Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wish Me Luck >

Wish Me Luck

Wish Me Luck

Old 07-08-2011, 06:15 AM

Hello Ladies and Gents,

I've been a member of the group for a very long time, but just recently just started posting.

I am originally from Chicago, IL., but now reside in FL. I really do dislike it here, and wish my hubby would reconsider and decide to move back home. Anyhow... with my move down here I've lost my sewing room. And as a result my sewing drive as well. I do have my machine set up in my room but I can't really sew on it b/c it's on a little bookshelf. Our dining room table is one of the newer "bar stool type" very high, and makes it reaching for my pedal almost impossible when i try to sew on it. So I struggle each time I want to sew in my room or on the dining room table.

I am going to see if I can put all that aside and see if I can manage on getting a project done. Before I moved down to FL, my mom and I watched a show segment of Sewing With Nancy, and she had a guest Mary Mulari, and she was converting old sweatshirts into Jackets.

Well, I did buy a sweatshirt way back when, and I just recently found it in my storage. This was supposed to be for my mom, and I want to start on it, and see if I can get it done in time for her birthday in September. It's a white sweatshirt, and I'm going to try machine embroidery, and I'm going to try and line the inside of the sweatshirt after I complete the embroidery so that you can't see the raw stitches from the inside. It sounds like a lot, but I need to get back my mojo. I love sewing and machine embroidery, and quilting I just hope my finished project looks as pretty as Nancy and her guest Mary.

Thanks for listening! I'm gonna go looking for designs now! I'll post pictures when I get something done! lol

Thanks
Wanda
Old 07-08-2011, 06:19 AM

Good luck. Hope you'll find your mojo soon!
Old 07-08-2011, 06:24 AM

I do wish you luck. These slumps are so hard to get out of and if the conditions aren't right, it's even harder. Perhaps getting started will provide the incentive you need.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:26 AM
Power Poster

You can do this.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:28 AM

Awww - its really hard to want to sew and not have a place. Is there any way perhaps that you could get one of the fold down ironing boards so that you can have a place for your machine or perhaps a closet that could be turned into a mini sewing room?
I have seen the sweatshirt to jacket idea and my mom did several. They are easy, fun and very striking - lots of room for creativity!

Good luck............
Old 07-08-2011, 06:29 AM

Thank you all! I knew I could get some support from this great group!!!

Hugs
Wanda 
Old 07-08-2011, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by JNCT14
Awww - its really hard to want to sew and not have a place. Is there any way perhaps that you could get one of the fold down ironing boards so that you can have a place for your machine or perhaps a closet that could be turned into a mini sewing room?
I have seen the sweatshirt to jacket idea and my mom did several. They are easy, fun and very striking - lots of room for creativity!

Good luck............
JNCT14, the place we rent is big enough for us, but space is limited. Closets are not that big to begin with so they can only serve one purpose. I will try the iron board idea, but first I must purchase one! Lol. Thanks again I'm sure I'll figure something out.

Hugs
Wanda
Old 07-08-2011, 06:44 AM

Would it be possible to fit your machine with a knee lift so you wouldn't have to try & reach the floor pedal?
Old 07-08-2011, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

Sounds like a great project! Good luck!!!

Concerning the dining room table, have you tried sewing standing up? I quilt that way, as it eliminates the back and shoulder fatigue I get when trying to manipulate a quilt sandwich sitting down. Alternatively, find a box or stool to raise the foot pedal (with velcro or cabinet lining to keep it from sliding).

Chicago to Florida is a huge transition. I feel for you!
Old 07-08-2011, 06:50 AM

When I FMQ I have to use my cutting table which is on bed risers. That makes it pub height and I use a pub height chair. To reach the pedal I just stacked books to the right height and put the pedal on the stack, taped down. It is actually quite comfortable to sew this way!

Hope that helps you.