Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your take on 'modern' quilts? >

What is your take on 'modern' quilts?

What is your take on 'modern' quilts?

Old 12-13-2013, 06:14 PM
Power Poster

Yes I do see the modern and liberated quilt styles as easier ways to sew. But it also allows for a new expression to emerge. If we want the art of quilting to continue as craft we need to have new quilters--it's not just Grandma's who quilt. The modern quilt movement has encouraged younger quilters to create. If this demographic wants to be hip and up to date they need to follow the dictates of current design. Traditional quilts don't always fit that influence. Over the years these artists will develop and modify their skills just as we "traditional" quilters have. I know my tastes in color and pattern, block choices and settings have changed over the years. I hope we can have enough fabric choices for all types of quilting so that we can continue to enjoy this satisfying past time in our own style.

Last edited by oksewglad; 12-13-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:15 PM

I am newer to quilting and in my 30's. I don't love traditional quilts (thought I do greatly appreciate the work they often take). For me they're just too fussy. Modern, OTOH, makes me very happy. I don't think all the "traditional" patterns have to not be "modern" since there are so many variables in any given quilt.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:17 PM
RST

There are some low-skill level modern quilts, just as there are low skill level traditional patterns. I think it's a big mistake to say that all modern quilts are lacking in technical challenge. Often the focus of a modern quilt is not on the piecing, but rather on the fabric selection or the quilting or the improvisational approach to creating it. A well made, visually pleasing, balanced quilt in the modern style is by no means a lazy woman's project.

I like modern quilting. I like that it's generally characterized by graphic elements and clean design. I like that it plays around with traditional elements and doesn't always take itself too seriously. That said, not all things calling themselves modern quilts are necessarily modern in style.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:28 PM

I'm doing a Skill Builder BOM that's being offered by Pile O Fabric, a modern quilter. So far, I haven't seen us avoiding any of the sewing skills used in traditional quilting. It's definitely a matter of taste, but I wouldn't say modern quilting is a cop-out. I also wouldn't knock the skills required for it.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:44 PM

When I watched this video on Quilters Newsletter TV I got a whole new perspective on modern quilts.

http://www.quiltersnewsletter.com/vi...s%2Findex.html

(Hope it's OK to post this link.)
Old 12-13-2013, 07:03 PM

What wss the comment?
Originally Posted by Holice View Post
Interesting take on the trend. I made a comment and was quoted in an article in the Wall Street Journal newspaper.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:11 PM

I love both! And I have seen some patterns of both I don't care for at all. Like everybody else, I suppose. Some of the 'modern' quilts with oddly-cut shapes look like a challenge to me. Is there an equivalent to 'quilters cache' for the modern quilter? I can google 5 bazillion double wedding ring quilts because it is a well-known and named pattern but not always so for the modern quilts. Great thread topic IMO.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:24 PM

I tend to like a lot of the modern quilts. I like the clean look of the negative space. I did hear a speaker at our guild comment that they had better learn the importance of a good seam or their quilts will not last for many years.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:29 PM

It's like everything that humans can do that is considered creative...creative. Modern quilts may or may not also represent quilting skills. In the end, as long as you had fun making the quilt and the recipient loves the quilt, the skills don't matter.

It's the love in a quilt that matters - not the skills of the quilter.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:42 PM

agreeing with Tartan.

I'm sad that folks sell "modern quilting" short. maybe it is the word "modern" that riles people. Sometimes, old looks new to me, and visa versa. I love seeing how the art/craft evolves. There are mad skills happening in the modern quilt world.

Last edited by DebraK; 12-13-2013 at 09:44 PM.