April POM Swap

Old 03-25-2016, 05:50 PM

I'm with you QuilterMomma, dont' wear them and have never made them. Will follow along this month and watch all your fabulous creations
Old 03-25-2016, 07:31 PM

Then there was that sleepover when the girls crafted and cooked & I made 18 little aprons.
I wish I had my easy camera back then. Aprons are lovely gifts. I'm thinking, with a packet of seeds. For my
little friend Caroline. Can you tell I am obsessed??
Old 03-26-2016, 09:30 AM
Power Poster

Hi girls! I wish I had time to join in the fun, but, sadly not this month. I did run across a couple cute free patterns on the riley blake site someone might like to use for the apron swap though. Here ya go ... Happy sewing everyone! And a blessed Easter weekend.

https://www.rileyblakedesigns.com/free_sewing_projects/
Old 03-27-2016, 03:15 PM
Power Poster

My sister in laws Love aprons, one of them was celebrating a birthday so I made her two-- one for in the kitchen ( the sun flowers) one for in her art studio- she's a painter/artist. She loved them both. Wearing the sunflowers over the artist one for pictures.
gave me some practice for our project.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.jpeg  
Old 03-27-2016, 04:31 PM
Power Poster

beautiful, she ooks like she loves them. i love the sunflower best.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:02 PM
Power Poster

Pretty aprons. My daughter in law loves the full bib type aprons. Every time she is out with my son, and sees a pretty one she gets him to buy it for her. She had a beautiful one on for Christmas while fixing dinner. The only one I have made is a chef apron for my hubby who still has it. It's a full apron.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:44 AM

I must say that I'm obsessed with aprons!! I have a number of patterns, and if that wasn't enough, I was looking for a different style and finally found two that fit the bill on Etsy, and of course, purchased them! I have about 5 apron patterns by Mary Mulari, her's are darned cute and reversible too boot!! I also have some designed by independent artists, and a number of commercial patterns. I think I've exhausted the friends and family apron gift giving tho. And I have about 12 sets that are already cut and ready to sew of one of the Mary Mulari patterns!! One thing I do is when I'm out fabric shopping, is to keep my eye out for novelty fabrics that work together, such as tea and coffee, food, bugs, knitting, oriental, Route 66, seashore, etc. So by buying 2 yards of complimentary fabrics, I can make reversible aprons that will hold up to splatters and spills without soaking through a single layer, and they make a cute statement to boot! I tend to put an apron in every package of the "Secret Santa" gift exchange too.

Last edited by MizMelly; 03-28-2016 at 06:48 AM.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:07 AM

The swap asked for simple 2 pocket half aprons so let's not scare off anyone. Those aprons are fantastic but do
require a lot more effort. I'll see what my partner requests.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:09 AM

A half apron that ties around the waist and has one or more pockets are the easiest, simplest garment to make, which is the guidelines for this swap.

Although I would like to make one of those more elaborate aprons that I was listing examples of, for this swap, I will make whatever my partner requests. (half aprons can be cute and flirty without being challenging to make). Do people prefer something more utilitarian? Like an apron for a quilter? I suppose that could work, but wouldn't the tools fall out when you sit down at the sewing machine? How about a half apron with pockets for clothes pins? Yes, I could use one of those!! (I hang my clothes since I don't have a dryer). Chef aprons are half aprons that wrap and tie around the waist also.
Is someone a budding artist and needs a certain type for their crafting? I certainly do. For as many aprons as I make (most are fancy), they aren't what I'd want to use when I'm doing my soaping. Funny, I haven't made one for myself yet, and I SHOULD! Or when I'm dyeing fibers. That is another area where I could use something but don't. I just stain my clothes!!
Right now I have a mission to find a certain type of apron (cover up) based on a pinafore style from the 1800's for my sister who wants to market them to a certain group of ladies that she socializes with. It's harder to find the right style than I thought it would be. Aprons are currently the latest fad in a lot of circles, just doing a search on Pinterest or Etsy can give lots and lots of examples of many different styles. Mind boggling how far styles have come from the basic ones from the 70's and 80's.
Lots of examples are out there, many are very easy and simple, so don't be shy, join the fun and get another project/gift finished for future gifting or swapping!
Old 03-28-2016, 03:56 PM

Oh that is right, you have seen some of my jackets. Uh, well, those are jackets, not aprons. Now I have been caught. LOL