Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
This is why we give quilts - not sell them >

This is why we give quilts - not sell them

This is why we give quilts - not sell them

Old 01-16-2015, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by twinkie View Post
I find it impossible to put a price on my work.
Originally Posted by Bubbie View Post
You need to print up your own spreadsheet with the prices on it
Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
A few years ago I sat down and did some serious figuring. I included everything that I could think of in this.
In the link I posted earlier, at the bottom of the page, is a sample invoice. It's available in Word, Excel, and as a pdf. If anyone needs help, it's free to download and paste in your own figures. Here's the link again:

http://huntersdesignstudio.com/ew-worth-it-2/
Old 01-16-2015, 08:08 AM
Power Poster

As usual I am the oddball here. First of all I have never sold a quilt and don't plan to. I give my quilts away to family like Kids, Grands, Greatgrands, In laws, and others I think need a quilt. I donated five. I have about 40 in my storage, waiting for a quilt worthy persons, organization, Etc. Money is not a big deal for me, I already have the fabric, too much for me to ever use. I will make quilts as long as I am able. If I sold them I would not get as much pleasure out of making them.
Don't bother to bad mouth me as I will not change my mind.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:13 AM
Power Poster

Well, those prices look just fine... if the year is 1920!
Old 01-16-2015, 08:16 AM
Power Poster

I give a ton of quilts away... to family and close friends getting married, etc. I also make quilts for charity, regularly. I will not make a free quilt for someone else to give away as a gift... to me that's abuse.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
As usual I am the oddball here. First of all I have never sold a quilt and don't plan to. I give my quilts away to family like Kids, Grands, Greatgrands, In laws, and others I think need a quilt. I donated five. I have about 40 in my storage, waiting for a quilt worthy persons, organization, Etc. Money is not a big deal for me, I already have the fabric, too much for me to ever use. I will make quilts as long as I am able. If I sold them I would not get as much pleasure out of making them.
To each his own - no one should bad mouth anyone Its not our place to judge what other people do right?

This was the first quilt that I didn't "give". And only because I have literally never met the person it was intended for. To be honest this was also the first time someone asked me to make them a quilt for someone else.

I joke with friends that I have a list I will put them on. One day - who knows when - they will get a quilt. I might ask what colors you like or even a pattern - and one day you may even receive that quilt. But there would never be a price or date placed on it.

My point in this post was to help others really think about it - I tried looking some things up prior to starting this and there was not much out there. A little here and there - but I feel like this thread might help someone in the future.

I love that we give quilts. And I admire people that can make money doing something they love. I just know that going forward after going through this - that 50 hours of labor for a quilt that is for someone I don't know being given as a gift that is not from me is not something that I would not price accordingly.

Most likely - if anyone asked for a quilt this way again - once they heard the price it would be - would not be interested. However - if you are a friend - or even the mother, maybe the sister - if I know you from family functions of a friend - you may just get a quilt gifted to you!

I just told a friend (her daughter has a quilt & her sister got my Pinterest quilt

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t256530.html

by luck of the draw!) that I would make her mom a quilt. I just didn't know when!!

Belive me - I am a believer in the giving of quilts.....especially after this experience!!!
Old 01-16-2015, 10:30 AM
Power Poster

So often we fail to give ourselves credit for our time, which is an asset and valuable; which is why I do not sell many of my quilts. I have been asked by friends to make them quilts, mostly baby quilts, for which I charge $35, which is about the cost of materials, and I gift my time to them for making the quilt. I started a tradition many years ago to make a family reunion quilt for our bi-annual family reunions. My relatives send fabric, in my color choice, then they get one ticket on the quilt, any additional tickets are $1 each. I typically end up with $175-$200, which covers the cost of the additional materials which I have to buy - backing fabric, background fabric, batting, etc., etc. When I made the first quilt, I couldn't imagine what I had started, as the quilt is now the highlight of the reunions, after getting together with family of course. I have yet to win one of the quilts, much to my children's dismay; however, as long as I am physically able to make them, I will, as I feel I am passing on a possible heirloom, as well as part of myself, selfishly making sure that I'll be remembered, but also because I love making the quilts. I have a niece who quilts, that I hope will continue the tradition, but she says I can't quit yet; however, I will ask her to quilt them as she has a long arm quilting machine; this year especially since I need shoulder surgery and won't be able to quilt it. I guess that's a long answer to your question, however, do whatever makes you happy, in the end that's what is really important.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:47 AM

