Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 103 1 2 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: Boom 17 - TOPAZ

Boom 17 - TOPAZ

It’s finally time to play! Welcome to Boom 17, Topaz!

F8s due to me: Thursday, August 18, 2016
    I ship to you: Monday, August 22, 2016
    Topaz’s blocks due to me Friday, November 25, 2016

I mail Topaz’s blocks Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Topaz, 3 month group

Bibliostone
    Billi
    GramE
    Jaba
    Joanelizbay
    Libster
    Ljdugas
    Francie Yuhas
    Ibex94
    Janice McC
    Kassaundra
    Mollymunchkin
    Moonrise
    Moonwork42029
    NanaKathy55
    QuilterMomma
    Muse&Sew
    Seasaw2mch
    Terriamn
    TravellingGramma

By now, you should be in full swing preparing fabrics. Please wash, press, remove selvages, cut into F8s, bag, label with your name and any requests, and then put them into a large ziplock type envelope inside your mailing envelope. Remember, you will be shipping with tracking. All fabrics must be in my hands on or before Thursday, August 18 and I will turn around and send them out on Monday, August 22. IF all fabrics are in sooner, I'll mail sooner.

Important: Everyone in Topaz, 3 month group, should send me 19 F8s. Please make sure they arrive by Thursday, August 18.

Shipping: When you mail to me, please do so in whatever manner you wish as long as you’ve mailed with tracking. Please review shipping rules below and be sure to send me the tracking number as soon as you get it. Be sure to include $6.80 for return shipping. If the money/stamps are missing, I will hold your package until I receive it. No checks or Paypal please.

Please have fun! It’s time to play with fabric you might not normally use, show your skills, make some new friends, say hello to old ones, and generally enjoy the experience. Let’s go!

Janice McC

Rules/Guidelines:

Please make sure to also refer to the basic policies that apply to all swaps through the board: RULES FOR SWAPS AND SIMILAR ACTIVITIES -Updated 8 December 2010.

Fabric, Completed Block and Package Preparation:
    1) Please pre-wash your Fat Eighth (F8) fabric before cutting into Fat Eighths by removing selvages, pre-washing and pressing. Cut your fabric into Fat Eighths, generally about 18” x 11”. Mail them to me.
    2) When mailing your F8s to me for distribution, please make sure they are individually sealed in a Ziploc-type bag. Label each F8 with your board name along with any instructions or color requests. (DO NOT SPECIFY A RECIPIENT unless a fabric is being directed to a particular person. Doing so slows my sorting process immensely.) Labels are useful to help the recipient prevent fabric mix-ups, something that’s easy to do. When you send your completed blocks back to me, please seal and label your completed blocks with the owner’s name AND your name in a similar manner as you did the F8s. (Your name is important so that the owner knows who made what block.)
    3) Please mail your F8s to me so that they arrive by Thursday, August 18. The sooner you get them to me, the sooner they go out! Be sure to send me the tracking number as soon as you ship.
    4) Carefully handle all fabric received and completed blocks, placing them somewhere safe until mailing time comes.
    5) To help keep track of the fabrics and blocks made, I will establish an online Fabric Gallery.
    6) You are REQUIRED to keep in touch with your group by posting to the dedicated Boom 17 thread at least every 2 weeks. This is a requirement. If you don’t wish to keep in touch, this is not the swap for you.
    7) All blocks must be completed within the time frame for the group and mailed to me with a tracking number.
    8) All blocks should be 12 1/2” unfinished. They may be regularly pieced, paper-pieced, appliquéd, whatever the block maker decides to do. It is up to each individual. Again, the feeling is to get a true friendship quilt out of this. Please do not request specific blocks as the idea is to let everyone, of every skill level, join in and try new things and grow. Before mailing, be sure to clean up the blocks by trimming your threads and cutting dog ears.
    9) Most importantly, HAVE FUN!

IMPORTANT SHIPPING DETAILS
    You must supply me with tracking numbers on all parcels sent to me and I will do likewise when I mail to you. All shipping costs are your responsibility. You may ship to me in whatever tracked package you like, however I will ONLY ship to you in USPS Padded Priority Envelopes at a cost is $6.80, unless other arrangements have been made. You may supply me with a pre-paid or pre-stamped USPS Padded Priority Envelope (available for free at USPS.com) or send me $6.80 in well-concealed cash and I will supply the envelope, whatever is easier for you.

