Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Where do you buy your Muslin?

Red face Where do you buy your Muslin?

After much thought and consideration I believe it is time to do a Cathedral Windows quilt, and to make a "full" size quilt it will take 26 to 12 yards of Muslin, depending on the width I use. So I started looking on the internet and wondered how do I know what is a good brand without being able to touch it.

So for those of you that buy it on a regular basis, do you buy it locally? Or do you order it on the internet, do you have a favorite website or a specific brand?

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can give me!

I like Kona muslin. You can buy it at JoAnn's, among other places.

Blog Entries
    I usually get Kona Premium muslin. Hancock's annual sale sometimes has a fabulous price on it. Otherwise I usually order it from http://www.fabric.com . Always check for coupon codes before you place your order, as fabric.com usually has something you can use aside from free shipping over $35.

I just recently bought bleached muslin locally at Hancock's Fabrics (not Paducah), it was around $2.00yd. It is beautiful!! It is for the back of a quilt that I am hand quilting. I wanted something finer than Kona (it's a little thick for hand quilting IMO) I was afraid that after washing it, I would find it lacking, but I am so pleased with it. It is soft and not too thin and that price is amazing! It is 100% cotton. If you have a Hancocks nearby you might want to take a look.

I've bought from several places. The only time I was unhappy is with some bleached muslin, and I honestly think the bleaching process made the fabric weak (but I could be talked out of this with the right information.) I look for unbleached muslin in a 200 thread count, which is a sturdy muslin, not flimsy. It's my "test" for making sure I get decent muslin over the internet. I also usually buy at Fabric.com, although I have used other sites. I usually start by "googling" 200 ct. unbleached muslin, just to see what's out there, and then narrowing it down from there. Last really nice stuff, I picked up off eBay for a really great price.
    MacThayer

JoAnns always has a variety in width and price. I buy in quantity when I have a coupon.
    Peace

I recently bought a full bolt with a 50% off coupon at Joannes for my Cathedral window

Blog Entries
    I have a couple of quilts that are all muslin and I bought the Southern Bell Creamy muslin; it's a good quality fabric and it's not too expensive. I got it at my LQS. I'm not going to get a cheaper fabric to make a whole quilt out of. I didn't use any in my cathedral window quilt though.
    Judy

Yoder's store at Shipshewana, Indiana has a great assortment of quilting fabrics. Since we live in western Iowa, a quick trip is not possible, so I order by phone and have it sent. When I order, I always tell the salesperson to send the fabric their local quilters prefer. Never have been disappointed. I only order basic colors, by the way, and buy a bolt at a time.

Blog Entries
    I have a fondness for Moda fabrics so I generally use Moda Muslin. I get it at my LQS where they often have it on sale or have a coupon available. I usually purchase the wide width (108" I think). I generally get it when the LQS is having a buy one yard, get one yard free sale. or a 50% off coupon. Makes it very cost effective!!!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I don't own much muslin. I use to make rag dolls so I bought yards for that and then coffee stained it. But besides that, I don't have any. I think, after reading this thread, that I will buy some Moda wide back muslin. Glad I read this thread!!!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I just finished a bolt of extra wide muslin (probably 90-108 inches) and I got it a JoAnn's with a coupon. I used it for my Cathedral Windows and it worked up very nicely. I can't remember exactly, but I think it was very inexpensive, $3.00-$4.00 a yard. Now all I have to do is make the windows--been working on it off and on for 5 years. lol
    Sue

I get mine from JoAnn's by the bolt when they have it on sale or use my discount coupon.

"Small deeds done are better than great deeds planned"
    Peter Marshall

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that
    take our breath away". - Hilary Cooper
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/2HartsCreations?ref=si_shop

Blog Entries
    I buy Moda muslin by the bolt at hancocks of paducah.com. If you buy 15 yards (full bolt) you get a nice discount. I think if you signupnfor their emails you may get a code for free shipping on your order. I always wait for their frequent free shipping offers. I just ordered a bolt of Kona black. Saved $10 with free shipping.

Haven't bought muslin in a long time, but used to buy Roc-lon brand....if I am remembering right it was #403...they have many different types.

I recently ordered some Moda muslin from Hancock's of Paducah. It was 120" wide and on sale for less than $8 per yd., the more yards you bought, the lower the price per yd. Not bad when you consider that one yard at 120" wide is equal to 3 yds. of regular width muslin.
    Last edited by May in Jersey; 07-24-2012 at 07:56 PM.

Thank you all for your input. I have been searching the internet off and on all day. Tomorrow I am going to have to make a decision.

I agree that the Roc-Lon is good and available at Joann's. My favorite is LEGACY brand, also available at Joann's. Although it is around $12/yd., it is 108" wide as I remember and just wonderful! Of course, purchase with a 40% or 50% off coupon.

I buy either Moda muslin or Southern Belle, which is more tightly woven, almost like batik fabric, with no slubs. It's terrific for applique. I purchase them at Caroline's Cottage Cottons in Rome City, IN.