabric delivered to my work! We had a great central mailing unit that distributed letters and packages to our offices. I did finally start getting a few notices stuck onto my fabric purchases stating that they suspected these packages were not "workplace-related." LOL!

Yeah, I did feel a little guilty, but it was my money.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:54 AM

When I do buy fabric or anything related to quilting my standard answer. "I got a bargain."
Old 03-18-2011, 11:11 AM

Lol this is too funny! I have a small side job that earns me some extra fabric cash, so when I buy, my husband looks at it and will sometimes comment, "Oh, that looks so cool! I want that on a quilt for me!" But otherwise, he really doesn't care. I think he's happy that I have a hobby. Lol
Old 03-18-2011, 11:15 AM

I don't hide anything I buy. My DH is very understanding. Made him a shirt yesterday. I'm good for the next 100 years.

However, you hiding things made me think of a friend from long ago. She would buy clothes and bring them home and throw them into the dryer. Next day she would come out wearing the item. Her Dh would ask, "Isn't that new? " Her reply, "NO, I just got it out of the dryer."
Old 03-18-2011, 11:27 AM

i don't hide it.
I don't smoke, drink, or gamble. Though if I did it probably wouldn't cost as much as my fabric does some times.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:29 AM

My husband knows when I have started a new quilt project. I always tell him I'm on the way to shop for more fabric. So its never a problem. I show him what I bought and ask
what he thinks. Usually same answer-"its nice". Can't get
much better than that. Betty Lee
Old 03-18-2011, 11:54 AM

I wouldn't hide anything from my husband, especially my spending habits, and he gives me the money I need to go and buy my fabric.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:58 AM

Oh yeah, I have to sneak fabric into the house.

Batting too, now thats tough to hide, so I usually will wait until hubby is sleeping for that one!