Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
This is why we give quilts - not sell them >

This is why we give quilts - not sell them

This is why we give quilts - not sell them

Old 01-17-2015, 02:33 PM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Interesting .. this is why I give away; no one wants to pay the prices one has into a quilt. Be polite and next time anyone wants a quilt made: sorry I am busy with a family quilt, then change the conversation.
I make for my granddaughters, daughters and their husbands.
Old 01-17-2015, 02:55 PM

Why do I have to pay $100.00 for my haircut and color? It is only a pair of scissors and some dye?

sandy
Old 01-17-2015, 05:18 PM

An interesting thread. I am a relatively new quilter but have sold some both online and at markets. These were mostly very basic quilting diagonally through squares, not the "fancy" quilting I am starting to do now. That said they still took plenty of time. Unfortunately supply outstrips demand, so getting the right price can be difficult if you do want to sell them. For me, I do these for fun, so I just want to cover my costs, and any extra is a bonus. However I usually add at least 100% of the costs for my time - more (sometimes 200-500%) depending on the quilt. If I get no interest, I reduce the price. As I said, I do it for fun, so I go with the flow a bit here, the aim is just to fund the next project.

For family I will happily make a quilt for free, sometimes I will supply the fabric, or if they want specific fabric they can supply it. Luckily my family mostly sew so they understand how much time and effort is required.

I no longer do custom orders, as I got stung by a woman who placed an order for a crib set, she paid a deposit which covered most of the materials, and was very happy with the photos of the finished product. She then gave all manner of reasons why it was unsuitable, mainly that the colour looked different (it was identical to a sample I had sent her). The issues she advised were coming from her husband. She wanted me to send it to her to see if it was OK before she paid the balance. I'm not stupid so I refused, I put lots of time into it and wasn't going to send it to a stranger unpaid. She then became quite nasty, even threatening legal action. I ended up having to advise I would sue for breach of contract if I was contacted again by her, and thankfully have not heard from her since. It was a disappointing experience, as I think she was very happy with it until her husband saw the price, and I was out of pocket by my time and a small amount of costs. I have since donated the quilt to a children's charity.

Last edited by mamafri; 01-17-2015 at 05:33 PM.
Old 01-17-2015, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Do not undervalue yourself and your skills.

Think about this: One of the things that drives some of us nuts is how girls and certain women think they're not good enough - not pretty enough, not skinny enough, not big enough boobs, etc. Right? And some of us get over that and some of us don't.

Well, the same goes for our quilting. We need to stop critiquing and denigrating our work and thinking it's not worthy, especially since it's a "hobby". Just because it's a hobby doesn't mean we shouldn't get paid. We need to get over that, too. There are lots of people who get paid darn good money for their hobbies.

I recommend this excellent post on the subject.

http://huntersdesignstudio.com/ew-worth-it-2/
I was just thinking...I'm a beginner with a couple quilts under my belt which I don't think were very good and your post was the next I read, thanks for the bit of boost Peckish it means more than you know, well actually you just might really know. Thank You!
Jeri
Old 01-18-2015, 05:29 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Diannia View Post
Some of my family is starting to ask me to make quilts for their family...in other words a brother (I have 4 brothers & 1 sister I wasn't raised with) asking me to make a quilt for his granddaughter. I said I would and he asked me how much. I OFFERED to do it for free using SCRAPS. If anyone else asks (and this could potentially open the floodgates of askers) I will charge them the cost of at least all materials and only make it when I want to...not when they want it done. If it takes a year to get to them then so be it...1 of my nephews (I'm close to) asked me if I'd make a quilt for him, any pattern/any size as long as it was from me). He asked me well over a year ago and I'm finally getting around to cutting fabrics to make 1 for him. That's just how I roll.

I think having a total for a quilt I have already made, handy,
when asked...show THAT to the asker...outside of those you
love and want to sew for like a child or grandchild...it will
ward off many an asker!!!
Old 01-19-2015, 01:34 AM

I used to crochet baby sweaters during breaks at work and I had a co-worker ask how much I would charge to make her one. I just happened to have the catalog that had the kit that I bought in it. I showed her the kit price and then said that doesn't even include any labor. I never heard another word about her wanting the sweater. I only knit, crochet or sew items to give away, not for sale (unless I can get into a really good craft show.)
Old 01-19-2015, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
Why do I have to pay $100.00 for my haircut and color? It is only a pair of scissors and some dye?

sandy
LOL!!!! That is very true!!
Old 04-12-2015, 10:10 AM

Diannia,

i noiced your your puppies in your photo. Are the cavachons? We have a new puppy and she looks almost like your dog.

audrey
Old 04-12-2015, 10:13 AM
Power Poster

I think you should show her your spread sheet with your slave labor paid hours. bet she wouldn't do it.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:58 AM

My neighbor two houses from me is a union plumber who works commercial sites. On the side he does plumbing jobs for neighbors. Recently I asked him if he could replace a kitchen and a bathtub faucet for me. I purchased the faucets and he furnished the rest of the supplies. He gave me an estimated cost total before he began. He ran into some unexpected problems that took more time and more supplies. The day after he finished the job, he brought over an invoice listing all the supplies and his time @$65.00 an hour. I paid him the amount and we were both happy. The same model might be appropriate for making a quilt for someone. The cost of the supplies is what they are. The hourly rate is up to each individual, but we shouldn't sell ourselves short. If we handle the transaction in a professional manner, we are more like to be treated as a professional.