This experience is why I head off anyone who wants me to make something for money, or tells me "you could sell those!" (whatever "those" happen to be). Then it becomes work, involves stress (what if the "customer" isn't happy with it?) a timeline, and a lot of aggravation. I worked for many years in an office where I expected to get paid and was, but it didn't involve things I do for fun or skills I use in my "other life". Anyone who sews gets asked to do it, sooner or later, and I've done lot of "favor" sewing. But I wasn't paid, didn't expect to be, and in some cases, refused to be, because that would have changed the rules, and, maybe, the relationship. Recently, a friend showed me her daughter's bedroom drapes which she wanted modified. "She knows what she wants but she doesn't sew," she said. "And of course, she'd pay you," she said. People seem to believe that if you have a skill, it's always for sale. The last thing I wanted was to take that chore on, and, thank goodness I never had to; the subject just never came up again.

Having said all that, congrats to those who are willing to use your time and skills financially; I wish you great rewards for it!
Old 01-16-2015, 12:06 PM

I honestly do not believe that you are in the minority. From other posts, I think there are lots of quilters who do what you do, and make their quilts for friends, family, and charity.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:26 PM

Hi, I don't "sell" my quilts either, but if the recipient wants to donate some money, then that is fine with me. I am not a professional, so there are mistakes but it is my hobby and I love making quilts, throws, etc. I have four quilt racks with quilts on them, some are to give away and some are mine to keep. I have the one and only quilt (scrap) that my mother made when I was growing up. My sister and I use to lie across mom's bed and pick out our clothes from the scraps used in the quilt. I also knit, crochet and machine embroidery.
Old 01-16-2015, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by cminor View Post
I am really having a hard time because she really does think that it is a good price. And I want to be ok with it. I really do like her a lot - I did enjoy making the quilt - I am soo glad she thought enough of me to even ask me to make this. I know she is very very close to this neice.

But...even with all that said.....its hard to look at those numbers. Believe me - she by no means intended to offend me. I don't doubt for a second that she really appreciates the work and the time. And if I told her I wanted $800.00 she very well may pay that - but I would never do something like that. It is my fault for not knowing what I was getting into. But as I said before - lesson learned. Even for a good friend...be careful.

As a side note - she made a T-shirt quilt top for her son last year. She sent it to her friend out of state to "quilt". This friend tied it - put the back on - took quite a long time to do it - and charged her like $300.00. At that time I felt bad and told her - don't ever do that again - I can help you! And I would.....But in this case it was more than just putting the back on and tying it.

Its just one of those things to learn the hard way. Even though all this is said and done - I am glad to have gone through the experience.
If you don't have a longarm, PLEASE don't let yourself get suckered into quilting a T-Shirt quilt for her. I have a LA, and the t-shirt quilts are MUCH heavier than the "usual" quilts, and even with the stabilizer under them, there is still a LOT of stretch in them. I'm sure that some people have successfully quilted t-shirt quilts on a domestic machine, and I'm also sure their arms and shoulders and back were in great discomfort when they finished.

I have had people (including a boss-lady) ask me to make a quilt for them, or finish "mama's quilt" for them or so on.

If it's a completely new quilt, I use the yardage in the pattern, multiply that times whatever the current average cost of material is, add the cost of batting, add the cost of backing, and then add my usual LA quilting fee, then give them that "price quote". That's usually enough to make those who are not "serious" back off. Those that truly want craftsmanship will pay for it.

If YOU don't value yourself and your skills and craftsmanship as a quilter, others won't take you seriously either.

Those who truly understand that this is craftsmanship, (not just "craft" as the word is used so carelessly for now), will be willing to pay for your skills. Those who don't can go to WalMart and get one of those mass-produced products.

Just my two-cents worth - and we all know you can't by ANYTHING for two cents anymore.