Boom 17 - TOPAZ

Old 12-03-2016, 11:44 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]563112[/ATTACH]
You bonus heath news for today! You're welcome.
Attached Thumbnails img_1876.jpg  

Last edited by GramE; 12-03-2016 at 11:48 AM.
Old 12-03-2016, 04:32 PM
Power Poster

I hadn't thought about using a flannel backed tablecloth! Genius.

I have several saving me a seat, too...
Old 12-03-2016, 05:13 PM

Yep, I was going to suggest a flannel-backed tablecloth for the design wall too. Buy the biggest size you can find after a holiday sale. It doesn't matter what's on the front anyway, you'll hang it up with the flannel side showing.
Old 12-03-2016, 05:42 PM

For you adventerious ladies...what size batting do you use when you do the QAYG way to quilt? I just used regular batting on the first (and only) one I have done...didnt know if there was a "perfect" thickness to use. Thanks!! Oh..my youngest grandson was here today and I let him watch me open the blocks..He wanted to take them all home with him but when he saw the sponge bob one he went wild...yelling about sponge bob..and I thought he was gonna spaz out. LOL I guess they meet his approval!! Glad he cant read because of the one with Conners name on it. I just LOVE having a block with his name...and the embroderied blocks are each so unique...THANK YOU again!!
Old 12-03-2016, 05:44 PM
Power Poster

I used Hobbs 80/20 mostly cotton batting for mine. It's batting I buy by the roll. Really fat fluffy batting like poly will be harder to work with than the thinner battings.
Old 12-03-2016, 05:49 PM

I almost always use either 100 cotton or the 80 / 20 cotton poly. Easier to cut in the exact square you want, stays put, easier to quilt and takes an iron if you need it. I like the stuff that has a wider minimum quilting distance too, try and get over 7 inches and as close to 10 as possible just in case I get tired of quilting (not my favorite under any circumstance)
Old 12-03-2016, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by joanelizbay View Post
For you adventerious ladies...what size batting do you use when you do the QAYG way to quilt? I just used regular batting on the first (and only) one I have done...didnt know if there was a "perfect" thickness to use. Thanks!! Oh..my youngest grandson was here today and I let him watch me open the blocks..He wanted to take them all home with him but when he saw the sponge bob one he went wild...yelling about sponge bob..and I thought he was gonna spaz out. LOL I guess they meet his approval!! Glad he cant read because of the one with Conners name on it. I just LOVE having a block with his name...and the embroderied blocks are each so unique...THANK YOU again!!
Whew! Glad Sponge Bob was a winner! ❤️
Old 12-03-2016, 06:09 PM

I looked through the gallery this afternoon and was really impressed with the imagination and talent in this group. Wonderful blocks, ladies. I hope to join you for #18.

Thanks for the link, Janice, and just FYI, it didn't show up in your signature on the PM like it does in your profile. Maybe that's just my computer.
Old 12-03-2016, 07:40 PM

Kass what great memories of your Grandma.
Old 12-04-2016, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by joanelizbay View Post

I used Warm & Natural cotton in mine. I have 3 sides to hand sew down on the binding and then I'm done. I'll post a pic on here when I get it finished. I'm loving this way of doing them. Just a FYI- use an old mat for cutting your batting.