Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would you have said anything? >

Would you have said anything?

Would you have said anything?

Old 04-22-2015, 08:42 PM

So nice of you to help her out!!!
Old 04-22-2015, 10:30 PM

"I don't know nothin bout birthin no quilts!"(in my best Butterfly McQueen voice...)

Seriously, I've never done it before so I was a little nervous.

But I'm almost there thanks to the members of this board!

I read about it and then dove in after dinner. I ironed the fabric-both sides are flannel-and flipped the fabric so the top of the top faced the top of the bottom

I moved the coffee table and kind of smoothed one layer at a time onto the carpet which kind of held it all in place as I put safety pins along the edge every few inches

I started my seam a little more inward to hide stitching holes from previous assembly so I think it's about 3/4" smaller all the way around

It's laying a lot better now and it seems to be trying to form it's own binding now that I've turned it out.

I have the hole closed with many pins and I'm going to sleep on it before I do anything else

Trying to figure if I just tie it and be done with it, stitch in the ditch to secure binding effect or do some kind of decorative stitching to achieve that then kind of fluff it out and tie it out(applying the "It will quilt out" principle that really does work sometimes...)

I hope she will be happy with it

I was kind of afraid I would mess it up or something

Sometimes it's the easiest things I stumble on-maybe because I'm not expecting to.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:36 PM

You know your neighbour. If you go and put it right for her will she take advantage in the future.? If your answer was yes. Or maybe leave it.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:44 PM

She's been making these things forever.

I think in this instance she just couldn't string it together because she's been so sick all week

Sick, tired, weak and on so much prednisone she's shaky.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:14 PM

She just needs a hand on this one. the stress of it all is just too much with everything going on. You're very kind to quietly help her out. No need to say much, she'll appreciate the action and thank you for it later.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:51 PM

If she is taking Prednisone, she is not sleeping. That on top of feeling ill, it is no wonder that she made a mistake. She probably was thinking quilt sandwich; backing, batting, top, so when she birthed it, of course the batting was on the outside. You are a very thoughtful neighbor/friend to have helped her with this. We should have a friend like you ❤️
Old 04-23-2015, 02:44 AM
Power Poster

There is a saying that I am striving to accomplish. Dear Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth. However, I think I would have made a comment in the context, "I know you have been sick, and I am glad to help you out, but I think the batting should be between the fabrics. I will help you fix it if you want me to." Like the other members have mentioned, I would have to say something. Good luck
Old 04-23-2015, 03:57 AM

Be nice and it will be returned to you someday.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:58 AM

I would try and tell her I would take it home and fix it for her.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:31 AM

COPD does terrible things to thinking ability. when the oxygen levels sink below normal, there is a cascade of events that happen, and hallucinations are not uncommon. the ability to sort out normal things becomes impossible. every day tasks go undone because they don't make sense. just looking at the quilt probably exhausted every capability this poor lady had. i'll be she would welcome some help, and after she is better, will be embarrassed that she had so much difficulty. the toll that oxygen lack takes is incredible, and it's something we take for granted every day. you would be a real angel to just help her out as gently as possible.