Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Birthday swap 2017/2018....... Sign Up >

Birthday swap 2017/2018....... Sign Up

Birthday swap 2017/2018....... Sign Up

Old 04-30-2017, 03:09 AM

OK swappers, I went to mail my envelopes for May yesterday morning and was told that they would require $2.60 of postage each! I said that with previous mailings of the same sized envelopes that I used two forever stamps. The response from the post Office counter staff was that the receivers, some of you, would have gotten the envelope with a postage due notice. Did any of you get a postage due envelop from me? There is a BIG difference between a couple of "forever" stamps and $2.60. I want to make it right by you if you had to pay additional postage from me.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:16 AM

For anyone else who might be wondering, if you go to www (dot) usps (dot) com and click on "calculate a price" you can see a chart with costs for first class and priority based on addresses and weight.

$2.60 is what they show for first class, with thickness variation over .25", up to three or four ounces.

I've been following this chart for quite awhile and have never had a problem, unless someone here gets a postage due notice.

So there won't be any surprises, you do have to enter both addresses and weight. I did it just once using my nephew's California address, as far from Michigan as any I would be mailing.

I have a wonderful carrier, and just put them in the mailbox for pick-up figuring she'll tell me if it's wrong.

Sorry, I forgot how to do a link.

Last edited by AnnieQuilts; 04-30-2017 at 06:19 AM.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:08 AM

WMUTeach, I received your card and candies in the mail yesterday. I love the candies you sent! Thank you so much! How did you get so many oranges? I am thrilled to get them, I will use them on one of the birdie blocks.
For postage, if any one has to pay for extra postage I hope you will let me know so I can correct it. I have been using the 2 ounce stamp (butterfly) and as far as I know there has never been a problem.
I didn't send out the other three candies as I said I would yesterday. What can I say, life doesn't always happen as you want it to.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:27 AM

That price is correct for over .25 inches thick....but if your envelope is UNDER .25" , and BENDABLE, the price is 70 Cents. So lay them out thin ladies and no stiff cardboard. Read the postal regulations to know the definition of bendable and take a copy when you go. They will drop your envelope through a .25" slot to confirm thinness.

I'm sorry to report we have 2 post offices near us, and one will type for 15 min trying to charge me the highest price they can , the other post office will charge correctly and talk to me about options.

If you need more information, like postal regulation number/copy or how to lay out 50 charms under .25", let me know. Let's use the system to our favor because there are many more birthdays to go.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
OK swappers, I went to mail my envelopes for May yesterday morning and was told that they would require $2.60 of postage each! I said that with previous mailings of the same sized envelopes that I used two forever stamps. The response from the post Office counter staff was that the receivers, some of you, would have gotten the envelope with a postage due notice. Did any of you get a postage due envelop from me? There is a BIG difference between a couple of "forever" stamps and $2.60. I want to make it right by you if you had to pay additional postage from me.
No postage due on mine.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:24 PM

I haven't gotten any with a postage due. I go to the dollar store and get the big birthday cards that they carry, then I lay out 2 wide rows and 4 long rows( 7 little bundles), over-lapping up and down about an inch and this gives me room to add about 5-7 extra squares. It either costs 70 or 72 cents. Hasn't mattered if I was in Wyoming or Florida. WMU teach I just mail them in the envelope that comes with the card. It is more expensive if you are putting them in a manila envelope also. Send just like you would a regular birthday card to someone. If your postal service is charging you more doing this, something is very wrong!!
Old 05-01-2017, 02:25 AM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JABA! I hope you have a wonderful day!
Old 05-01-2017, 05:19 AM

Happy Birthday, Jaba!
Old 05-01-2017, 05:43 AM

Happy birthday Jaba!
Old 05-01-2017, 06:47 AM

Have a fantabulous Birthday, Jaba!