Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
This is why we give quilts - not sell them >

This is why we give quilts - not sell them

This is why we give quilts - not sell them

Old 01-17-2015, 08:21 AM
Power Poster

People that do not sew have no idea what it takes to make a quilt or other craft items. I never sell my quilts....
Old 01-17-2015, 08:27 AM
DJ

Obviously it is not a new problem that people undervalue the time and effort involved in crafting. Personally, I only craft for the pleasure of it. If someone wants to pay me for something, I suggest they make a charitable donation in an amount they think is appropriate. I don't need to know which charity they choose or how much they give; so no one is offended or feels they were over charged.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:20 AM

If it's not fun it doesn't pay to do it. And in your case it sounds like it was fun right up to the time when you had to figure out what to charge. So I think the lesson is clear here.

Quilting for me is an "F" word. I quilt only for fun, family and friends that love me and are truly appreciative. Being flim-flammed, foiled or fleeced is not an option!
Old 01-17-2015, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
I give a ton of quilts away... to family and close friends getting married, etc. I also make quilts for charity, regularly. I will not make a free quilt for someone else to give away as a gift... to me that's abuse.
To me, that is cheating...they did not buy nor make the gift.

I used to work at an apple orchard, and they carried a few other things, too. I was buying some stuff for gifts, and the boss/owner tried to give it to me. I said not, it would not be a gift from me then.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:37 AM

I am just really curious about where she came up with $2.66 an hour? Minimum wage is higher than that. I worked piece work for a company back in the '80's and I made more than that an hour. Teen's babysitting make more than that, and you have a skill that you are using as well as tools that are used. Don't you realize you are worth something for your skill and knowledge. At the least you should receive $11.00 (what is your state's minimum wage) an hour and remind her that without thread the quilt would simply fall apart. Haven't you thought about thread prices today? I would share Sam Hunter's work sheets and invoice with her and you are worth more than the person that layered and tied a quilt come on. Big HUG we all need to grow our self confidence and self worth. You are not alone in this and we all need to support each other to come to terms about what we enjoy doing is worth. I was a hair dresser for years and I made good money doing what I loved to do. Isn't quilting the same thing? Sam Hunter is part of a larger group that maybe would help you in this dilemma talented people with lots of knowledge to bring to the table. Please let us know what you do, but please do something. Thank you for sharing and lift your head up high knowing that you are a valuable talented quilter and worthy of that type of recognition.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:07 PM

I don't sell my work just for those reasons. I would have to charge more than the person could afford and they wouldn't be able to offer me what it's worth.
If you're selling, you need to make at least as much as what you would make at a regular job, actually more to cover your investment in tools, materials and space or it isn't worth doing. If people aren't willing to pay what a quilt is worth they can go to Walmart and buy a blanket. Also don't price your work by Walmart standards. Their textile products are made in places like Haiti and Bangladesh where people work in truly appalling conditions and are lucky to make a dollar a day.
Rodney
Old 01-17-2015, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by roserips View Post
I am just really curious about where she came up with $2.66 an hour?
Originally Posted by cminor View Post
she came up with a total overall price after the batting and fabric total I had over what she paid. (She bought most of the top fabric - and gave me some cash for the back)

Attached is the spreadsheet to include what my labor cost ended up to be based on the total she came up with.
Basically, the "customer" paid the OP $250, and the OP wrote up a spreadsheet to show the customer how little she actually got paid for her labor. The customer didn't actually come up with $2.66/hr, that's what it worked out to be.

Reminds me of the time I made a quilt for my mother-in-law. It has over 9000 patches in it, the largest of which is 3" by 1.5". I managed to get the top done by Christmas, so I wrapped it up. After she opened it, she was rather flippant and casual about the top. My husband (her son) took her aside and made her look at the back of the top. He pointed out every seam of those 9000 patches, and told her I had stitched every single one myself. That sobered her up quite a bit and she was much more appreciative.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:29 PM

I just wonder who she can hire for $2,66 an hour to do anything. I don't think you can even hire a high school girl to do anything for you at that price. I sure would love to find someone for that price to do my cutting and "ironing". Although honestly I probably would be ashamed of myself for being such a "skin-flint." Sorry you got taken advantage of. You quilt is lovely!
Old 01-17-2015, 12:32 PM

It's amazing how much time and effort goes into even a relatively simple quilt. I don't want to think about 9000 plus pieces. I'm glad your husband took you MIL aside and pointed out the amount of effort you put into that top.
Rodney
Old 01-17-2015, 02:29 PM

so sorry you've learned that hard lesson that we need to value our own labor before others do too. I do quilt (t-shirt, etc) and long arm for others, but have had several potential customers walk away because of my prices. Basically, I will not quote lower prices for family and friends--if I want to do the work I can and gift it to them. But that old "discount for a friend" is a slippery slope which it looks like you have found yourself on---when is the discount more than you feel the friendship justifies? None of us like to feel we are powerless in our relationships. That being said, I would like to support my own quilting addiction and pay my health insurance from quilting--and am not able to--so realize the temptation to undervalue your work in order to make some money. But I have drawn that line of not doing that because once you become known as the person who undervalues your work, you tend to buy that image of yourself and it get reinforced by others. I have a friend that grossly undervalues her long arm work by saying it's "just meandering", etc. Yes, she gets tons of work--but is about burnt out because it's not rewarding labor.

When I have people--whether friends, co-workers,etc)approach me about making a quilt I'm up front on the cost and let them know that if they choose not to "hire" me, no hard feelings. I make sure that the estimate reflect
ALL materials (including thread, machine/equipment depreciations, bat and fabric, etc)and refuse to work for less that about $18/hr and include the cost of quilting,etc. At least if they say no, they now know the true costs; and it gives me time to work things I feel good about.