Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where do you buy your Muslin? >

Where do you buy your Muslin?

Where do you buy your Muslin?

Old 07-23-2012, 09:40 PM

Red face Where do you buy your Muslin?

After much thought and consideration I believe it is time to do a Cathedral Windows quilt, and to make a "full" size quilt it will take 26 to 12 yards of Muslin, depending on the width I use. So I started looking on the internet and wondered how do I know what is a good brand without being able to touch it.

So for those of you that buy it on a regular basis, do you buy it locally? Or do you order it on the internet, do you have a favorite website or a specific brand?

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can give me!
Old 07-23-2012, 09:44 PM
Power Poster

I like Kona muslin. You can buy it at JoAnn's, among other places.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:32 PM
Power Poster

I usually get Kona Premium muslin. Hancock's annual sale sometimes has a fabulous price on it. Otherwise I usually order it from http://www.fabric.com . Always check for coupon codes before you place your order, as fabric.com usually has something you can use aside from free shipping over $35.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:44 PM

I just recently bought bleached muslin locally at Hancock's Fabrics (not Paducah), it was around $2.00yd. It is beautiful!! It is for the back of a quilt that I am hand quilting. I wanted something finer than Kona (it's a little thick for hand quilting IMO) I was afraid that after washing it, I would find it lacking, but I am so pleased with it. It is soft and not too thin and that price is amazing! It is 100% cotton. If you have a Hancocks nearby you might want to take a look.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:58 PM

I've bought from several places. The only time I was unhappy is with some bleached muslin, and I honestly think the bleaching process made the fabric weak (but I could be talked out of this with the right information.) I look for unbleached muslin in a 200 thread count, which is a sturdy muslin, not flimsy. It's my "test" for making sure I get decent muslin over the internet. I also usually buy at Fabric.com, although I have used other sites. I usually start by "googling" 200 ct. unbleached muslin, just to see what's out there, and then narrowing it down from there. Last really nice stuff, I picked up off eBay for a really great price.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:21 PM

JoAnns always has a variety in width and price. I buy in quantity when I have a coupon.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:47 AM

I recently bought a full bolt with a 50% off coupon at Joannes for my Cathedral window
Old 07-24-2012, 03:38 AM

I have a couple of quilts that are all muslin and I bought the Southern Bell Creamy muslin; it's a good quality fabric and it's not too expensive. I got it at my LQS. I'm not going to get a cheaper fabric to make a whole quilt out of. I didn't use any in my cathedral window quilt though.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:59 AM

Yoder's store at Shipshewana, Indiana has a great assortment of quilting fabrics. Since we live in western Iowa, a quick trip is not possible, so I order by phone and have it sent. When I order, I always tell the salesperson to send the fabric their local quilters prefer. Never have been disappointed. I only order basic colors, by the way, and buy a bolt at a time.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:24 AM

I have a fondness for Moda fabrics so I generally use Moda Muslin. I get it at my LQS where they often have it on sale or have a coupon available. I usually purchase the wide width (108" I think). I generally get it when the LQS is having a buy one yard, get one yard free sale. or a 50% off coupon. Makes it very cost effective!!!