Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Birthday swap 2017/2018....... Sign Up >

Birthday swap 2017/2018....... Sign Up

Birthday swap 2017/2018....... Sign Up

Old 06-13-2017, 05:36 AM

Ladies, I am so happy to hear that you are making quilts for older kids and families. Here, the Linus and ABC quilters seem to make 30" quilts. The goal seems to be quantity. I find that so disappointing, because the quilts we use in our family last about 20 years, so certainly that Linus or ABC child will grow out of the small quilt quickly, and an older child won't be able to use it at all. We quilters usually have enough extra fabric that it is possible to make a larger, usable quilt.

Thanks for all you do!
Old 06-13-2017, 05:50 AM

I think the ladies on this board are some of the most talented and generous women on the planet
Old 06-13-2017, 07:25 AM

Mrshalibut, thank you for recognizing the importance of quilting for older kids. I make mostly quilts for teenage boys and I'm lucky to work with a chapter coordinator who really appreciates getting them. Sometimes I get so tired of the masculine fabrics and patterns that I just have to cut loose and make something really pink and girly. But this cause is very dear to me, and it's so encouraging to know others understand.

Originally Posted by mrshalibut View Post
Ladies, I am so happy to hear that you are making quilts for older kids and families. Here, the Linus and ABC quilters seem to make 30" quilts. The goal seems to be quantity. I find that so disappointing, because the quilts we use in our family last about 20 years, so certainly that Linus or ABC child will grow out of the small quilt quickly, and an older child won't be able to use it at all. We quilters usually have enough extra fabric that it is possible to make a larger, usable quilt.

Thanks for all you do!
Old 06-13-2017, 10:53 AM

I think it is so wonderful that so many of you make quilts to donate to worthwhile organizations. Maybe some day I will be able to make quilts that can be donated. Right now I keep busy just keeping up with quilts for friends and family. I am looking forward to getting back to sewing. I haven't touched my machine since mid January and really do miss it.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:09 AM

Any Red, White & Blue Fabrics is needed by Quilts of Valor (QoV) in any given month. Oklahoma QoV chapters combine our quilt projects & send to shut in elder vets, stateside vet hospitals & nursing homes, and mostly to in-hospital active military overseas. There is a website if you're interested in donating time or material.

My predicament was trying to frilly up a regular QoV quilt for lady military personnel! Sewbiz is right, the quilt will determine who it belongs to! I had put some sparkly fabric on a QoV I was working on & took it to the VA Center a couple towns over. The recipient was a blind lady (retired USN Nurse) who said she could feel the raised sparkly fabric & could tell it was stars!!! Very rewarding work!
There are so many donation points for your lovely quilts, I'd Google additional listings.
hugs,
dj
Old 06-13-2017, 04:17 PM

Received so far:

5/24 Barbarakibler23
5/24 WMUTeach
5/25 oldcatlady
5/25 Jane Quilter
5/25 Patrick's Mom
5/25 Jaba
5/26 Sunrise450
5/26 MizMelly
5/27 have4boys
5/27 Gaijin
5/30 pinkflowers
5/30 Kele
5/30 Moonrise
5/31 JuanitaBean
6/1 djmat
6/1 Onaemtnest
6/1 AnnieQuilts
6/2 Crispy Frog
6/2 Clmay
6/2 JaniceMcC
6/3 aborning
6/3 Travelinggramma
6/3 Red Stilettos
6/5 lum
6/6 SheriR
6/8 Rosemary Attaway
6/12 Happylab
6/12 Anoka Quilter
Old 06-13-2017, 04:17 PM

Thank you Happylab and Anoka Quilter!
Old 06-14-2017, 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
Jaba, you were asking about places to donate quilts......Have you checked with local refugee programs? So often these folks quietly go without bedding or bed for that matter. I am planning on giving mine to a site in St. Louis call Oasis International Ministries. They have a 10 year track record of helping locate housing, job training, teaching English and assisting the whole family get comfortable in a new country and culture. My understanding is that refugees are newly vetted families who have come to the US with little or nothing of their own possessions. I just sent them an email asking if they would accept new quilts. If not, I know of a local church in my city that is assisting in a similar way but on a much smaller scale. My brother and sister-in-law are tutoring the children of a Syrian family with English so they can succeed in school.
For anyone interested, I just got an e-mail message from Oasis International and they welcome quilts. So, that will be my donation organization for the time being.

"Wow! We love quilts and the refugees really love them. Thank you so much for thinking of us.
Yes we would love for you to send them to us. God bless you, Mark"

Last edited by WMUTeach; 06-14-2017 at 02:49 AM.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:00 AM

LuciaLPL and Crispy Frog, I sent your candies on Monday, June 5 along with Kele and Patrick's Mom's candies. They received theirs on the 9th and 10th. Could you check again just to be sure? And if you received it with the envelope torn or something, please let me know.

Thank you,
mrshalibut aka JoDee
Old 06-14-2017, 11:25 AM

I think I'm in hot water! I finally mailed candies to Kele, Patrick's Mom, Crispy Frog, and LuciaLPL. Sorry most are late.
Annie Quilts, yours will be mailed on Thursday.