Keep in mind the following:
    You MUST be in good standing with previous swaps. Anyone with a poor track record of fulfilling swap commitments will not be permitted to join. If you do not fulfill your commitment, negative feedback will be given.
    All skill levels are welcome but you must be able to sew a basic, well-constructed block. It need not be fancy or detailed but it must not be falling apart. I respect new quilter’s need to learn and that will be taken into account.
    PLEASE pre-wash fabrics without any fragrance residue. Please note that that some swappers may be smokers or have pets. If either pets or smoking is a serious problem for you, you may find this isn’t the swap for you.
    NO public complaints or criticisms for any reason are permitted. ALL complaints must be addressed by Private Message (PM) or email to me at [email protected]. NO EXCEPTIONS!
    Gallery: Boomerangswaps.weebly.com

People may not remember what you looked like or what you said but they will always remember how you made them feel! ~Joanelizbay

Emails will be going out to everyone shortly. Please reply so I know you've received them and are still on board to participate. Thank you!

People may not remember what you looked like or what you said but they will always remember how you made them feel! ~Joanelizbay

Linked to the new thread... he he he ... can't hide from me
    Lisa L.
    Howdies from Possum Trot (yes it does exist)
    My most recent swap - Boomerang 16

LOL, we'd never even try!
    Quote Originally Posted by moonwork42029 View Post
    Linked to the new thread... he he he ... can't hide from me

Topaz is a symbol of love and affection, and has been said to be an aid to ones sweetness and disposition.

Topaz gets its name from the Greek word topazion, which may originate from the Sanskrit tapas, meaning, “fire.”

Oh yeah... that's me for me alright.... I need something to aid my sweetness & disposition!
    Lisa L.

Lisa are you suggesting our dispositions need to be sweetened?

Quote Originally Posted by terriamn View Post
    Lisa are you suggesting our dispositions need to be sweetened?
    It was on the internet so it must be true ........
    Lisa L.

I'm so sweet I give people diabetes!!! lol lol lol
    "Never cruel, nor cowardly, never give up, never give in."

Let's take care of the Earth, it is the only planet that for sure has Chocolate.

Sonic screwdrivers, fez, bow ties, and Stetsons are cool.

Blog Entries
    Where is that like button for Kass.?
    Life is short, live it while you still can. QuilterMomma

Oh, man! I'm sure glad I've got on short pants today! LOL It's getting deep.
    My 19 F8s are going out tomorrow. Will email tracking number as soon as I get back home. Janice, look for special envelope inside Topaz group. Can not wait to get started!
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...56-albums.html

take time to build memories with the kids

Hi Kids

Wow it's getting deep in here fast hahahaha
    Lisa Everything on the internet is true it has to be cause I read it on the internets.
    Billi
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood

Quote Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
    can someone explain to this dummy how this swap works please.
    We swap sarcasm until the fabric shows up!

GramE/pat
    "I listen, the fabric speaks"

Inklingo makes me happy❤️

Lynnie, please ignore the crazy people here. They've gotten slap happy waiting for this to begin. And because I think this might just be a real question, I'll answer with the easy version first: You send out fat eighths and they come back to you made into blocks by the other members, just as you will have done for their fat eighths. That's the gist of it.

You can read the long version in the first post of the signup thread. If you are willing to read all that, you might just want a cuppa joe to keep you awake through it. http://www.quiltingboard.com/member-...280335-29.html

Follow along with with us this round and if it looks good to you, join us in January for Round 18!
    Quote Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
    can someone explain to this dummy how this swap works please.
    Last edited by Janice McC; 08-01-2016 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GramE View Post
    We swap sarcasm until the fabric shows up!
    Who? Us? Be sarcastic? Say it ain't so! ����

I have had an interesting and fun few days. Received my DNA results back from ancestory. Com. And was very disappointed and skeptical of the results. Our family is Heinz 57, knew my great great grandmother was Native American and we had very little Scandinavian, which is very unusual in Minnesota The skepticism Is because Native American wasn't listed but only a trace amount of Scandinavianwas was listed and knew that was correct. Went online an started researching the census reports etc and have gone back as far as finding the parents of my great grand parents. Surprised to find out the DNA report is pretty accurate so far. Sure has turned out to be a fun and eye opening expierence I am Heinz 57 but according to the DNA results 47% is Western European and 29% is Irish Guess I will be wearing green from now on when it's St. Paddy's day

Reminder, everyone should reply to the email I sent out if you haven't yet done so. If anyone didn't receive it, please let me know asap. Thank you!

