April - Boom 18

Old 05-25-2017, 09:03 AM
Power Poster

Wow... we are all chatting up a blue streak today! Love it!

Originally Posted by terriamn View Post
Opps sorry for the huge picture, don't know how that happened
I like huge pictures! I can actually see what I'm looking at. And I love your couch! LOVE that tropical leaf fabric. You did an awesome job. The secret to easy zippers is to put them in first, while you are working with flat pieces. Then sew the rest of the cushion, bag, dress or whatever it is.

Batting question: I buy huge rolls (30 yards) from Marshalls Dry Goods and just stand them on end. The poly ones are GINORMOUS once you remove the plastic. I have taken over my son's old room for quilting and they are up there. When I need some I lay the roll on the bed, roll out what I need, and cut it off.

MJP... you fell! Glad you are ok and I hope you got your head checked out. You of all people know you need to get checked whenever you hit your head. I bet those hot springs felt good.

Thanks to all for the good wishes for my back. Disc replacement was the first thing I asked about, but was told that it's not possible once you have bone-on-bone, as I seem to. But, that wasn't the dr. telling me that so I will still ask about it. Oh how I'd love to have a new disc!

I get plenty of therapy already teaching yoga and water exercise. I agree that water therapy is wonderful... esp. if you can get in a warm water (arthritis) pool. My new car has heated seats and I keep them on high all the time. They are a Godsend. Warm therapy helps my back muscles relax. But I do think I need the steroid injection for right now, to help my injured sciatic nerve to heal. Will know more when I see the spine doc on the 6th.

Well, today is our 32nd anniversary! The hubs and I have made it through all the ups and downs of life together! He's still my best friend and love... and sometimes pain in the butt.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]573610[/ATTACH]
sorry about the glare
Attached Thumbnails dsc03667-small-.jpg  
Old 05-25-2017, 09:07 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Janice McC View Post
Check out QM's Boom 17 finish. It's over on the UFO board: http://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltin...ml#post7830963
What page is it on?
Old 05-25-2017, 09:25 AM

Happy Anniversary, sewbizgirl! What a lovely photo!
Old 05-25-2017, 10:50 AM

Happy anniversary Sewbiz

MJP, glad you weren't seriously hurt.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:33 AM

Post 1140 yesterday. Pages may differ depending upon everybody's settings.
Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
What page is it on?
Old 05-25-2017, 02:36 PM

Happy Anniversary, Sewbiz! I wish the two of you many, many more. My DH and I made it 47 1/2 years.
Aren't we all a fine bunch ....grunting, groaning and quilting right on through it all. Nothing keeps us down!
Old 05-25-2017, 02:58 PM

MJP so glad you didn't seriously hurt yourself when you fell

SewBiz I have a lot of different size batting. They take up way to much room

Love QM's boom 17great connector blocks

SewBiz Happy Anniversary
Old 05-25-2017, 04:35 PM

Glad your ok mjp. Maybe you should take the fallproof class. (ha-ha) I wish a were 57 again. The cushions are beautiful Terri. Everyone that is under the weather, get well soon.
Originally Posted by mjpEncinitas View Post
I love the cushions Terri. The fabric is gorgeous and the zippers are impressive
Marietta if the therapy is in the pool it can be very effective. I wish you luck with that. Good for you, putting the work in therapy before you go to the surgery option.

I thought i would would be joining you ladies in the PT department. A few weeks ago while hiking in NM I stepped on some skree and took a tumble backwards, hit my head on a rock and tumbled feet over head down the hill and stopped just before a tree. I did what I tell my students to do , stopped, assessed, and made sure I wasn't really hurt until my husband let me know I was sitting in the midst of a red ant swarm. We found my glasses and hiked out. We were three hours by windy road from medical facilities or phone and I didn't think I had a concussion so we stayed put and DH kept a close eye on me. I was back to kayaking the next day but even now, I'm still a little sore from the fall. We did make good use of the hot springs. Thankful that I didn't break anything. I think all the exercise I normally do helped. I continued kayaking and hiking but not when I was tired. I attribute the fall to hiking while tired. I had done challenging (for me)yoga and a long kayak that day before the hike. Too much! Oh to have my 26 year old body instead of this 57 year old body. I guess I shouldn't complain though. I got out of that with not much damage.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:40 PM

Lots going on here..Happy Anniversary Sew..Libster..to one man??? wow...Both times I couldnt make it past 7 and swore Id never do it again! MJP ouch...Ive found my balance is getting worse as I age..not sure Id even try hiking anymore. My 86 year old sister goes to the pool 3 days a week for exercise..She said her hip has felt 50% better since she started the water therapy..I beleive in it! Got the binding put on the baby quilt for a friend. She wanted grey and pink with cartoon animals.. I just love it when people say "make me a quilt'...you know just pink etc..." and its up to you to design and hope you pick right! Almost got the binding on my "wine" panel quilt then Im going to start on the black April blocks...HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY to all of you..A high school friend is riding in the Run for the Wall for my cousin who died and the 4 other Howard Co Mo men who died..I cried like a baby when they came thru on I70 Monday afternoon... silly old woman ,,
Attached Thumbnails evelyns-baby-quilt.jpg  
Old 05-25-2017, 04:48 PM
Power Poster

Thank you for the anniversary good wishes!

Aren't we all a fine bunch ....grunting, groaning and quilting right on through it all. Nothing keeps us down!
True, Libster! At least we keep our priorities straight: Quilts must be made and fabric must be procured...whether we have just had surgery, need new discs, or whatever it may be!

Terri, are you talking about scrap pieces of batting, or packaged batting of different sizes? If scraps, make some more QAYG quilts with it. Use it up and then start buying batting by the roll. Not only is it cheaper, it is also neatly stored on a roll for you until you cut whatever size you want from it. Marshalls will ship! ((said the enabler)).

Hi NZQuilter! Are you thinking about joining us in an upcoming Boom?