Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Birthday swap 2017/2018....... Sign Up >

Birthday swap 2017/2018....... Sign Up

Birthday swap 2017/2018....... Sign Up

Old 06-12-2017, 07:49 AM

Patrick's Mom and Crispy Frog, hope you too both had a great birthday.

Sounds like you had a really fun day Crispy Frog.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:34 AM

Crispy Frog, It sounds like you had a great weekend celebration with family and friends. Happy birthday belated birthday.

To answer your question, my sewing machine symbol is on my laptop computer, under quick reply. When I push the happy face button, then I hit more button, and hit the symbol I want, in this case the sewing machine symbol.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:53 AM

sounds like the best birthday ever....
Old 06-12-2017, 04:11 PM

Crispy, lucky duck, with a hubby that bakes, wowser. Mine does a great BBQ but hasn't made friends with the oven in 38 yrs! Oh, well, he does his own laundry, so I guess we're even. Sounds like you enjoyed your BD & that fresh blueberry cobbler, sounds yummie!!!!
hugs,
dj
Old 06-12-2017, 05:08 PM

Jaba, you were asking about places to donate quilts......Have you checked with local refugee programs? So often these folks quietly go without bedding or bed for that matter. I am planning on giving mine to a site in St. Louis call Oasis International Ministries. They have a 10 year track record of helping locate housing, job training, teaching English and assisting the whole family get comfortable in a new country and culture. My understanding is that refugees are newly vetted families who have come to the US with little or nothing of their own possessions. I just sent them an email asking if they would accept new quilts. If not, I know of a local church in my city that is assisting in a similar way but on a much smaller scale. My brother and sister-in-law are tutoring the children of a Syrian family with English so they can succeed in school.
Old 06-12-2017, 06:03 PM

And there's always Project Linus that helps children (up to 18 yrs) in all kinds of bad situations beyond their control.
The chapter here especially needs quilts for older kids, and I expect that's typical.

Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
Jaba, you were asking about places to donate quilts......Have you checked with local refugee programs? So often these folks quietly go without bedding or bed for that matter. I am planning on giving mine to a site in St. Louis call Oasis International Ministries. They have a 10 year track record of helping locate housing, job training, teaching English and assisting the whole family get comfortable in a new country and culture. My understanding is that refugees are newly vetted families who have come to the US with little or nothing of their own possessions. I just sent them an email asking if they would accept new quilts. If not, I know of a local church in my city that is assisting in a similar way but on a much smaller scale. My brother and sister-in-law are tutoring the children of a Syrian family with English so they can succeed in school.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:56 PM

Hello Ladies....

How wonderful that you are making quilts for those in need! Love that our little squares will be helping someone!<3

A few notes......

RosemaryAttaway and Anoka Quilter.....welcome back glad to see you ladies here again.

Hav4boys ....enjoy your cruise to Alaska. My sister and her husband are going on one also. I think they might even be going around the same time. They have a "vacation" house in Alaska and live in Florida. (nice to have money) hope to get to Alaska sometime soon.

Happylab...nice block ....I love batiks. Are making a quilt with this square?

Sewbizgirl....only 2 Ikea boxes I think you must be making good progress with your candies.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:59 PM

Crispy Frog.....I looked all over for your birthday message. I wrote one up on my phone ON June 11th but didn't actually send it! I am sorry. But it sounds like you had a fun day.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:13 PM
Power Poster

Hope you had a great birthday, CrispyFrog!
Old 06-12-2017, 08:21 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jaba View Post
I started going through my closet and have been quilting like crazy to get all of these UFO's finished. I have about 6-7 quilts that are made with these candies....all pieced....just laying there waiting to be quilted and finished. Anyone know of donation places to send them???? I've run out of organizations here.....they still have some ready to be put to use. My house is over flowing
Hi Jaba,
I always advocate donating locally, but if you are willing to ship them, I can give them to my group, Love, Piece and Joy Quilters of First Baptist Church, Florence MS. We provide quilts to the local hospital for organ transplant patients (people with longer hospital stays), and also provide for a local children's shelter run by the church. The quilts are handled amazingly well.... never just given out 'willy-nilly'. Each quilt is matched to the right person. Our leader has long standing relationships with the coordinators in both places, and they are as careful in giving our quilts as we would be. Most of the quilts I make end up donated this way.