Very interesting! One of my minor hobbies is genealogy. I've been tempted to try the DNA as well. As far as I can tell, I'm exclusively Northern European but who knows what lurks a few more generations back. I figure we're all pretty much a mix of everything and everyone in the world, as you say Heinz 57, and everyone's blood flows red so we should all get along! Oops...off my soapbox.

Quote Originally Posted by terriamn View Post
    I have had an interesting and fun few days. Received my DNA results back from ancestory. Com. And was very disappointed and skeptical of the results. Our family is Heinz 57, knew my great great grandmother was Native American and we had very little Scandinavian, which is very unusual in Minnesota The skepticism Is because Native American wasn't listed but only a trace amount of Scandinavianwas was listed and knew that was correct. Went online an started researching the census reports etc and have gone back as far as finding the parents of my great grand parents. Surprised to find out the DNA report is pretty accurate so far. Sure has turned out to be a fun and eye opening expierence I am Heinz 57 but according to the DNA results 47% is Western European and 29% is Irish Guess I will be wearing green from now on when it's St. Paddy's day

Blog Entries
    I'm very wary of stuff like the DNA samples and stuff written in genealogy books from years past. My moms side were Gallemores and dads side was Hawkins from New York....found a Gallemore book written by a long ago cousin and found mistakes immediately.. I did mine in the early 70's before internet, having to use micro film and books and letters (gasp)...I'm sure there are mistakes in mine but at least Ive found back as far as I can without having to go to Europe to continue...I'm lucky enough to have pictures of great grandparents on both sides and hand written letters on the Gallemore side...Don't know what will happen once I'm gone but at least all the kids, grandkids etc will have the basics! My advice to them will be DONT believe everything you read till you see it on an official document!
    People may not remember what you looked like or what you said but they will always remember how you made them feel!

This is the link to my albums for all Boom swaps.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...99-albums.html

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  46.0 KB
    How can this be a quilting thread & the only pics are Dolphins? I made this for Terri for her Boom 16 quilt. I didn't feel good about the one I had originally made her. This one has 80 pieces, hand sewn, then I sewed the strips together on the machine. But it measures exactly 12 1/2 inches. Just what I was hoping for! So many florals this time but I know I can't make them all Cleopatra's Fans, but I might try! Hey, this is the 3 month group, I might get more than I thought!

the haha about this is that I went to the ophthalmologist yesterday to get scanned & measured for removing my cataract & she said you are legally blind in your right eye! You all might wanna check & make sure I sent you a full fat eighth! The technician said I'm compensating with my left. I was 20/40 in June now I'm 20/100. Medications are good things with difficult side effects. But with the artificial lens in place there should be no more changes. So it is good I won't be building any quilt blocks until after next Thursday!
    Last edited by GramE; 08-02-2016 at 09:23 AM.

GramE/pat

GramE, that block is gorgeous!
    My F8s went into the mail today. Tracking number sent to Janice.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...56-albums.html

take time to build memories with the kids

GramE That block is just beautiful and hand sewn ! WOW

Quote Originally Posted by Libster View Post
    GramE, that block is gorgeous!
    My F8s went into the mail today. Tracking number sent to Janice.
    yours is on the top of my list! I love your fabric. 80 pieces is a lot but not as many as before!

GramE/pat

Quote Originally Posted by ljdugas31 View Post
    GramE That block is just beautiful and hand sewn ! WOW
    thank you. I began hand sewing 2 years ago out of necessity being stuck off my feet a lot. I've come a long way & it is hard not to have a project to be working on but I'm trying to clear up some so my guilt pile won't be so large. I'm good at starting projects then seeing something else pretty & hopping on to it! That is why I loved my first Boomerangswap. One and done! Move on to the next pretty. Perfect for the ADD in me!

GramE/pat

Package is in the mail... tracking info emailed to Janice.
    Lisa L.

Blog Entries
    Beautiful Block Gram!! I wouldn't attempt it!! Package mailed and tracking to Janice...
    People may not remember what you looked like or what you said but they will always remember how you made them feel!

This is the link to my albums for all Boom swaps.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...99-albums.html

Page 1 of 103 1 2 11 51 101 ... LastLast