Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Techniques have you used to HIDE-N-SNEAK fabric in the house? >

What Techniques have you used to HIDE-N-SNEAK fabric in the house?

What Techniques have you used to HIDE-N-SNEAK fabric in the house?

Old 03-18-2011, 12:10 PM

And that's exactly why i love living on my own,
seriously in my previous life (divorced now and have been for 20 years) and know exactly where your coming from,
Hope you carry on finding those places.

Originally Posted by grugirl
Now, there is some serious denial issues here I know. None of us want to really admit that we do this.. hiding and sneaking fabric into the house. I will begin and then perhaps you won't be so apprehensive to share your techniques. LOL

1. In the trunk, under the spare tire, inside a bag of things I was sending to my mom's house.. that was a solid colored bag of course.

2. In the sleeves of my coat as I carried it in.

3. In my backpack, luckily I go to college and can stop on the way home at a fabric store and stuff some more in.

4. In my lunchbox... no kidding...

I would like to hear from others. LOL
Old 03-18-2011, 12:18 PM

When I worked at USF my motto was never buy more fabric than will fit in your briefcase to go home at night!

I was so hooked when I started to quilt that I used to take a late lunch so I could go to the quilt store and see what the UPS may brought. And, I fussed at him when he was late!

They didn't always know the price but they knew I'd be back the next day. I hung out there so often they eventually hired me!

Those were the 'good ole days'. Now I'm in the too young to collect social security and too old to be marketable to change jobs. I am grateful for the job I have and since DH's stroke I have really had to cut back on spending but I have a ton of fabric at home to play with!

Peggy in beautiful, sunny Florida!
Old 03-18-2011, 12:33 PM

I order a lot-years ago, my dh opened a box that arrived before I got home from work-inside was a Christmas present I'd ordered for him. . .I read him the riot act about opening things that weren't addressed to him and how it ruins surprises!!! Since then when a box comes, he just brings it in, doesn't ask, and I never tell!!
Old 03-18-2011, 12:42 PM

Some things I have no problem with - he is with me everytime I go shopping (it is the only way he can get out of the house now). He encourages me to quilt as he feels guilty about my having to be gone for work almost 12 hours a day and still have to do most, if not all, of the work at home. Sweet guy. But when I order on line, I feel guilty! So, I have it delivered to my work. And since I take the bus, I already carry a backpack bring it home a little at a time. Then when I use it, he doesn't seem to remember when I got the fabric, and isn't bothered by it because it makes me happy. I don't know if I'm sneaking it in because of him or because of my own guilt.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:44 PM

I don't need to hide mine. He never notices how much fabric I have or when I get my hair cut, loose 30 pounds, wear something new, or when I sick. Mostly if it's not about him, he doesn't care.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:47 PM

Don't have to sneak as he helps me carry it in. Appreciates what I do and quite frankly is my most valuable critic. If I have something on the design wall, he will analyze it and if he sees something that's not quite right, he will suggest another color or placement. Some times I take the suggestion, sometimes I don't. Hate to say it but he is usually right--grin.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:56 PM

If I had to start doing that I'd leave home. Guess I'm fortunate, but my shopping (lol too much) has never been an issue. I've worked in retail for the past 15 years since I retired from "real" work, so if I didn't bring bags home, DH would think I was seriously ill.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:52 PM

No hiding for me - DH says: "you work - you spend money on what you want." He even drives me to different quilting stores ( a Saturday activity since they are ALL more than 1 hour away) and Joann's; goes in occassionally but always want to see what I got ! I 'm a lucky lady !
Old 03-18-2011, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jeanniejo
I don't need to hide mine. He never notices how much fabric I have or when I get my hair cut, loose 30 pounds, wear something new, or when I sick. Mostly if it's not about him, he doesn't care.
How sad for you. Glad you are here.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:12 PM

Don't hide. I shop with Debit card, so he sees where I've shopped. He will let me know if I about to blow the budget
:-) Sometimes I feel guilty, then I just put it in my work room and not mention it.